Shocks vs Louisville, Tuesday 10/15 @ 7:00 pm FREE POPCORN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Louisville, Tuesday 10/15 @ 7:00 pm FREE POPCORN

The Shocks and Louisville Cardinals face off tomorrow night in what might prove to be a bracket-buster game when it comes to NCAA selection time.

Louisville is 10-6 on the season but they are 6-0 in the new American Athletic Conference. Losses have been to No. 2 Penn State, No. 4 Minnesota, No. 19 Kentucky, Wisconsin, Pepperdine and Northern Iowa. No slouches among that group.

The Shocks are currently 49th in the RPI and Louisville is 53rd, so there really is not any room for error for either team as far as NCAA at-large opportunities are concerned.

I am hopeful that the Shocks will use this match as a springboard to start a strong run to finish of the remainder of the Valley schedule and, hopefully, position themselves for an at-large possibility. Unfortunately, they really have no real RPI boosting matches remaining so they just need to win, win, win.

This is Dig Pink Night and pink match-worn jerseys will be auctioned off during the match. Girl Scouts get in free.

Everybody in attendance receives complimentary popcorn.

Maybe we can get a small amount of payback for last April.

WSU match notes.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Shocks win in 5. Great win ladies! Nice to enact some revenge for the Final Four loss!

Let's hope this will propel WSU to a huge winning streak to keep our NCAA streak alive.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That was pretty much a must have win. Proud of the girls adjusting and overcoming the loss of Gabby Urban. Alyssa Carney is going to HAVE to serve with fewer errors. We can't afford to keep giving away points, especially losing Gabby's tough serving.

You lose that match and it's pretty much post season champs or bust. It may still be, but at least we're in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          ... overcoming the loss of Gabby Urban.
          What is the story? Was it mentioned in the pre-game show?

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Alyssa Carney is going to HAVE to serve with fewer errors. We can't afford to keep giving away points ...
          But she did make some serious digs as the match went on.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            What is the story?
            Gabby has a broken hand.

Comment

Did all the jerseys sell?

Comment

The Lady Shocks brought their hard hats and lunch buckets tonight and pretty much just out-toughed a very athletic Louisville team.

While both teams made their share of errors there were also a ton of long, hard-fought rallies and, if you prefer power volleyball there was a fare share of that as well.

The thing with the Shocks is that they are still a work in progress and hopefully will continue to work and get better as we head down the final one-third of the season.

I was most impressed with the fight the ladies showed tonight. Hope they keep that intensity and tenacity going.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 15, 2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  I think most of them had bids from what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I think most of them had bids from what I saw.
                    Meant to try to proxy one for my niece. But, shamefully, work got in the way.

Glad it was a good turnout, good match, and good win.

Comment

Meant to try to proxy one for my niece. But, shamefully, work got in the way.

Glad it was a good turnout, good match, and good win.
                      It was a very entertaining match and it was a good win. Not sure I would call it a good turnout. Considering the quality of the opponent and that there wasn't any football to compete with I thought the turnout, reported at 1,882, wasn't anything to write home about. However, the game was televised on Cox Kansas 22 so that might have kept the attendance down a little.

BTW, I think this match is being replayed on Kansas 22 tonight at 7:00pm if you happened to miss it.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 16, 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

have to admit that with the Shocks trailing 17-20 in the 2nd set I was thinking to myself that a Louisville sweep was on the way and we would get home fairly early.

Thank goodness the Lady Shocks had other ideas about that.

Comment

Watched a replay of the match tonight.

Really nice to see Ashlyn play well again.

I was impressed with Louisville's big, powerful MB wearing #33. Turns out she has had some decent genes to build on. Her name was Randi Ewing and her Dad is Patrick Ewing. Definitely inherited some of Dad's size, strength and athleticism.

Katie Reilly did a very fine impression of a 6-rotation player throughout the match.

Comment

I think they could have made a few dollars more if they would have had people directing you to the area to bid. Walked in saw the "free" popcorn served in 10 oz cups (REALLY?) and bought a hot dog and soda and watched the first two matches. Wondered where the bidding was going to take place and walked north and around the concourse got to the table just in time to see them tell everyone to step back and gather up the bid sheets. I was going to bid on a jersey for the oldest grand daughter. Guess there is always next year or later this year if they auction off any more.

Comment

Working...
                            X