Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers v Southern Illinois (Friday) and Evansville (Saturday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers v Southern Illinois (Friday) and Evansville (Saturday)

This week's game-day article talks about six-rotation players (is there an echo in here?) and Mash.

I will leave it to @1972Shocker: to provide us with previews of our opponents.

These are two matches that the Shocker should win in straight sets, although the Shocks do need to show focused and ready to play. Otherwise, anyone can sneak up and steal a match from them.

SIU (7-9. 2-2) seemed to make a big jump last year, but they graduated two 1st team All-Valley players in MB Alysia Mayes and in OH Laura Thole. 6-0 Sr. OH Jessica Whitehead is a very good player but SIU apparently doesn't have too much behind her. 9 of the 15 roster spots are Freshmen.

SIU has held it's opponent to a 0.188 hitting percentage so they may ugly things up and try to get the Shocks out of system as much as possible.

Evansville (6-9, 1-3) is usually a scrappy, undersized team. They have given the Shocks fits in the past, but more so in Evansville than in Wichita.

Wichita State Match Notes

SIU Match Notes

Evansville Match Notes
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 4, 2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Just to show how much HCCL has upped the play at WSU.

EU Record before HCCL 8 wins 5 losses After HCCL at WSU 22 wins 4 losses Total 30-9

SIU Record before HCCL 11 wins 15 losses After HCCL at WSU 24 wins 3 losses Total 35-18

Some kind of performance huh?
      Last edited by pogo; October 4, 2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

it took me ages to figure out what you meant by "HCCL". anyhow, is it just me, or are livestats not working for your match tonight?

Comment

Not sure what was going on early but the stats got fixed about the end of game 1. A little sloppy but a sweep nonetheless. SIU's freshman setter is a solid player to build a team around imho, but they are going to miss their 2 senior bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            ... but a sweep nonetheless.
            23, 19 and 21.

Comment

Match had a strange feel to it. Sort of like the Shockers knew they would win but were satisfied with doing just enough to win. However, some credit goes to SIU. They battle and they scrap. If they had more firepower the Shockers may have been in trouble tonight. Seems like every time the Shocks just had to have a point they went to the B-52 (Ashley, the Big Bomber). I also thought Dani played a pretty solid match at the Librero position tonight.

Comment

If Ashlyn and Katie can't get it going at a more productive and efficient level tonight vs Evansville I wouldn't be surprised to see Mash and Jacklyn get a shot at seeing what they can do.

Comment

Shocks sweep an over-matched Evansville Aces team 16, 11 an 18. Shocks not at their sharpest at times but had plenty in the tank to easily take care of the Aces. Good defensive effort tonight hold the Aces to a negative .080 hitting percentage.

Katie looked better tonight but Ashlyn is still fighting it a little on the left. Even Ashley missed a few balls she normally puts away.

Hopefully, Illinois State who is tied with Shocks at the top of the MVC standings will have the Shocks full attention next Friday in Normal. Another opportunity for the Lady Shocks to strengthen their NCAA resume.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    If Ashlyn and Katie can't get it going at a more productive and efficient level tonight vs Evansville I wouldn't be surprised to see Mash and Jacklyn get a shot at seeing what they can do.
                    Jaclyn (1-0-4, .250) subbed for Katie towards the end of the second set, and Mash (0-1-5, -.200) subbed for Katie towards the end of the third set, even playing back row for (I think) three rotations.

Comment

Quite a 5-set battle going on between SIU and MSU in Springfield. MSU leading 13-12 in the 5th set.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        Jaclyn (1-0-4, .250) subbed for Katie towards the end of the second set, and Mash (0-1-5, -.200) subbed for Katie towards the end of the third set, even playing back row for (I think) three rotations.
                        Jaclyn looks like she might be ready to contribute. Mash not so much. That said I expect Ashlyn to get it going sooner or later. Just too much talent not to. She just needs to relax and let that talent take over.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 5, 2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

SIU fought off a match point at 13-14 then when on to pull out the match with a 17-15 win in the 5th.

Scores were 21-25, 25-23, 25-22, 24-26 and 17-15.

SIU showed they can be more than competitive with the league favorites and will be plenty tough in Carbondale next go round.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 5, 2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Is AD just inconsistent because the matches I have seen she has been great. I think she has nothing but greatness ahead of her.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Is AD just inconsistent because the matches I have seen she has been great. I think she has nothing but greatness ahead of her.
                              Yes. When she is on she is dominant, but she also goes through huge runs of errors.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                              X