Alyssa Carney to Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alyssa Carney to Transfer

Rising sophomore Alyssa Carney is transferring to Washburn as reported by Paul Suellentrop in the Eagle.

Alyssa was a big part of the rotation last year and the coaches were really high on her talent and motor and she actually played her way out of a redshirt last season. Pure speculation on my part but I am suspecting that Alyssa might have been a bit homesick (she's from Washburn Rural). Whatever the reason, we certainly wish Alyssa the best in all her endeavors both on and off the court. She was always friendly and polite when I was around and hope she's happy wherever she ends up.

Good luck Alyssa.

While Alyssa did play her way out of a redshirt early in the season she her playing time diminished as the season progressed and quite frankly the competition for playing time for the littles appears pretty intense. Alyssa will no doubt be on he floor a lot for Washburn. I wish her all the best.

As long as Lambo maintains a roster of 18-20 players as he has I would expect several transfers every year once the ladies have figured out where the stand for playing time.

Comment

Volleyball Roster

Even with the transfer of Alyssa Carney, I still count 23 on the roster at the moment. included are 8 incoming frosh although from what I've read, McKenzie Fyfe from Neb may be a walk-on. As far as libero's are concerned, there are 2 frosh coming - Hanna Shelton, who graduated from HS in Dec 2013, & enrolled at WSU for the spring semester plus Gabi Mostrum, Dani's sister. Lambo has described Hanna as perhaps the most polished incoming frosh libero he has ever recruited. Someone can correct me on that, but that's what I remember about her. And, if Gabi Mostrum is anything like her sister, she will be very good, too.

Comment

There are always lots of walk-ons trying to win their place on the roster. I'd love to see one of the littles step up and earn the libero spot all year, but given the physical demands of the position, I think that's unlikely. I can't imagine Gabi not redshirting. In limited viewing by me, I was impressed with Hannah but not to the point that I see her displacing Dani right off the bat. I still expect to see her get some time this fall, especially with the departure of Alyssa.

Comment

With Volleyball being a head-count sport 12 players is the most that can be on Volleyball scholarships at any point in time. Everyone on the roster over and above that are walk-ons. They may or may not have some kind of academic scholarships or grants to help them out. That is difficult to know. Sometimes it is very difficult to even determine who the 12 players on volleyball scholarships are.

I suppose that says something about the popularity of Volleyball these days and the reputation Lambo has as a teacher of the game.

Comment

Working...
          X