2013 Preseason Valley Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Preseason Valley Predictions

Well sue me. It's the next sport up this year.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Creighton would have been a solid #1 I suspect, maybe WSU, it would have been close.

I think the Shocks will be picked to win. UNI lost a ton and reports are that Molly Turk has left the team as well for personal reasons.

What does everyone think about this fall?

I agree that we should be the favorites, with UNI picked second. Just like last year, Illinois State, MSU, and SIU is a bit of a pick-em for 3-5. Unless Loyola surprises in a big way (and I don't think they will since the graduated the girl who was the vast majority of their offense - over 400 kills last year), there will be no one relevant after those top 5.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
      I agree that we should be the favorites, with UNI picked second. Just like last year, Illinois State, MSU, and SIU is a bit of a pick-em for 3-5. Unless Loyola surprises in a big way (and I don't think they will since the graduated the girl who was the vast majority of their offense - over 400 kills last year), there will be no one relevant after those top 5.
      I think the Shocks will be the favorite coming off their Sweet 16 run and a spring win over Nebraska. However, I don't think they will be an overwhelming favorite. The top half of the Valley should again be pretty solid, although swapping Creighton for Loyola definitely looks to be a net loss for the Valley in VB. I think the Shocks can get the job done if our littles play well (like they did against Nebraska). I don't know how critical it is that Katy Dudzinski is fully recovered and ready to go, but I know they were very high on her coming in last year.

UNI is losing both their starting and reserve setters from last year. However, they have Kinsey Caldwell, who was the Mountain West Freshman of the Year, transferring in from UNLV to fill the role of setter. I don't see them losing much there. They did lose 5 seniors from last year including Krista DeGeest, Amy Braun, Megan Lehman and Libero Candace Burke. However, 6-2 OH Macy Ubben and 6-3 MB Shelby Kintzel provide a solid base from which to reload. If UNI plays their trademark tough defense they will be plenty tough. However, overall they will be more inexperienced than normal for them.

MSU only lost 1 senior from last year, 5-6 DS Shelby Stang. The get 5-9 OH Karen Rivatto back from injury for her final season. MSU will be a very experienced team with 7 seniors and 4 juniors.

Illinois State only lost 5-8 L Jenny Menendez to graduation and will be very experienced with 5 seniors and 7 juniors on their roster. I could see the Redbirds making a challenge for the top 3 this year.

SIU's new coach, Justin Ingram, showed could coach a team up last year with a very competitive team. SIU will lose it top 2 attackers, Alysia Mayes and Laura Thole, and the lose their libero, Bailey Yeager. We will see how Coach Ingram recruits but no reason he can't mine the fertile St. Louis area. SIU always seems to have decent talent.

Loyola finished 8-6 in the Horizon last year which is not as strong as the Valley, at least at the top of the league. As @The Mad Hatter stated they lost their big 6-3 offensive weapon from last year. I would not expect the Ramblers to be in the top half of the Valley next year.

I don't really see Evansville, Drake, Bradley or Indiana State making a move out of the bottom half of the league.

So it looks to be pretty much business as usual in the Valley sans Creighton.

Comment

BTW, Missouri State added 6-3 Sr. OH Kayla Walton to their 2013 roster. Walton, who graduated from South Florida this past spring, led her team with 184 kills in Big East play and will play her final season at Missouri State. Looks like a very good addition to the Lady Bear roster.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 19, 2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Sure would be nice to find a better volleyball conf to join...one that helps basketball too.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
            Sure would be nice to find a better volleyball conf to join...one that helps basketball too.
            We could be doing far worse for a conference as far as volleyball is concerned. I'm not sure where we would realistically go where volleyball is stronger or better supported than it is in the Valley. The Valley has gotten multiple bids on a regular basis and has had multiple teams win once they got to the NCAAs in recent memory. Across the board, attendance is good in the Valley, which is good for recruiting. Many of the kind of basketball conferences we could go towards, such as either of the former Big East conferences or the A10, would be a downgrade for volleyball. The Mountain West would probably be the best option, being a fairly similar volleyball conference to the Valley and better in basketball.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

One thing we do know for sure is that IF we do change conferences volleyball will have very little if any impact on such a decision. Basektball is driving that bus solo.

