Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Home Stand vs Evansville (Friday @ 5:00 pm) and SIU (Saturday at 7:00 pm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Home Stand vs Evansville (Friday @ 5:00 pm) and SIU (Saturday at 7:00 pm)

Shocker Match Notes and Info.

The Shocks play their final two home matches of the season against Evansville (8-19, 4-11) and SIU (14-13, 8-7). I saw the Shocks play both of these teams on the road.

No pressure on Evansville as they have been eliminated from qualifying for the Valley Tournament. Ashley Ring is a very good player for Evansville but they don't have a whole lot behind her and I fully expect the Shock to sweep the Aces as they did in Evansville. This would also help with clearing out the arena and parking lots for the men's BB game to follow at 8:00.

Any person who presents a MBB ticket to the Shocker Ticket Office receives FREE admission to the Evansville match. Check out the Match Notes linked to above for info regarding parking on Friday.

Saturday night, at least on paper, should be a much tougher match. SIU is coming off a big home win over UNI so their confidence is probably at a season high. The Shocks have not been able to beat UNI this year (so far). While the Shocks did sweep SIU in Carbondale I was impressed with several of the arms on the SIU team. Another sweep of the Salukis even at home will not be easy. Both SIU and WSU have clinched spots in the Valley Tournament so they are now playing for seeding.

Saturday is the final home match of the season and is Senior Night. However, Lambo said that Kristen Byers, our only senior, told him she did not really want anything special. Hopefully, Kristen will receive some acknowledgement but I'm not sure what to expect. Kristen played very little prior to this season but she has played 50 of 91 sets this season and has made some nice contributions when she has played.

It would be nice to draw a couple of good crowds and get back into the Top 10 in attendance this year but there is an awful lot of Shocker action this week as the VB matches booked the Men's BB game on Friday and the Women's opener against Creighton on Saturday afternoon.

A few things applicable for Saturday:

Wichita Eagle Family Night - 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 bags of popcorn & 4 drinks for only $32

Blackout Match - All fans encouraged to wear their favorite black Shocker gear

Alumni Match - Former Shocker volleyball players will be playing an alumni match immediately following the SIU match

Just a note on the Alumni Match which is usually just 1 set. I hope more than about 50 fans will hang around for that. It's not great VB but it's fun to recognize some of our former players. I also hope they do a better job letting the fans know that Alumni will be playing after the match.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2014, 05:30 PM.

Wichita Eagle article on Friday's logistics and parking.

Comment

When UNI played at Evansville this past Saturday, both of the Purple Aces' setters were injured. They had to resort to their freshman OH (who is 2nd on the team in kills) taking over the setting duties. Which not only limits the setting (pretty much nothing but highballs according to Bobbi), but also takes away much of their offense.

Don't know if their setters are still out this week, but I doubt the Shockers have much trouble getting that win at home.
      SIU will be much more competitive, though I don't know if the Salukis have had that much success on the road.

Comment

Dr. Skill finally living up to her name.

Ashlyn has been simply electric in her last 8 matches with her production finally catching up to her potential.

I'm beginning to see that Lambo made some top notch staffing choices in promoting Matt Hoffman and hiring Sean Carter.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 14, 2014, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Shockers 3-0 Evansville
          10, 13 and 10

The Shocks won the first set with no challenge from the Purple Aces. Evansville stayed around for a short while in the next two sets, but once the set starting going south for them, it went south in a hurry.

The Shocks hit .553, their second highest percentage ever, while Evansville hit just .087. Abbie was 16/0/22/.727, Mash was 10/0/18/.556 and Ashlyn was 9/2/17/.412. Mash had a number of her kills, maybe half of them, from the back row.

We played a 5-1 the entire match, using the eight from sets four and five against Missouri State. Michaela subbed for Jenny late in the third set.

Evansville only dressed seven. They had three other players here, but not in uniform.

All in all, a very solid performance against a woefully outmanned foe.

