Shocks Host Drake on Friday and UNI on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Drake on Friday and UNI on Saturday

If you want to catch one of the two KEY matches remaining on the Shockers home schedule this Saturday's match against the UNI Lady Panthers (15-6, 7-2) should fill the bill. The Shocks (19-4, 8-1) are tied with Illinois State atop the Valley standings with UNI only 1-game back.

The Shocks get to warm up for this match on Friday against Drake (2-19, 0-9) who is struggling mightily this year.

UNI, on the other hand, will have tough match with Missouri State on Friday.

This weekend's matches will finish off a season long 5-match home stand for the Lady Shocks. Let's finish this off with a flourish.

:poster_shocks:

I know I've said it before, but I frickin hate how the travel partner thing always ends up.
    Bradley was pathetic for years while UNI was paired with them, now Drake is even more pathetic.
    Nothing like teams being able to concentrate all their prep on the Panthers.

But even if the travel partner advantage was taken out of the equation, WSU has the upper hand this season. I just hope UNI can make a better showing than they did last month against y'all. Those last three sets were downright painful to watch.

Comment

OTOH, UNI gets to prepare itself for the Shockers by playing a pretty decent MSU team and after playing and defeating ILS this past weekend. ILS pretty much took the Shocks to the woodshed in Normal. Also, I am a little concerned about the Shocks getting ready for the Panthers with matches against Bradley, Loyola and Drake. That can perhaps cause a team to have a false sense of exactly how hard they will needs to play to defeat UNI.

If the Lady Shocks that played Louisville shows up we will be in good shape. If the Lady Shocks that played ILS shows up, we are probably in trouble.

I am expecting a very competitive match.

Shocker Match Notes.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 24, 2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Promotions for Saturday Match vs UNI

Jam the Gym - All match tickets are Buy 1-Get 1 Free

Volleyball Giveaway - First 1,000 fans receive free volleyballs

Halloween Celebration - Free admission for all fans 12 and under in costume
        Halloween Costume Contest At Halftime

Comment

Hopefully, the Lady Shocks will be significantly focused to take care of Drake tonight without having to expend too much energy.

Saturday night's battle with UNI is a big one and should be an entertaining match. Is this a must win for the Shocks? I think it is if they want to keep themselves alive for a potential at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. I suppose you could say that about all of our remaining matches. However, this one is amplified due to the fact we are playing MVC Volleyball royalty. UNI is not as good this year as they have often been in the past, but they are still a high quality team and one that is certainly capable of beating the Shocks and they are a program that is used to winning.

I think our back row play continues to get better as the season progresses so, hopefully, the Shocks are rounding into form for a successful late season run.

Hope to see a big crowd for the UNI game to help push the Shocks over the top.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

UNI takes the first set in Springfield, 25-21. Bears tie it up with a 25-20 second set win.

Indiana State pulls off the upset with a 3-1 win over Illinois State in Terre Haute. Barring an unthinkable Drake comeback, WSU will have first place in conference to themselves for at least a day.

Comment

Yikes, not sure how blue got red but I'll take it .

Comment

UNI won.

Comment

Shockers 3-0 Drake

23, 17 and 13.

Not very pretty. We stayed unfocused for nearly the entire match, but Drake came along and helped us out late.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    Shockers 3-0 Drake

23, 17 and 13.

Not very pretty. We stayed unfocused for nearly the entire match, but Drake came along and helped us out late.
                    Yeah, Lambo not real pleased. Kind of had to bite his tongue in the post-game. This team just makes it difficult to totally buy into whether or not they get it. Hopefully, tomorrow night they will prove they do get it. A repeat of tonight's effort and will be back into a tie for 1st place.

Comment

The Bears played some great backrow defense in the (second and) third sets and got their offense clicking, and they built up a 19-10 lead over UNI in the third (with the match tied at 1-1), however the Panthers were able to come back and win the set 27-25, then were able to ride that momentum to take the match with a 25-16 fourth set victory.

Should set up a fun match tommorrow night.

Comment

It will be a complete reversal of the first meeting, or worse, if WSU plays anywhere like they did tonight.

And I'm not convinced all of the problems can be fixed with effort and or concentration.

Comment

Illinois State doing what they do best in athletics... submitting to Wichita State.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I agree that WSU didn't look good against Drake. I hope lots of people come to the match and cheer on the Shocks; they probably need our loud and vocal support.
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

As predicted UNI sweeps the Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X