Jam The Gym Night - Shocks vs Missouri State - Friday, 7:00 pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Last night's attendance of 5,127 was 5th best in Shocker history.
    You knew it was a good crowd when people started taking the covers off the upper level seats 15 minutes before game time. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, I don't know how you couldn't enjoy the product last night. A great match, a great environment and the Shocks win.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      You knew it was a good crowd when people started taking the covers off the upper level seats 15 minutes before game time. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, I don't know how you couldn't enjoy the product last night. A great match, a great environment and the Shocks win.
      Not only is it very entertaining it is very affordable entertainment IMHO. And how can you not just adore the quality young women representing our university and our community. I was happy to have been able to introduce several new folks to Shocker VB last night and has ALWAYS been my experience they loved it.

It was also good to see a nice student turnout last night. I have criticized the students in the past for their lack of support but I thought last night was pretty good.

The place was rocking pretty good in the 4th and 5th sets.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I'm not totally surprised by the SIU win. Saw them play the Shocks in Carbondale and they have some weapons.
        I'm not surprised either (disappointed, but not surprised). Salukis play well at home in their tiny old gym. And for some reason UNI has struggled against SIU the past couple seasons.

Anyhow, congrats to the Shockers on beating the Bears, I was pulling for y'all.

Barring a big meltdown, it looks like ISU-r (13-0) will likely wrap up the regular season championship.
        UNI (10-3) is in 2nd with a small lead (and tiebreaker advantage), but they still have to face the two teams that beat them in the first half of the conference.

WSU and MSU (both 10-4) are tied neck-and-neck for 3rd. Not only do both teams have the same MVC record, but they beaten and lost to the same teams and have split their head-to-head with each match being a 5-setter. If that trend were to continue and both teams had the same results in the final two weekends, it would go all the way to the 4th tiebreaker to determine who got the #3 seed for the tournament, "Game [sic] winning percentage for all conference matches". Currently, Wichita State has a slight edge in that regard as the Shockers have won 69.4% of their conference sets (34-15) while the Bears have won 64.8% (35-19).

Indiana State (8-5) sits in 5th and has essentially locked up an MVC tourney spot, and could possibly record their first winning season since the MVC/Gateway was formed in 1983. They have clinched their first winning season overall since 1982, but their ending up with a winning conference regular season will be close (as they still have matches @UNI and vs. WSU and MSU).

SIU (7-7) sits in 6th and will likely claim the 6th tournament spot (with a chance of moving up to the #5 seed).

UE (4-10), LU (3-11), and DU (2-11) have little to no chance of making the MVC tournament, and BU (1-13) has been mathematically eliminated.

Comment

Our late push, where we controlled sets four and five (although faltering late a bit as was pointed out), was a result of a couple of lineup changes that first appeared late in set two.

The slump that Jenny is in (2/3/10/-.100 last night) resulted in her being paired with Mikaela, Jenny playing back row and Mikaela playing front row and being the server of the pair. Effectively, Jenny became our third "little" along with Dani and Gabi.

Also, Katie replaced Kristin as a middle in the fourth set. (Before that she had entered in Kristin's spot to serve and left after her service.)

Also, I would not expect to see a 6-2 anytime soon.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; November 8, 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Saturday Scores (no surprises)

Illinois State 3-0 Bradley

Evansville 0-3 Northern Iowa

Indiana State 3-0 Loyola

Southern Illinois 3-0 Drake

Comment

I walked away feeling a little different than @1972Shocker about the play. I thought much of the match was fairly high quality. I thought Missouri State was really good.
              I watched a replay of the match today with the idea of maybe my initial observations were a little off-base, but after watching the match closely I think my original observations were pretty accurate.

In Set 1 MSU had 12 kills and 3 blocks with their remaining 10 points coming on Shocks errors. The Shocks had 10 kills, 1 block and 1 ace with their remaining 11 points on MSU errors. 21 of the total 48 points were errors.

In Set 2 MSU ran out to a 16-13 lead. MSU's 16 points were the result of 7 kills, 2 blocks and 7 Shocker errors. The Shocks had 7 kills, 1 block and benefited from 5 MSU errors. That's 12 of 29 points scored on errors.

So at that point in the match 33 of 77 points (43%) were due to errors. At that point I did not feel like it was particularly high level volleyball although there was a tremendous rally by both teams with the Shocks leading 11-10 in Set 1.

At that point the Shocks came alive. Their final 12 points of Set 2 were the result of 8, kills, 1 ace, 2 blocks and only 1 MSU error. MSU only managed 6 points on 5 kills and 1 Shocker error. Only 2 of the final 17 points coming from errors. The Shockers especially played this stretch at a high level.

As we know that solid play by the Shocks in the 2nd half of the 2nd set did not carryover to Set 3. MSU went up by a score of 18 - 5 although they only had 4 kills to the Shockers 3 kills at that point. They had 2 blocks, 1 ace and were the beneficiary of 11 Shocker errors. The Shocks scored on their 3 kills and 2 MSU errors. That, of course, was the low ebb of the match for the Shocks. A lot of teams, especially young teams, would have cashed in their chips at that point and just played out the string. However, the Shocks to their great credit did not, which in and of itself was a highlight of the match for me.

At that point the Shocks regained their footing and despite losing the Set they closed out with 8 kills, 2 blocks and 4 MSU errors while MSU had 5 kills, 1 block but only 1 Shocker error. Personally, I think this rally although falling short was the key to the win. It did carry over to the rest of the match.

There were 2 very good rallies in Set 3. One at 18-7 won by MSU and one at 19-8 won by the Shockers.

Set 4 was indeed played at a pretty high level. The Shocks first 15 points were the result of 12 kills and 3 MSU errors. The Shocks finished the set with 19 kills and 6 MSU errors. MSU scored 19 on 11 kills, 1 block, 1 ace and 6 Shocker errors.

Set 4 also had a very good rally at 19-12 won by the Shocks.

The Shocks jumped out to a 14-7 lead in Set 5 on the strength of 10 kills, 1 aces and 3 MSU errors while MSU had 5 kills, 1 ace but only 1 Shocker error. The end got a little sloppy as the final 5 points were all errors, 4 by the Shocks and 1 by MSU.

The Shocks played great at times and very poor at times but I thinked they showed they could be tough enough to beat a quality opponent by continuing to saw wood throughout the match.

While the play of both teams was a little uneven it was a very competitive, entertaining match. A true rivalry match.

I commented that Dani Mostrom played very well. After watching the replay I might have to upgrade that assessment a notch.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 9, 2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

2014 Volleyball Intro Video

Just curious, is anyone else noticing really choppy video replay from GoShockers? Even this video doesn't seem right, like it was uploaded, I don't know, wrong. Could just be my equipment but every device I have shows the video choppy.

Comment

Just curious, is anyone else noticing really choppy video replay from GoShockers? Even this video doesn't seem right, like it was uploaded, I don't know, wrong. Could just be my equipment but every device I have shows the video choppy.
                  Yes, I have experienced that. Very, very choppy to the point of being unwatchable at times.

Comment

I think it is that way by design - slowed down, sped up, normal - trying to suggest an edginess. Unless you are speaking of something else not evident to me when I played the video just now.

Comment

Working...
                    X