WSU assistant volleyball coach arrested for DUI, suspended with pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU assistant volleyball coach arrested for DUI, suspended with pay

Not a distraction we really needed. My guess is Jeff could survive this, as long as it is his 1st offense, but he will no doubt have some repair work to do and he will be on a very short leash thereafter.

Comment

I never understand these suspensions with pay? What's the point of that? They get a nice little paid vacation with a slap on the wrist?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        I never understand these suspensions with pay? What's the point of that? They get a nice little paid vacation with a slap on the wrist?
        I agree but I imagine there is probably some legal liability issues behind that. After all he is only charged with wrongdoing at this point and not convicted.

As far as a nice little paid vacation, that is true on the face of it, but the longer he is gone the more likely it will be that Lambo will decide to replace Jeff on his staff. I'm sure Lambo wants to be as fair as possible to Jeff considering his 10 years of what I assume to be dedicated and honorable service to Lambo's program. One thing we know about Lambo is he is a detail oriented, get all the facts Jack kind of guy and I'm sure that will apply in how he handles this situation as it does in everything else he does.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I agree but I imagine there is probably some legal liability issues behind that. After all he is only charged with wrongdoing at this point and not convicted.

As far as a nice little paid vacation, that is true on the face of it, but the longer he is gone the more likely it will be that Lambo will decide to replace Jeff on his staff. I'm sure Lambo wants to be as fair as possible to Jeff considering his 10 years of what I assume to be dedicated and honorable service to Lambo's program. One thing we know about Lambo is he is a detail oriented, get all the facts Jack kind of guy and I'm sure that will apply in how he handles this situation as it does in everything else he does.
          Yes, I'm not a lawyer but this has to do with due process issues. This is the usual process for any organization with employee contractual obligations (a public university would fit in this category). An investigation usually has to take place by a hearing officer or someone in charge (ADES in this case I would imagine) after the issue comes to light. If Jeff Sanders is a good coach, I doubt that he considers this a little vacation.

Comment

Damnit.

Comment

For most companies, you probably wouldn't get a suspension (or missed days) with pay unless you were higher up the food chain of the company. If you were a president or vice president of a company, you'd probably still get paid, but a regular employee would lose out on any money for days they missed work.

Comment

DUIs are bad. especially with that suspicion of a hit-and-run mixed in.
                in my book, DUIs are way worse than, say, someone getting busted for pot.

Comment

Did he use a university vehicle like some in the media are speculating?

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
                    Did he use a university vehicle like some in the media are speculating?
                    I don't know whether he did or not, but I don't think that should make a whole lot of difference one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                      DUIs are bad. especially with that suspicion of a hit-and-run mixed in.
                      in my book, DUIs are way worse than, say, someone getting busted for pot.
                      Agreed. If this is Jeff's 1st offense he probably will qualify for the diversion process although the hit-and-run issue, if true, could be complicating factor. Not sure whether Lambo and the University will be willing to give him a second chance or not. I guess we will see. Oh the consequences of our choices. I guess Jeff's lucky he at least did not injure anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I don't know whether he did or not, but I don't think that should make a whole lot of difference one way or the other.
                        Legally, it makes a difference for WSU. Not so much for Jeff.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          Legally, it makes a difference for WSU. Not so much for Jeff.
                          Technically that my be true but there is no evidence of any major personal injury or property damage exposure and. in any case, WSU is no doubt well insured against such things. So it may make a difference, but that doesn't seem to be a significant issue in this case. The question is does Jeff Sanders get a second chance, assuming this is a 1st offense, and maybe more importantly does Jeff have a drinking problem that he needs to be addressed and resolved for his long-term benefit.

If Jeff is to continue as a Shocker he is going to have to convince Lambo that he is sufficiently remorseful and can convince Lambo, with a high degree of confidence, that this will not happen again and that he does not have unaddressed drinking problem. That may be difficult to do. If not, then Shocker VB moves on without Jeff.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 5, 2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            For most companies, you probably wouldn't get a suspension (or missed days) with pay unless you were higher up the food chain of the company. If you were a president or vice president of a company, you'd probably still get paid, but a regular employee would lose out on any money for days they missed work.
                            So a company would fire the employee or suspend them without pay (saying that they are in effect guilty) prior to getting all of the facts? They had to make an immediate decision prior to leaving for the tournament in Utah. That wouldn't be enough time to determine guilt. And I'm sure that if a WSU car was used, WSU lawyers are looking ahead to a possible suit of any kind and protecting the university. they may have insurance, but they will leave him hanging in a very short minute showing that he didn't follow his contract in some way.

Comment

This sucks all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X