Conditioning in the Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning in the Sand

WICHITA, Kan. – The Wichita State volleyball team has taken a unique approach to strength and conditioning this spring. The team has been working out three days a week on the indoor sand volleyball courts at the Wichita Sports Forum.

How good is this guy? He's been called a mad scientist, but wanna bet coaches try to copy this all over the country?

Lambo is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      How good is this guy? He's been called a mad scientist, but wanna bet coaches try to copy this all over the country?

Lambo is awesome.
      Lambo is awesome. However, in this case, it is not like he invented playing VB in the sand nor invented it as a great conditioning tool. I am quite sure Emily Stockman and Lambo have had conversation about her sand VB experiences and even the casual fan could see that Emily was absolutely ripped after her time playing sand VB. Not to mention that RJ Abella has been on the South Carolina sand volleyball staff for several years now and you know he and Lambo have no doubt discussed its benefits extensively.

I think Lambo has been licking his chops to do this for a while now but until the Wichita Sports Forum opened he did not rally have the facilities to do so. It will be very interesting to see if we will be able to notice the impact on the hard court next fall. In any case, I think this is here to stay as a training regimen and I believe Lambo is probably campaigning for WSU to add a Sand Volleyball program to its lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I believe Lambo is probably campaigning for WSU to add a Sand Volleyball program to its lineup.
        Perhaps, but of the fifteen players on the volleyball roster at South Carolina, only four of them (two seniors - no more eligibility - and two freshmen) are among the twenty playing beach volleyball (as they call it). There is no overlap whatsoever among the staffs of the two sports. I can understand Lambo's interest in beach volleyball because recruits ask about it, but he doesn't have time to mess with it. Perhaps that is all you were saying - if recruits have an interest in the sport, then he has some interest.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 7, 2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          Perhaps, but of the fifteen players on the volleyball roster at South Carolina, only four of them (two seniors - no more eligibility - and two freshmen) are among the twenty playing beach volleyball (as they call it). There is no overlap whatsoever among the staffs of the two sports. I can understand Lambo's interest in beach volleyball because recruits ask about it, but he doesn't have time to mess with it. Perhaps that is all you were saying - if recruits have an interest in the sport, then he has some interest.
          The overlap situation is true at South Carolina but the opposite is true at other programs that have Sand Volleyball. For example, at National Champion Nebraska their 13-player regular volleyball roster and their Sand Volleyball roster is identical. Whether there is overlap or not does not preclude Lambo from talking about the benefits of sand training with R.J. Abella (or other coaches for that matter) does it?

Whether Lambo has discussed this with John Cook or not (would not surprise me at all if he has) the fact that Nebraska is doing this gets your attention.

IIRC I believe Lambo has commented about recruits inquiring about sand volleyball so you may be correct that recruiting is the driving force behind his interest in adding the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            The overlap situation is true at South Carolina but the opposite is true at other programs that have Sand Volleyball.
            I looked at Florida State (because they are from a P5 conference and are on South Carolina's schedule) and USC (because they are on Nebraska's schedule) and the relationship between Volleyball and Beach Volleyball at Nebraska is unique. (Caveat: small sample size - I didn't look anywhere else.) All but Nebraska play an eight to ten week schedule pointing to the NCAA Championships and have their own roster (three duplicates at Florida State and no duplicates at USC) and a separate coaching staff for each sport. Nebraska basically plays two weeks - maybe a spring break schedule in Hawai'i and California? - and has the same roster and coaches.

How many BVB programs are setup like USC and USC? How many are setup like Nebraska (and still point to the NCAA Tournament)? I don't know.

I could believe Nebraska is putting a toe in the sand to look at Beach Volleyball. I could also believe they are using those two weeks to reward the team with a nice trip and allow them to have some fun on the beach. But they do not have a BVB program yet.

The main point is, yes, I absolutely believe the Mad Scientist will leave no shell unturned to see if the beach can be beneficial to his VB program.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              The main point is, yes, I absolutely believe the Mad Scientist will leave no shell unturned to see if the beach can be beneficial to his VB program.
              Agreed. While Lambo clearly didn't invent training in the sand he and his coaches will not doubt develop their own unique training regimens and stations that reflect is standard thinking outside-the-box way of approaching things.

Comment

Throw in some trampoline racing for some extra fun.

Just as long as no one takes a header into the chain link fence.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 8, 2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X