Shockers at Iowa State Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    My assumption was this was deemed to tough of a first-weekend tournament for some fourth team to come onboard - thus, just three teams. Or was this never going to be more than three teams? Anyone have any insight?
    Mike Kennedy mentioned on one of the few parts of Friday's webcast that I was able to catch that Iowa State did try to find a 4th team but was unable to. So they had to settle for a 3-team tournament. However, you have to admit this was a very competitive and equally matched group of teams. Certainly about as tough as an opening weekend as you would want.

Comment

From the Coach's Show:

The Shocks would have liked another match at Ames because of being a mid-major, but Lambo expects Creighton and ISU were not disappointed because they will get their RPI in conference. Creighton will roll through the Big East and get 25+ wins, and ISU will be ranked sometime this year.

The 6-2 this weekend was a bit sloppy, but the Shocks got better swings out of it. The 5-1 gave the team more stability.

Lambo talked about the number of new players - either by experience or as freshman: Regan, Giorgia, Katy, Alex, Tabitha.

Current rankings with changes (old:new) for some: Shockers 35:35, Creighton 18:22, Iowa State 32:36, Texas 3, Colorado State 25, Marquette 33, Missouri State 38

There was some conversation about the adjustments Giorgia was making to the style the Shockers play from the style Italian teams play. It was not that technical, but I won't try to explain. :) Giorgia was Freshman of the Week in the Valley. Lambo also said he will continue to promote Mikaela because he thinks she is under-appreciated. There were some remarks about Jody being in the middle of everything during much of the Creighton match.

Mke and Lambo gave an overview of the challenge process that is available in the NCAA on a home-team-decision basis. (If you watched Olympic volleyball, you saw it used.) No team in the Valley will use it this year, but it was used at Iowa State and will be used at Colorado State. Lambo thinks that in time, everyone will use it.

There was some discussion about the return games that allow the Shockers to host good tournaments. Visiting teams know the Shockers will have a good RPI and think they cannot be *that* tough, so they are willing to come. There was some light discussion about the teams coming this weekend (Cincinnati, IUPUI and Marquette) that all are expected to do well in their conferences and will have 20-25 wins.

That is all I can get out of the notes I scribbled. :)
      Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2016, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Chris Lamb Radio Show

Did Lambo say anything about why Dani Mostrom didn't play much in the CU Game? He said something at one point that I couldn't quite understand so I wondered if that was when he might have mentioned it. The radio link was so bad during the game that I quit trying to listen to it & depended on following the live stats.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
          Did Lambo say anything about why Dani Mostrom didn't play much in the CU Game? He said something at one point that I couldn't quite understand so I wondered if that was when he might have mentioned it. The radio link was so bad during the game that I quit trying to listen to it & depended on following the live stats.
          No mention of Dani tonight. I think it is pretty clear he thinks Giorgia is the better libero. With him being a stat freak, I suspect she has demonstrated that in practices.

(A rough approximation of) Two comments I recall about Giorgia: 1) In international volleyball, the libero is expected to dig everything and their defensive systems are set up to reflect that. As a consequence, she reads the upcoming swing quite well, and 2) in international volleyball, the passes by the libero are expected to be high whereas Lambo wants the passes lower so he can execute the offensive system he wants (different routes to different spots by different people). Again, a rough approximation.

Even though Dani was Valley Libero of the Year last year, this will not be the first time a returning First-Teamer has taken a secondary role in the following season. MaryAshton Floyd had the same thing happen in 2015.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

No mention of Dani tonight. I think it is pretty clear he thinks Georgia is the better libero. With him being a stat freak, I suspect she has demonstrated that in practices.

(A rough approximation of) Two comments I recall about Georgia: 1) In international volleyball, the libero is expected to dig everything and their defensive systems are set up to reflect that. As a consequence, she reads the upcoming swing quite well, and 2) in international volleyball, the passes by the libero are expected to be high whereas Lambo wants the passes lower so he can execute the offensive system he wants (different routes to different spots by different people). Again, a rough approximation.

Even though Dani was Valley Libero of the Year last year, this will not be the first time a returning First-Teamer has taken a secondary role in the following season. MaryAshton Floyd had the same thing happen in 2015.
            Georgia looks like a keeper; impressive credentials...

Giorgia Civita (19) Libero - 2019 Junior Named to the American Athletic Conference Preseason All-Conference Team...Selected to the AD's honor roll...Missed the
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

WSU VB Defense

I had read about Civita on G0Shockers.com before the VB101 dinner. I happened to meet her there, & remembered the one word of Italian I know which is "Chou" meaning "hello". I told her I am impressed with her bio and wished her well. She talked about learning Chris's system, etc.

There will be times with Lambo will use 2 or 3 defenders on the back row, so I'm sure 2 of them will be Civita and Dani Mostrum. I'm not sure about the 3rd one. She could be Hannah Shelton or Gabi Mostrum. Regardless, it's going to be fun to see how that works out!

