Shocks vs. Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs. Italy

They have an OH who is 6'7-1/2" (Hat tip to Mike Kennedy for the pic)

She was a load. Her serve was even "spike-like". They played 5 sets (to 21 the 1st 4 and 15 the last) with the Shocks winning 1 and 5 and Italy dominating the middle 3. The Shocks played the starters in set 1, then slowly played more bench players as the match extended. Chelsey was the setter for all 5, otherwise there was a lot of the bench after the 1st.

Italy wasn't great, imho, but when they set either of the 2 bigs up front it was good night.

Comment

@WuDrWu:, I was unfortunately not able to make last night's match but I can tell you it takes something important for that to happen. In any case, I was really wanting to see some of our lesser used players especially Jaclyn, Mash, Hannah, Kristin and Katy D. Too bad this year's redshirting freshman could not play. Would have been interesting to see what Emily Heibert looks like as a setter at this point.

In any case, did anyone of these players show you anything to be excited or at least positive about.

Comment

At the U23 Championships, FIVB is using 21-point sets as one of two test rules in an attempt to "modernise" the game for fans (no wait, patrons :) ), both at the site and on television. With the 21-point sets, there is now only the technical timeout at 12 points, rather than TTOs at 8 and 16 with the 25-point sets.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          @WuDrWu, I was unfortunately not able to make last night's match but I can tell you it takes something important for that to happen. In any case, I was really wanting to see some of our lesser used players especially Jaclyn, Mash, Hannah, Kristin and Katy D. Too bad this year's redshirting freshman could not play. Would have been interesting to see what Emily Heibert looks like as a setter at this point.

In any case, did anyone of these players show you anything to be excited or at least positive about.
          I am not the Good Doctor, of course, but ...

Jaclyn played both pins. She started off really well, but also hit a couple of stinkers, one of which did not even make it to the net. Lambo was excited about her in the post-game, liked her "wristy" swing (similar to Lindsey Eckenrode), thought she needed to make the game slow down so she could see her opportunities better.

Although Mash hit negative, he liked the swings she was taking as the match went on. Lambo continues to talk like Jaclyn and Mash are on the doorstep of getting a lot more playing time.

Hannah and Kristin showed some flashes of getting there. They were probably penalized by not having a lot of reps with Chelsey, and thus not having their timing down as well as Ashley and Elizabeth.

Katy had a rough night (1-4-7, -.429) and seems to need some more time.

Comment

I pretty much agree with the assessment @flyingMoose: recounted above. I thought we were reminded of how difficult actual play can be, both physically and emotionally, represented by Jaclyn's obvious fatigue at times.

I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable Hannah seemed to be digging in the back row on occasion (when serving). Kristin was also better than I expected, skill wise, but seemed to hit into obvious blocks without regard for options on several occasions (so too did Mash, Ashlynn and Roddy at times).

I also thought Katy was a little better than her numbers show.

Candidly I would have to admit there are no Andrades, Fields or Feekins readily available for next season. There probably is a Sam Sanders.

Comment

Sam Sander ain't chopped liver. But I know what you mean.

Comment

Interesting match vs. the Italians last night. I wondered how/if many of the players that normally do not get to play would. I wish we could have seen the new setter and other red shirts play last night but at least we got to see how the other girls can do in game experience. It seems Reilly is a coach favorite as she stayed in the game after all the starters were out. Not sure why they did that but we could have seen another player. Looks likes talented team but wish we could have inter-scrimmages for the fans to watch more of the playersthat normally don't hit the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUShock View Post
                  It seems Reilly is a coach favorite as she stayed in the game after all the starters were out. Not sure why they did that but we could have seen another player.
                  My guess as to why he did that is because Katie has really struggled with he service reception, digging and passing this year and of our "front line" players she need as many reps as she can get in order to improve those facets of her game. Could have been other reasons, only Lambo knows for sure, but I doubt that being one of his favorites had anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    My guess as to why he did that is because Katie has really struggled with he service reception, digging and passing this year and of our "front line" players she need as many reps as she can get in order to improve those facets of her game. Could have been other reasons, only Lambo knows for sure, but I doubt that being one of his favorites had anything to do with it.
                    Is Katie our six-position player? Or at least more time in the back row over any of our other hitters? Because of the number of substitutions, I think you need someone who can do that.

I know Sam is back there some, but perhaps only when she is serving? I actually should have paid enough attention to know the answer to this. *Sigh.*

Comment

I am not sure we can claim to have a 6-rotation player this year and I think we may be feeling the departure of Emily Adney more than we thought we would.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        Is Katie our six-position player? Or at least more time in the back row over any of our other hitters? Because of the number of substitutions, I think you need someone who can do that.

I know Sam is back there some, but perhaps only when she is serving? I actually should have paid enough attention to know the answer to this. *Sigh.*
                        Katie has been six-position a fair amount, but not always. I've been a little surprised that Driskill hasn't gotten many shots at it, but there could be a lot of practice numbers going into that decision that we can't see. As @1972Shocker: says, I think we are still trying to find an outside hitter who gives us consistency on the back row with Adney gone.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I was surprised Driskill hasn't been, but I'm confident she will be. There was an article over the summer I believe that talked about how much she desires to be a six rotation player and how hard she's been working to become that. She strikes me as the type of competitor that will achieve it before long. Perhaps even this season, but definitely next.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            I was surprised Driskill hasn't been, but I'm confident she will be. There was an article over the summer I believe that talked about how much she desires to be a six rotation player and how hard she's been working to become that. She strikes me as the type of competitor that will achieve it before long. Perhaps even this season, but definitely next.
                            I would agree with this assessment. She seems to be the kind of player that will not be denied to what ever she sets her mind to.

Comment

And not to mention how we'd benefit from having the potential back row attack from someone with her cannon mounted to the right side of her body. She's going to get better and improve in every aspect I believe. She's going to be a fun one to watch.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X