Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers @ Illinois State (Friday) & Indiana State (Saturday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers @ Illinois State (Friday) & Indiana State (Saturday)

The Shocks and the Redbirds, both 5-0 in Valley play, square off Friday in Normal with sole possession of 1st place on the line one-third through the Valley season. Match time is 7:00 pm.

Illinois State is usually pretty competitive and this year they are also very experienced. They have 4 Seniors and 7 Juniors among the 14 players on their roster. As Lambo says frequently and loudly he likes old (experienced) volleyball players.

The Shocks then travel to Terre Haute to take on Indiana State (7-9, 1-4) in a match that starts at 6:00 pm CDT.

The Shocks do have the advantage that they usually share with MSU in that they can generally focus on one team, in this case Illinois State, while not having to spend too much time on Indiana State.

With the Shocks and Bears being the toughest travel pairing in the league Illinois State probably does not have that luxury.

I'm not sure this is a must win for the Lady Shocks, but with an RPI of 45 compared to an RPI of 64 for the Redbirds there is not much room for error if the Shocks are going to position themselves for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Hopefully, the Shocks will take advantage of having a "normal" week of preparation for the 1st time in about 6 weeks to be sharp and focused for the Redbirds come Friday.

Shocker Match Notes

:poster_shocks:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 10, 2013, 01:24 PM.

Another timeout by Chris as it's 15-7. Something I heard today that I'm not going to share (it's nothing awful I assure you, just one of those things) led me to believe we were sitting on a stinker tonight.

I hope they can turn it around, it's still really early. But the first set looks like toast.

Illinois State has 4 blocks already in the set.

Comment

25-14 ISU. Ugly.

7-2 Shocks early in the 2nd.

Comment

Had a 23-6 lead in game 2. Now it's 23-11. 23-12. 23-13. Mash in. Lambo is reaching.

24-13. That should do it.

It did. 25-13.

Best of 3.

Comment

Welp, all ISU again in the 3rd. The girls just look horrible tonight, but a tip of the cap to ISU and their block party.

Comment

Shocks can't do anything right tonight and just look terrible and ISU looks as good as we look bad.

Can believe we're going to blow it against ISU, but seeing is believing. Shocks in deep in game 4.

Comment

Looking forward to Lambo's post-game comments. Assuming he gives a post-game interview. I have only been able to follow the match intermittently tonight but there have been very few Shocker highlights from what I could tell.

Comment

Lambo said Illinois State totally dominated in the serve and passing game. Lambo said he did not push the girls very hard in practice this week feeling they needed the rest more than the hard practice. Not sure if that had anything to do with tonight's performance but he did not think his team competed real hard tonight.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 11, 2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Can we just study, Jay Bilas. "toughness"
                  GO SHOX!

Comment

Game article from the Bloomington Pantagraph.

Comment

Shocks grab set 1 in Terre Haute with a 25-22 win. The final score was probably closer than it should have been but the Shocks apparently were in a generous mood.

Need to clean some thing up.

Comment

I wasn't able to listen to the 2nd set but the Shocks won it 25-16 to take a 2-0 lead. Shocks are trailing 6-9 in Set 3

Comment

Shocks rallied from a 8-14 deficit to score a 25-22 win in Set 3 and secure a 3-0 sweep over the Sycamores.

Comment

Ashley lead the way tonight with 15 kills and only 1 error on 27 attacks (0.519) and chipped in 2 block solos and 2 block assists.

Katie Reilly had a pretty solid night with 9-2-22 attack line to his 0.318.

Chelsey had 6 kills on 8 attacks.

Elizabeth, Ashlyn and Sam continue to struggle to score consistently combining for 15 kills with 14 errors on 58 attack for an anemic .017 hitting percentage.

We really need to get those 3 going again, especially with Louisville coming to town on Tuesday.

Comment

Illinois State defeated MSU 3-1 tonight in Normal. MSU lost Set 2 after leading 20-16 and Set 4 after leading 22-19.

The Redbirds apparently have that characteristic mentioned by @1stThings1st: -- toughness.

Comment

Working...
                              X