Clear All

• Wichita Tournament This Fall

Holy Mary Mother of God.......

I am hearing reports of a fall tournament to include:

Wichita State
    Hawaii
    Washington
    Creighton

My gosh, that may be better than UT, CSU and BYU last year, and that was spectacular!

Amazing what a Sweet Sixteen will do to validate your program in the eyes of others. We may be hitting that tipping point where we are no longer a really good team that you get no credit for beating to being just a really good team and everybody (and their fanbase) knows it.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

That would be tremendous Doc. Hopefully, Wichita State fans will understand just how special that would be and respond appropriately. Need to average 5,000 in attendance for that kind of quality.

I don't think it hurt too much to get such glowing comments from Tennessee, BYU and CSU about last year's tournament in Wichita.

If Shocker fans will get behind this kind of tournament in big numbers it is something we might be able to build into an annual event.

Comment

I would have to think it also wouldn't hurt the possibility of hosting a sub regional or even a regional at some point.

It's a great time to be a Shocker!

Comment

It's a premium/pay site. The paragraph that mentions the Wichita State tournament reads:

Indoor coach Dave Shoji has added the Wichita State Tournament to the Wahine's fall schedule, Sept. 20-21. The Shockers were 23rd in last year's final poll and a representative said the other two teams tentatively scheduled are Creighton, No. 24, and ninth-ranked Washington, which ended Hawaii's season in December.

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thre...#ixzz2RZM3CrrG

Comment

When would this tournament take place?

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
              When would this tournament take place?
              See the post #5 bt @WuDrWu:.

Sept 20-21 according to Hawaii's head coach, Dave Shoji. Of course, that is unofficial at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                See the post #5 bt @WuDrWu.

Sept 20-21 according to Hawaii's head coach, Dave Shoji. Of course, that is unofficial at this point.
                But it would not surprise me if we play Washington on Thursday. When they came to play here several years ago (same coach), they "requested" that arrangement so that they would only have to play one match per day. (Requested = insisted on that arrangement as a condition of coming here. But times may have changed.)

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  But it would not surprise me if we play Washington on Thursday. When they came to play here several years ago (same coach), they "requested" that arrangement so that they would only have to play one match per day. (Requested = insisted on that arrangement as a condition of coming here. But times may have changed.)
                  If that's what it takes I can live with that. I think Colorado State may have done that last year.

Comment

According to Hawaii's schedule the Shocks will host Creighton and South Dakota in addition to the Rainbow Wahini on Thursday, September 19th thru Saturday, September 21st.

Comment

That's disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        That's disappointing.
                        Hawaii and Creighton are terrific opponents. Too bad we could not have found someone stronger than Sough Dakota to fill out the field.

Hard to believe we could not entice someone pretty good with a lineup of Hawaii, Creighton and WSU on the table. I wonder if somone pulled the rug out from underneath Lambo at the last minute and left him scrambling for a team to fill out the tournament?

Comment

We were probably spoiled from the stacked tournament we had last year. Not knowing anything about South Dakota, you probably need to have the token creampuff in the tournament. If you add another heavy hitter to the mix of Creighton, Hawaii, and Wichita State, it is very likely that any team could finish the tournament 0-3, which could put a serious detour in someone's road to an at-large bid. Yes, losing to 3 good opponents is nothing to be ashamed of, but it would still be 3 losses.

Also, it appears from the Missouri State schedule that WSU will be playing Missouri State on Thursday night when this tournament is supposed to get going. That either means that WSU will be playing four consecutive days (opponent on Sunday?) or WSU will get a day night doubleheader on Friday or Saturday. That seems like a lot of volleyball to play in a short amount of time. Having a lesser opponent in that mix might not be the worst of things.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                            Also, it appears from the Missouri State schedule that WSU will be playing Missouri State on Thursday night when this tournament is supposed to get going. That either means that WSU will be playing four consecutive days (opponent on Sunday?) or WSU will get a day night doubleheader on Friday or Saturday. That seems like a lot of volleyball to play in a short amount of time. Having a lesser opponent in that mix might not be the worst of things.
                            Good catch. That is unusual for sure. One thing is for sure MSU's schedule shows them playing WSU at 7:00 pm on the 19th and Hawaii's schedule shows them playing South Dakota at 8:00 pm. That's not going to happen.

Obviously something is subject to change here. I wonder if they might be able to move the MSU match up to Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.

I guess we will have to wait and see for sure how this shakes out.

Comment

The schedule PDF shows 7 PM but their schedule page shows 6 PM. Hmmm. Like you said, we'll just have to wait to see how it shakes out.
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X