Comment

Shocks will be picked fifth.
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Missouri State's schedule is out.

K-State willing to go to Springfiled for a match.

Drake is now paired with UNI as a travel partner and Bradley will be paired with Loyola. (In previous years Drake was paired with Creighton and Bradley with UNI).

We open Valley play by hosting Missouri State on September 19th and we close the regular season at Missouri State on November 22nd.

The Bears have Tulsa, Dayton, Colorado State, Oklahoma, and K-State to highlight their non-confenerence play. Northern Illinois is also a decent program on their non-conference schedule losing to both the Bears and the Shockers last year in 5-set matches. So MSU doing a good job of scheduling up in the non-con.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    We could be doing far worse for a conference as far as volleyball is concerned. I'm not sure where we would realistically go where volleyball is stronger or better supported than it is in the Valley. The Valley has gotten multiple bids on a regular basis and has had multiple teams win once they got to the NCAAs in recent memory. Across the board, attendance is good in the Valley, which is good for recruiting. Many of the kind of basketball conferences we could go towards, such as either of the former Big East conferences or the A10, would be a downgrade for volleyball. The Mountain West would probably be the best option, being a fairly similar volleyball conference to the Valley and better in basketball.
                    Just a little sarcasm, agree with your post. I am curious what MS is doing to lure some of the big girls in.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                      Just a little sarcasm, agree with your post. I am curious what MS is doing to lure some of the big girls in.
                      MS gets the big girls in by losing to them. Playing the SHOX is very risky. There is a reason OU has stopped playing the SHOX. There is a reason the kittens and hawks don't play the SHOX. This is not rocket science. Scheduling for Lambo, Marshall, and most of the other coaches at WSU must be next to impossible. They all do a great job of getting high quality teams in here.
                      GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stThings1st View Post
                        MS gets the big girls in by losing to them. Playing the SHOX is very risky. There is a reason OU has stopped playing the SHOX. There is a reason the kittens and hawks don't play the SHOX. This is not rocket science. Scheduling for Lambo, Marshall, and most of the other coaches at WSU must be next to impossible. They all do a great job of getting high quality teams in here.
                        OU has officially stopped playing us? If so that is too bad, because I always admired their coach being one of the few willing to consistently play us.

Comment

I'm really excited for the 2013 season to begin.
                          1. Chelsey Feekin, Elizabeth Field, Ashley Andrade and Sam Sanders as seniors.
                          2. Height (6'3" Brisso, 6'3" Lehman, 6'3" Roddy, 6'2" Byers, 6'2" Dudzinski, 6'2" Eakin, 6'2")
                          3. Ashlyn Driskill & Katy Dudzinski
                          4. Coach Lamb, Coach Sanders, Coach Hoffman and boss (Shannon) Lamb :good:
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                            I'm really excited for the 2013 season to begin.
                            1. Chelsey Feekin, Elizabeth Field, Ashley Andrade and Sam Sanders as seniors.
                            2. Height (6'3" Brisso, 6'3" Lehman, 6'3" Roddy, 6'2" Byers, 6'2" Dudzinski, 6'2" Eakin, 6'2")
                            3. Ashlyn Driskill & Katy Dudzinski
                            4. Coach Lamb, Coach Sanders, Coach Hoffman and boss (Shannon) Lamb :good:
                            Don't forget the scenery!

Comment

According to the updated roster the Shocks have added 5 newcomers for this fall.

It would also appear that 2 young ladies are no longer a part of the program. Jordan Loney and Kelsey Banwart. Jordan I can understand (although on a personal note I am devastated) but Kelsey was a big part of the defensive rotation.

At this time I have no updates on either young lady's future, but I wish them both the very best life has to offer.
                              Last edited by WuDrWu; July 6, 2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X