Attendance was 3321.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; November 14, 2014, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Other Friday Scores

Missouri State 2-3 Southern Illinois
            15-25, 27-25, 25-19, 19-25, 13-15

Northern Iowa 3-1 Indiana State

Drake is hosting its weekend matches on Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

@flyingMoose: described the Evansville match very well. Domination of an overmatched opponent. SIU will be a handful tomorrow evening.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

WSU’s volleyball recruiting class includes setter Jordan Roberts of Corpus Christi (Texas) Calallen and Warhill (Va.) High outside hitter Alex Koon and coaches are waiting on two more letters.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...#storylink=cpy

I find volleyball recruiting and rosters, at least Lambo-style, very interesting and somewhat intriguing. We have 22 ladies on the current year roster. Only 12 of those can be on Volleyball scholarships. So we have 10 walk-ons.

We only have 1 senior, Kristin Byers, and I'm not sure she is on scholarship at this point. Yet Lambo is bringing in 4 new players next year. You would think you would have a lot of kids unhappy about lack of playing time. But that sure doesn't seem to be the case generally and his teams seem to have very good chemistry. Not sure how Lambo makes this work but he does which I find to be quite an impressive feat.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2014, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Enjoyed the match last night (maybe not as much as Eric Sexton and Greg Marshall - the turn around for BB wasn't too painful), but I have a question. The introduction video with the chalk is brilliant and I never get tired of watching it. fun to watch the opposing players and coaches reaction to it as well. Does anyone know if a link exists to that video? can't seem to find one. Want to share it. Thx.
                  If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
                    Enjoyed the match last night (maybe not as much as Eric Sexton and Greg Marshall - the turn around for BB wasn't too painful), but I have a question. The introduction video with the chalk is brilliant and I never get tired of watching it. fun to watch the opposing players and coaches reaction to it as well. Does anyone know if a link exists to that video? can't seem to find one. Want to share it. Thx.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by Rixtoy1 View Post
                      Always check the GoShockers youtube feed for updates. This video was only uploaded last week I think, and I'm right there with you. It's awesome and I love watching those girls have fun like that. We asked a few of them about it at the dinner and they all commented how much of a blast it was to make.

Volleyball Intro Video

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;512835]Dr. Skill finally living up to her name.

I'm a little stunned that you would comment "finally" on Driskill. She has been playing great for years. Do you remember she was the only WSU player to be on the All Regional Team for the Sweet 16. I'm a fan!

Speaking of people that do not receive enough recognition....Hiebert is a terrific setter and not much is said about her either.
                        It's all in who is promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by Katiesteedy View Post
                          I'm a little stunned that you would comment "finally" on Driskill. She has been playing great for years. Do you remember she was the only WSU player to be on the All Regional Team for the Sweet 16. I'm a fan!

Speaking of people that do not receive enough recognition....Hiebert is a terrific setter and not much is said about her either.
                          Driskill has certainly shown flashes of brilliance, but she has been wildly inconsistent in the earlier part of her career. I think we have all been encouraged by her play when she's on, but worried that if she isn't getting kills she will start getting blocked or having lots of hitting errors. This isn't surprising out of an underclassman, but the story on her meeting her potential as an upperclassman has always been about consistency and she appears to be finding it.

I think most of the comments I have seen on Hiebert have been very positive. The reality is that on the heels of Hooper and Feekin, the expectations for setter play are very high so it is hard to stand out when that is what fans have been used to seeing. The fact that we haven't seen a big dropoff in setting does speak very well for the future because she looks like she is going to keep that tradition of fine WSU setting alive and well.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

[QUOTE=Katiesteedy;513345]
                            Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Dr. Skill finally living up to her name.

I try to be fair and objective. Not everyone is. No one on this board has been a bigger supporter and promoter of Shocker VB and it's players than I have. I have probably given Emily as much or more positive praise as anyone. However, I will state when I think a player can improve or is struggling as well as when they are doing great.

As far as Ashlyn goes I have not said anything about her that Lambo himself has not also said and, in fact, was pretty much the subject of the article on Ashlyn in this week's Eagle so I feel like I am in pretty good company there and my observations have been validated.

Comment

Other Saturday Scores

Northern Iowa 1-3 Illinois State
                              17-25, 15-25, 25-19, 16-25 - the Panthers could not make their losing sets particularly close

Missouri State 3-0 Evansville

Drake 3-0 Indiana State

Bradley 2-3 Loyola

Illinois State plays at Drake tomorrow to complete the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X