• Shocker Volleyball Classic - Fri 9/2 and Sat 9/3

Shocker Volleyball Classic Schedule:

Friday, 4:30 pm: Marquette vs IUPUI
    Friday, 7:00 pm: Cincinnati vs Wichita State

Saturday, 10:00 am: Cincinnati vs Marquette
    Saturday, 1:00 pm: IUPUI vs Wichita State
    Saturday, 5:00 pm: IUPUI vs Cincinnat
    Satruday, 7:30 pm: Marguette vs Wichita State

A pretty condensed schedule against some decent teams with each team playing 3 matches in a 24 - 29 hour period. Cincinnati will play its 3 matches within a 24 hour period. IUPUI will be be spread over a 26 hour period bu they are the only team that has to play back-to-back matches. Marquette appears to have the best time slots as far as rest between matches is concerned plus their matches are spread out over around 29 hours. The Shocks 3 matches will be spread over about a 26 hour period but they don't have to play back-to-back like IUPUI does.

Marquette who the Shocks beat in a 5-setter last year in Milwaukee is expected to challenge Creighton for the Big East title. Marquette traveled to LA last weekend where they notched an impressive 3-1 win over USC, beat Santa Clara 3-1 and lost to UC-Irvine in a 5-setter.

Cincy is a solid pick to win the AAC this year. Not sure if the Shocks and Bearcats have matched up on the VB court previously or not. Cincy went 2-1 last weekend in Knoxville losing to the host Vols and winning 3-1 and 3-0 over Middle Tennesee State and Louisiana Monroe, respectively.

IUPUI who knocked off the Shocks 3-1 last year in Milwaukee are picked to finish 3rd in the Summit League. Southern Illinois beat the Jags 3-1 last weekend. IUPUI also lost to Duquesne 1-3 and they swept Central Michigan.

This will not be an easy weekend by any means. Should be some high level, entertaining Volleball in Koch Arena this weekend. Let's get out their and support the Shocks.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Marquette who the Shocks beat in a 5-setter last year in Milwaukee is expected to challenge Creighton for the Big East title. Marquette traveled to LA last weekend where they notched an impressive 3-1 win over USC, beat Santa Clara 3-1 and lost to UC-Irvine in a 5-setter.
    Indeed the Marquette win over USC (no, not Upstate South Carolina, the other USC) makes you sit up and take notice, but the Trojans managed to lose all three matches last weekend. Santa Clara swept the tournament, so the other Marquette results are reversed - they lost to 3-1 to Santa Clara and beat UC-I in five.

Comment

These should be available this weekend.
      Attached Files
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I hope they'll have some at subsequent matches. I can't make it this weekend.

Comment

goShockers.com Shocker Volleyball Classic Tournament notes.

BTW if their is high demand for 6-5 models I like Kara Maleski's prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I hope they'll have some at subsequent matches. I can't make it this weekend.
            Would you like me to pick you up one?

Comment

Bringing the family to our first volleyball game tonight. Are seats GA? Or reserved? Sideline probably best view? How early should I get there to get through ticket line and get a good seat?

Comment

goShockers.com Shocker Volleyball Classic Tournament notes.

BTW if their is high demand for 6-5 models I like Kara Maleski's prospects.
                Yep, height has its advantages and disadvantages… :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                  Bringing the family to our first volleyball game tonight. Are seats GA? Or reserved? Sideline probably best view? How early should I get there to get through ticket line and get a good seat?
                  All seats are GA except for a scattered few that will have covers over the chair backs. If you are a member of something-or-another, you get a reserved seat.

For your first game, the side view is probably best. But sitting in the "end zone" gives you an interesting view of the movement of the ball on serves and the movement of the players on both offense and defense.

Hmm. Promotions for tonight include free t-shirts to the first 1000 people and face painting for the kids with pictures with WuShock. Depending on your interest in any of that, plan accordingly. We have season tickets, so I have no real feel for the ticket line, although it could be lengthy for the home opener - unless high school football eats into the crowd some.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    All seats are GA except for a scattered few that will have covers over the chair backs. If you are a member of something-or-another, you get a reserved seat.

For your first game, the side view is probably best. But sitting in the "end zone" gives you an interesting view of the movement of the ball on serves and the movement of the players on both offense and defense.

Hmm. Promotions for tonight include free t-shirts to the first 1000 people and face painting for the kids with pictures with WuShock. Depending on your interest in any of that, plan accordingly. We have season tickets, so I have no real feel for the ticket line, although it could be lengthy for the home opener - unless high school football eats into the crowd some.
                    Thanks for the info.

Comment

Shocks won the 1st set 25-19 then lost the next 3 sets to Cincy to drop to 1-2 on the season.

I thought the Shocks looked pretty good until they reach set point in the 1st set. After that it was mostly down hill.

Cincy by far and away had the best offensive player on the floor in long and lanky 6-4 OH Jordan Thompson (#23). However, while she was terrific, I don't think she was the main reson the Shocks lost. Personally, I thought the Shocks mostly beat themselves with some sloppy volleyball and way too many self-inflicted mistakes.

Hopefully, the Shocks will get most of that sloppiness cleaned up. They would not appear to have the fire power to overcome such sloppy play against the better quality teams on their schedule.

Shocks went with the 5-1 offense all the way tonight although I doubt the 6-2 would have made any difference.

Kind of disappointing. Anyone hear Lambo's post-game comments?
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 3, 2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Cincinnati 3-1 Shockers

-19, +22, +21, +24

From the post-game show:

The offense is not very consistent yet. Lambo likes what we are doing (the system, I take it) - we are just not doing it well enough inside the system. We have to get more production from behind the setter. We hit .345 in the first set, but hit no higher than .156 in any of the last three sets. I understood him to say the Cincinnati would sometimes leave Jody and Katy alone (only one blocker on them?) and we weren't finding them enough.

We played in the 5-1 the entire match with Giorgia being the libero in the first set and Dani thereafter.

Cincinnati served very well, and the libero had some great ups. Their #23 was a load.

Comment

Also

Marquette 3-0 IUPUI

16, 14, 15

Comment

The Shocker history wall on the NW quadrant of the arena concourse was very sharp I thought. Not sure about what hey have done with the Shocker Hall of Fame. I will have to check that out in more detail up close and personal when I have time.

Comment

Would you like me to pick you up one?
                              It would be awesome, and supremely appreciated if you could!

Comment

Working...
                              X