Shocks Host Bradley and Loyola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Bradley and Loyola

The Shocks follow up their intense win over a good Louisville team (their final non-con match of the regular season) with home matches against Bradley (10-6, 4-3) on Friday at 6:00pm followed by Shocker Madness and Loyola (8-11, 3-4).

Bradley has quietly snuck into 5th place in the Valley standings. They were swept at home by both Illinois State and Northern Iowa. Their best win was over SIU in Carbondale. After the Louisville match

Lambo said he and his staff new less about this Bradley team than any other team in the Valley including Loyola because they had seen Loyola in several tapes while they were playing previously scouted opponents. If Bradley is capable of beating a decent SIU team in Carbondale then they are capable of being a pain in the neck for the Shocks. Hopefully, what we get from the Shocks is a carryover of the tenacity they showed against Louisville as opposed to a letdown your guard performance.

Saturday will be the 1st meeting ever with Loyola on the Volleyball court.

Shocker Match Notes.

Illinois State, who leads the Shocks by 1-game and UNI by 2-games, is playing UNI in Cedar Falls tonight. I hope UNI wins that match and give the Shocks the opportunity to get back into a 1st place tie at the half-way mark.

:poster_shocks:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2013, 11:48 AM.

UNI is up 2-1 on Illinois St.

Comment

Originally posted by bunck View Post
      UNI is up 2-1 on Illinois St.
      UNI wins the 4th set 25-23 to hand ILS its 1st conference loss and drop the Redbirds into a 1st place tie with the Shocks.

Comment

UNI wins in 4 tough sets. Shocks tied for 1st.

I'm way too slow. SIU is coming on strong right now.

Comment

After a somewhat uninspired start the Shocks broke away from a 12-12 tie to win Set 1 over Bradley 25-19 then pretty much dominated the Braves in Sets 2 and 3 winning 25-15 and 25-11. Bradley actually battle pretty hard, but so did the Lady Shocks and the bottom line is the Lady Shocks simply have more firepower.

Highlight of the match for me was when Mash entered the match late in the 3rd set and finished off the Shocks scoring with 2 very solid smashes. Apparently something she has been doing in practice and, for the 1st time, she showed those capabilities in a match.

Comment

Missouri State 3-0 Loyola

18, 22 and 23

Comment

The Lady Shocks kind of slept walk through most of the 1st set leading only 18-17 late in the Set. At that point they put the hammer down outscoring Loyola 7-1 to close out the set then continued to dominate the Ramblers completing the sweep with 25-12 and 25-9 beat downs in Sets 2 and 3.
              her
              Smashley Andrade continues to play outstanding attacking offense leading the Shockers with 14 kills on only 17 attacks and with only 1 error for a 0.765 while also contributing 5 block assists. You could tell when Ashley was on the attack by the vapor trail following the ball over the net.

I thought Lambo was a little slow getting the reserves in the Set 3 but kudos to Kristin Byers for her 2 blocks (technically block assists) to put Set 3 away and complete the sweep.

Enjoyed the alumni match (1 set to 25) following the Shockers sweep. The level of play in the set was actually quite good. Nice to see and recognize so many Shocker Alumna, Shocker fan favorites and Shocker volleyball royalty back on the court.

Comment

What Alumni were back?

Comment

An impressive group, on so many levels. McGee, Hooper, Backes, Church, Lungren, Karen Parra (Augspurger), Elizabeth Meyers and Adney come to mind from a report I received.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    An impressive group, on so many levels. McGee, Hooper, Backes, Church, Lungren, Karen Parra (Augspurger), Elizabeth Meyers and Adney come to mind from a report I received.
                    Jen Ray, Lindsey Eckenrode, Kayla Stout, Cori Meyer, Angela Jakubov and I believe Kim Wadsworth were also back plus a couple of others.

Mike Kennedy did the play-by-play over the Arena loudspeaker system.

The only negative thing was how few fans stayed around to watch the alums play their 1 set. It wasn't like the Loyola match took forever -- about 75 minutes. Although I don't think they did a very good job making the fans aware there was going to be an alumni scrimmage after the match.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 21, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      The only negative thing was how few fans stayed around to watch the alums play their 1 set. It wasn't like the Loyola match took forever -- about 75 minutes. Although I don't think they did a very good job making the fans aware there was going to be an alumni scrimmage after the match.
                      It was announced two or three times. You can't exactly belabor the point. It could have been announced ten times, and the same amount of people would have stayed. Fans were going to stay or not stay, and no amount of PA announcements would have changed that.
                      78-65

Comment

Yeah, even with the new sound system, announcements over the PA system are not real clear. Not sure I heard any of the announcements clearly, but it could be I just wasn't focused. But I think you are right. Only a relatively small slice of the fans will stay for such event regardless of what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Yeah, even with the new sound system, announcements over the PA system are not real clear. Not sure I heard any of the announcements clearly, but it could be I just wasn't focused. But I think you are right. Only a relatively small slice of the fans will stay for such event regardless of what you do.
                          I first heard of the scrimmage as I drove out of the parking lot. We would have stayed had we understood a scrimmage was to take place. Normally, I am hustling out to the car to hear Lambo's post-game, so the announcement could have gone right by me. I did hear the announcements for the players to gather in the practice gym, but no others. Announcing the scrimmage before the names of the players were given would have been a good time. After the names, any announcement is going to be lost in the applause. So, yeah, I think they did a crummy job of letting us know about the scrimmage.

Comment

Working...
                          X