spring schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring schedule

Hear that the spring schedule consist of trips to Norman, Tulsa, Colby and Kansas City. Not sure of dates.

No specifics but hear we beat OU and North Texas. Played all five games of each match, won first four against the Sooners and three against NT.

Comment

Sounds like Katy Dudzinski made some progress in the middle this spring. Sorry to hear that Rylea Kilburn's foot injury ended her career before she could get started.

Wichita State volleyball player Katy Dudzinski is a 6-foot-2 middle blocker, which rarely gives her a size advantage. Her advantage is speed, and to use that speed to get more swings she needs to be properly positioned.

“To get more attempts, basically you’re just working harder,” she said. “You have to read where the pass is going to be. You have to read where the blockers are going to be. My problem was that I was kind of guessing a lot in the fall. Then I would not be very confident in my decisions.”

Dudzinski, as a junior last season, averaged 3.2 attempts a set. Her inexperience at the position kept her from finding the right openings and setters looked elsewhere for points. WSU coach Chris Lamb uses his middles more than most coaches and he would like Dudzinski to double her attempts.

WSU used the two-setter offense almost exclusively during spring practices, which ended earlier this month. That puts Dudzinski close to the setter, which puts her in better positions to score.

“I’ve really upped my attempts,” she said. “I’m pretty fast and … (those plays) really allow me to use my speed to my advantage in the gaps. That’s why I have progressed a lot this spring.”

Dudzinski moved to the middle last spring after playing on the pins her entire career, in part because a career-ending foot injury suffered by freshman Rylea Kilburn left Lamb short on middles. The year of experience helps Dudzinski read blockers and work with setters with more precision.

“She’s powerful and she’s got an amazing motor,” Lamb said. “She wants it so bad and I’m super happy for her.”

Comment

There were some things said over the last year that made me wonder if Rylea would ever play again. Very sad that she won't, but walking and living a normal life for decades to come is far more important.

As is typical, but not taken for granted, with this program, Rylea is an intelligent and bright and engaging young woman who will be successful in whatever she does in life. I wish her the very best.

Now, we had 23 young ladies on the roster last season. Katie, Mary Ashton and Jacklyn graduated and Rylea is retired. That's 19 left.

We signed 8 plus Tabitha Brown. That's 28. TWENTY EIGHT. Do we know anyone else that isn't returning or do we have to raise money for extra lockers and jerseys?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          We signed 8 plus Tabitha Brown. That's 28. TWENTY EIGHT. Do we know anyone else that isn't returning or do we have to raise money for extra lockers and jerseys?
          Very hard to imagine that we would carry 28 players on the roster. I would be surprised if we don't have some roster turnover. But I kind of looked on with some amazement when Lambo built his roster to 23 players and seems to be able to do so without negatively impacting team chemistry or togetherness. And it's not like next year's roster will be loaded with seniors. Only 3 at this point. Dani, Jody and KatyD and no redshirt juniors.

Comment

Not loaded with seniors but that could be half the starting lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
              Not loaded with seniors but that could be half the starting lineup.
              Could be. Dani for sure. Jody is a good possibility. From the comments in the Eagle sounds like KatyD might be as well. We will have to wait and see I suppose. In any case, depth certainly doesn't look like it will be an issue. I suppose a lot will depend on what kind of offense Lambo decides to go with and what kind of rotations he will want to use.

Comment

Depth is definitely not a problem, but do we have quality depth?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                  Depth is definitely not a problem, but do we have quality depth?
                  Obviously that is key. I think we do. Maybe not Nebraska or Penn State kind of depth but I think we will have very good depth relative to our Valley foes. How much that really means I suppose is debatable. Sure comes in handy if the injury bug hits. Otherwise it is probably more valuable in pre-season tournaments then it is in Valley play although kids can get worn down over the course of a season. It will be interesting to see what impact, if any, the sand volleyball conditioning plays on the team's physical conditioning and health.

Comment

Working...
                  X