4. Northern Iowa (1) 72

5. Illinois State 57

6. Loyola 50

7. Indiana State 41

8. Drake 33

9. Bradley 18

10. Evansville 15

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy

Seems about right. I would flip Loyola and ISURed. I really think that program is going to be good down the line. Their coach is a rising star.

UNI had some good freshmen last year, I am a little surprised they aren't 3rd. I think they are the biggest threat to WSU/MSU this year.

Comment

Wow! there are some surprises in that list.

Evansville worse than both Bradley and Drake? That's hard to do.

Missouri State got a vote for 1st place? That might be more far-fetched than Evansville finishing behind Bradley and Drake.

Illinois State (with the best talent 1-12) doesn't seem to get much respect. Must be some perceived problem with their coaching staff to be expected to underachieve like that with that kind of talent.

Missouri State second? Please don't tell me the Valley has sunk that low. Maybe it's that report that put Daquon Miller as the best player in the Valley and one of the top 100 players in the nation.

Edit: I just figured out this is for volleyball. I'll leave the original part of the post unedited. Hope it's good for a chuckle for somebody.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Wow! there are some surprises in that list.

Evansville worse than both Bradley and Drake? That's hard to do.

Missouri State got a vote for 1st place? That might be more far-fetched than Evansville finishing behind Bradley and Drake.

Illinois State (with the best talent 1-12) doesn't seem to get much respect. Must be some perceived problem with their coaching staff to be expected to underachieve like that with that kind of talent.

Missouri State second? Please don't tell me the Valley has sunk that low. Maybe it's that report that put Daquon Miller as the best player in the Valley and one of the top 100 players in the nation.

Edit: I just figured out this is for volleyball. I'll leave the original part of the post unedited. Hope it's good for a chuckle for somebody.
        My first thought…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          1. Wichita State (seven first-place votes) 97 points

2. Missouri State (1) 85

3. Southern Illinois (1) 82

4. Northern Iowa (1) 72

5. Illinois State 57

6. Loyola 50

7. Indiana State 41

8. Drake 33

9. Bradley 18

10. Evansville 15

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy
          At first glance, I thought I was in the basketball forum and about lost my mind at MoST in 2nd. The rest of it actually looks about right.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see how this team does. Expectations are high, but I don't see much separating WSU, MSU, UNI and SIU.

Perhaps freshman libero Giorgia Civita can help provide a difference?

I believe WSU will be strong and deep at the setter position, very strong but not deep at all in the middle, and very very strong defensively with their littles.

The question is what do we do with the injury to Jenny, do we go to a 6-2, and how do we score from the pins? Raudsepp can be excellent, but needs to be more consistent. Can Brown bring some pop?

I'm concerned about wear and tear on Larson over the course of the season, especially with Jenny out.

This team should be good, if not really good, but imho, they'll need something a little unexpected, at least from an outsider's view, to be outstanding.

Looking forward, as always, to Volleyball 101 tomorrow.

Comment

It won't take long to figure out what the Shocks have with the challenging non-conference schedule Lambo has put together.

Just around the corner as Shocks travel to Ames, Iowa for two very touch matches against Iowa State on this coming Friday (6:30) followed by a match against Creighton on Saturday (4:00).

It would not be too surprising if the Shocks start out the season 0-2 but that certainly would not condemn the season. A 1-1 start would be very acceptable and a 2-0 start against these teams and at this location would be an exceptional good start.

Here are this season's promotions for Shocker Volleyball: http://www.goshockers.com/news/2016/...announced.aspx

Comment

Another great time at the 101 tonight.

Trust me when I tell you, we didn't lose any ground at all switching out Shimen for Tabitha.

I think we have some really good freshmen.

There are just so many good people associated with this program.....it's a special, special group. Here's to another great year.

Comment

More from the VB 101 dinner

Lambo said last night that they are prepared to use both the 5-1 and 6-2.

Comment

If you needed another reason to be a really big fan of the Brown family (yes, Tabitha is Zach's sister), during the team introduction Tabitha stated that, so far, her favorite moment as a Shocker was beating ku this spring.

The Brown family appears to enjoy putting the wood to that team up north.

Comment

I missed something --- what happened to Jenny?

Comment

Tore her knee, ACL and actually fractured her femur in the process, according to Lambo Saturday night.

She'll miss the season.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Lambo had high hopes for her this year according to his radio interview --

Comment

Originally posted by PointShockers View Post
                            Thanks for the update. Lambo had high hopes for her this year according to his radio interview --
                            Yes he did. He addressed this during the scrimmage and it reminded me, someone who only has a rudimentary understanding of the sport, why 6 rotation players are so important.

Jenny can pass like few others. That's important when you're in the back row, clearly.....I've always thought of the 6-2 as a more specialized offense.

You're putting specific people in specific spots to increase (hopefully) production.

Well you need setter depth to start (and we have that) but you also need 6 rotation players that can succeed all the way around. Why, someone like me asks?

Because of limited substitutions. The 6-2 doubles your subs...and likely keeps you from subbing out other players because of the 15 sub rule.

You learn something new everyday....or at least if I don't, I am reminded of something I forgot.

Bottom line, losing Jenny probably cost the team the chance to play a lot of 6-2.

Comment

Few takes from vb101..
                              If you have never been you need to get there. I know this has been said before but it is a really great time.
                              We hear that the man who had the medical issue in the food line is recuperating, scary for everyone around when that happened.
                              Hear a lot about the 6-2 but it seems the 5-1 is our go to and a strength. I can see us going to it when Emily needs a rest.
                              Freshman middle,(with the long black hair) showed some very good plays...could she possibly help this year?
                              Looking forward to a great year!

Comment

Working...
                              X