Comment

From the Coach's Show:

The Shocks would have liked another match at Ames because of being a mid-major, but Lambo expects Creighton and ISU were not disappointed because they will get their RPI in conference. Creighton will roll through the Big East and get 25+ wins, and ISU will be ranked sometime this year....

Giorgia was Freshman of the Week in the Valley. Lambo also said he will continue to promote Mikaela because he thinks she is under-appreciated. There were some remarks about Jody being in the middle of everything during much of the Creighton match.....

Mke and Lambo gave an overview of the challenge process that is available in the NCAA on a home-team-decision basis. (If you watched Olympic volleyball, you saw it used.) No team in the Valley will use it this year, but it was used at Iowa State and will be used at Colorado State. Lambo thinks that in time, everyone will use it.....

There was some discussion about the return games that allow the Shockers to host good tournaments. Visiting teams know the Shockers will have a good RPI and think they cannot be *that* tough, so they are willing to come. There was some light discussion about the teams coming this weekend (Cincinnati, IUPUI and Marquette) that all are expected to do well in their conferences and will have 20-25 wins.....

That is all I can get out of the notes I scribbled. :)
                Good stuff, Moose. I'm always interested in Lamb's opinion because I respect the heck out of him as an opposing coach. I'm not as sure Creighton will "roll through the Big East" since Marquette's got a talented setter and OH (watch Blasier and Louis this upcoming weekend) and Xavier knows how to win, but the RPI will be good in the end and the win over CU is certain to be a "good win" for WSU.

I thought Civita and D. Mostrum were both good in the back in the CU match. Mostrum seemed to add a spark when she came in late. Raudsepp made a bunch of key plays late, so I'm glad to see her get recognition from her coach.

In the Big East, only Creighton and Marquette are using the review system this season. I wonder if it has to do with the quality of video available. Not all schools have video webcasts, but some do (like Xavier) that are also not participating in replay. Which MVC schools provide video?

I'd be very interested next week in hearing your thoughts on comparing Creighton as an opponent to Marquette. Good luck in your home tournament!

PS. I see Lamb is carrying another huge roster of 25. How many usually play over the course of the season? Creighton's team is 40% smaller at 15 players. All but 2 have already seen action.

Comment

Originally posted by JayPak View Post

PS. I see Lamb is carrying another huge roster of 25. How many usually play over the course of the season? Creighton's team is 40% smaller at 15 players. All but 2 have already seen action.

I don't know how he does it, and I've asked lol.

One way I know that gives us an advantage is he can offer 4 for 5 for some players, allowing them to redshirt and get used to college, and high level D1 competition when most aren't ready, and let's face it, it's a lot easier to pay your way for 1 year at WSU than CU.

Lambo is great at building families here, and I think they love finding great kids that may never contribute on the floor, but are such amazing young women that they add to team in many other ways.

You can certainly be a great teammate and help them win without scoring a single point or making a block or diving for a dig.

Comment

WSU Roster Size

I thought it was interesting at the VB 101 dinner was how Lambo used 24 players for the post program scrimmage. He divided them up into 4 teams of 6 players each. Once the game started, if one team lost a point, they immediately ran off the floor and the team behind them took their place. This went on for 30 min's. Lambo said later that one idea of this approach was so everyone would rotate around and have to play every position including the back row. The idea of it was for everyone to build their all around skills. WSU does have 25 on the roster, but as you know, Jenny Whitledge is out for the year with an injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
                      In the Big East, only Creighton and Marquette are using the review system this season. I wonder if it has to do with the quality of video available. Not all schools have video webcasts, but some do (like Xavier) that are also not participating in replay. Which MVC schools provide video?
                      It seems the issue is having enough cameras and having them in the right places (the end lines, for example). Lamb used a challenge in Ames, but there was no camera on the end line, so the review was inconclusive and the call stood.

In these times, I suspect all schools have live streaming video packages for sale. Whether those are useful for a challenge system is something I can't answer.

Comment

• You're probably right on both counts. Creighton has video in HD and I know there are multiple camera angles but I don't know exactly where they are.

Comment

• UNI hosted Iowa State tonight, and just about broke the Div. 1 record for points in a set (in the 25-pt era), which happens to be held by the Shockers.
                          Panthers scored 124 in a [27-29, 40-38 , 25-23, 17-25, 15-10]. (WSU has scored 127 in their 2014 match against Bowling Green)

Comment

• Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                            UNI hosted Iowa State tonight, and just about broke the Div. 1 record for points in a set (in the 25-pt era), which happens to be held by the Shockers.
                            Panthers scored 124 in a [27-29, 40-38 , 25-23, 17-25, 15-10]. (WSU has scored 127 in their 2014 match against Bowling Green)
                            Good win by UNI.

Comment

Working...
                            X