2013 NCAA Tournament Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    KU swept by #3 Washington 18, 13 and 24 in the Sweet 16.

Teams reaching the Final 4 are:

#1 Texas who swept #8 Nebraska who will play #12 Wisconsin who reached the Final Four without having to play another seeded opponent.

#3 Washington will take on #2 Penn State in the other semi-final. This one should be quite a battle.
    The Texas-Wisconsin match is Thursday at 630pm on ESPN2 followed by the Penn State-Washington match at 830pm. The championship match is Saturday at 830pm, also on ESPN2.

Comment

Texas 1-3 Wisconsin

The Badgers, the #12 seed, eliminate the #1 seed and defending national champion Longhorns, 25-19, 25-18, 26-28, 25-23.

Wisconsin won the serve-receive battle and played great defense in the back.

Comment

kind of cool knowing that UNI took the national champs or runner-up to five sets (and were two points away from beating them). doesn't REALLY mean anything, but I still like that fact.

Comment

Penn State 3-0 Washington

14, 13 and 16.

The Nittany Lions hit .488 versus .188 for the Huskies, won the serve-receive and outblocked U-Dub, 8-3, to totally dominate this match.

It will be an all-B1G final on Saturday. During the conference, Penn State swept Wisconsin in both matches, 3-0.

Comment

Penn State 3-1 Wisconsin

25-19, 26-24, 20-25, 25-23

Wisconsin made this match much closer than most thought possible, but Penn State had too many weapons. The Badgers could have won the second set, but had a couple of service errors late. And then they led the fourth set 23-20, but Micha Hancock, the tournament's most outstanding player, served out the match with a wicked lefty jump serve.

Comment

Wisconsin had the toughest minded outside I've ever seen in #7. She's 5'7", playing OH against the best teams in the nation. She was incredible....Morales perhaps?

Hancock's serving was the difference in the match. Wisky fought and battled and proved they belonged but you're right @flyingMoose:, those 2 service errors at set point in the 2nd were critical back breakers. At 1-1, I think the Badgers were tough enough to get it done....at 0-2 the hole was just too deep against a team as good as Penn State, and they are great.

Comment

Not going to start a new thread, but I have reasons to believe that Wichita is being strongly considered for a NCAA Regional Site in the not too distant future.

Obviously it would be a huge bonus if WSU could make it, but personally, I think it would be a tremendous event for the city.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Not going to start a new thread, but I have reasons to believe that Wichita is being strongly considered for a NCAA Regional Site in the not too distant future.

Obviously it would be a huge bonus if WSU could make it, but personally, I think it would be a tremendous event for the city.
                  That would be great. I'm thinking perhaps the 2015-16 or 2016-17 seasons might be best. Next year could be (?) somewhat of a rebuilding year for the Shocks as we transition from the Chelsey Feekin era to the Emily Hiebert (?) era plus we bring in a very talented, but inexperienced recruiting class.

We have a lot of holes to fill next year. Losing Valley Co-Players of the Year in Chelsey and Ashley. Losing another experienced and solid middle in Elizabeth and losing a powerful outside in Sam. I'm thinking that with a year or two of training and learning the system under Lambo the Shocker will be looking very, very formidable in a couple of years. Not that I'm willing to just throw away next year. The visibility for next year is just not that good right now.

Comment

Isn't a host site similar to baseball sites for ncaa. Like a top 16 seed or something?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Isn't a host site similar to baseball sites for ncaa. Like a top 16 seed or something?
                      I understood the "Regional Site" to be the second weekend of the tournament when sixteen teams play down to four. That is typically at a "Top 16" or nearby site because the NCAA wants to get seats filled. But with our support of the Shockers and the World Volleyball League (or whatever it is called) in the summers, there might be a chance to host.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        I understood the "Regional Site" to be the second weekend of the tournament when sixteen teams play down to four. That is typically at a "Top 16" or nearby site because the NCAA wants to get seats filled. But with our support of the Shockers and the World Volleyball League (or whatever it is called) in the summers, there might be a chance to host.
                        Regional sites are determined year(s) in advance. They often go to teams fairly likely to make the regional rounds, but it isn't a guarantee.
                        Des Moines will be a regional site in 2015, with UNI "hosting" (and the final four/championship in Omaha that year), and while it is possible that UNI will make it to the regionals, I don't think most would consider it any sort of "lock".

So Wichita hosting a future regional isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                          Regional sites are determined year(s) in advance. They often go to teams fairly likely to make the regional rounds, but it isn't a guarantee.
                          Des Moines will be a regional site in 2015, with UNI "hosting" (and the final four/championship in Omaha that year), and while it is possible that UNI will make it to the regionals, I don't think most would consider it any sort of "lock".

So Wichita hosting a future regional isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
                          Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
                          X