Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball vs K-State and OU on Saturday

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Volleyball vs K-State and OU on Saturday

    http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1431300

    Wish I could make it but unfortnately I can not.

    Would love to have a first hand report if any ShockerNetters are able to take in the matches.

  • #2
    I may try to make it out. Should be interesting.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

    Comment


    • #3
      I made it out to see the match with OU, although I had to leave a little before it was done.

      Obviously there are only so many things that you can tell from scrimmages like these, with both teams being pretty vanilla on offense and with all the rotations being tried. Nonetheless, there were two major things that I took away from what I saw:

      1. Mary Elizabeth Hooper looked really good. While the timing between her and the hitters will need to improve, she certainly looked like she had been setting these players for far longer than she has. I can see why Lamb compared her to Panzau in her style of play, and am encouraged about her ability to come in and replace Abbey (a hard task) from the get go.

      2. I thought that Amanda Moore's ball handling was much improved. In past years, her digging, passing and setting (when out of system) were always an adventure. Today she handled that part of the game pretty well, including a couple of nice out of system sets. Lamb has talked about wanting her to be a major factor for us on the right side, and I thought that her game looked more mature.

      I'm sure that others that know volleyball better than me learned a lot more than that out of what we did. Certainly Lamb will take away much more than that, but that is what it looked like to me.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the report TMH.

        The scrimmage actually received some press in the Wichita Eagle:

        http://www.kansas.com/250/story/364096.html

        New addition to next year's roster:

        WSU has added left-side hitter Peyton Thompson, a transfer from East Carolina, to its roster. Thompson, also from Plano, will be a junior next fall. She played in 31 matches for East Carolina last season and hit .251.
        Peyton is a 5'11" OH who attended the same high school (Plano, TX) as Mary Elizabeth Hooper. I suspect MEH comng to WSU may have had something to do with this transfer.

        :goshocks:

        Comment


        • #5
          Did anyone go to the volleyball banquet Saturday night? How did you like it?
          Some posts are not visible to me.
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Thanks for the report TMH.

            The scrimmage actually received some press in the Wichita Eagle:

            http://www.kansas.com/250/story/364096.html

            New addition to next year's roster:

            WSU has added left-side hitter Peyton Thompson, a transfer from East Carolina, to its roster. Thompson, also from Plano, will be a junior next fall. She played in 31 matches for East Carolina last season and hit .251.
            Peyton is a 5'11" OH who attended the same high school (Plano, TX) as Mary Elizabeth Hooper. I suspect MEH comng to WSU may have had something to do with this transfer.

            :goshocks:

            From what I understand, she's pretty darned good. No MEH, mind you, but still pretty darned good. Our last transfer paid dividends immediately and has to be considered as at least a contender for Valley POY.


            I'm not sayin' Peyton is any Emily Stockman......

            Comment


            • #7
              A person I work with is a friend of the Lungren family and told me about the VB banquet. He said they had several people talk (Lamb, Sara, Abby) and it ended with a video. Apparently it went well. I was curious to see if 1972, WuDrWu, Royal or someone else from SN attended.

              I got to see one game in the KSU-WSU match Saturday morning but was busy the rest of the day. I can't wait to see how the team does next fall. I am a little worried because Sara has been the focus of opponents' defenses for at least two years and this focus helped other Shockers get kills, etc.
              Some posts are not visible to me.
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                A person I work with is a friend of the Lungren family and told me about the VB banquet. He said they had several people talk (Lamb, Sara, Abby) and it ended with a video. Apparently it went well. I was curious to see if 1972, WuDrWu, Royal or someone else from SN attended.

                I got to see one game in the KSU-WSU match Saturday morning but was busy the rest of the day. I can't wait to see how the team does next fall. I am a little worried because Sara has been the focus of opponents' defenses for at least two years and this focus helped other Shockers get kills, etc.
                We have enough depth of hitting that I think that we can absorb the loss of Sara, especially since most of those hitters were young, and now have a lot more experience as they become upperclassmen.

                In addition, as much as Sara's injuries hurt us last year, it also meant that with her not always at 100% we were not relying on her as much as we might have otherwise. Nonetheless, Sara and Abby will not be easy to replace, but the top to bottom talent level of the team just keeps getting better and better.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

                Comment


                • #9
                  I believe Mike Kennedy said that Lambo will be on this week's Shocker Sports Report shown Thursday on Cox 22 at 6:30 and 10:30.

                  Perhaps Lambo will shed some light on what he has seen so far.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    SF316, I was unfortunately not able to attend the Volleyball banquet, so I am no help to you there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I missed the Shocker Report yesterday. Did anyone else happen to watch it. If so, any gems from Lambo? TIA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I didn't get it. I record the 1030 slot and it was replaying the WSU baseball game
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Downsizing Government - Part of the Cato Institute
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        Cato Institute - A libertarian take on the issues
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        MVCFans Alternative, Where ALL Voices Can Be Heard - Come join the party

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So Hooper graduated a semester early and is already here?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rrshock
                            So Hooper graduated a semester early and is already here?
                            Yes, she did and yes, she is.
                            The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As did Dana.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X