Nebraska Spring Match @ Koch Arena Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer Rule

I, too, wondered about the transfer rule in VB when I saw that Kelsy Robinson is a SR, & former SEC POY. That just doesn't seem quite right to me! WSU has a So RS transfer from Mississippi, Kristin Byers, who laid out last year after transferring, but that may have been because WSU already had 2 JR MB's in Elizabeth Field & Ashley Andrade then. For the big schools like Neb, they apparently seldom keep more than 12 girls around which is the scholarship limit. For one of their 12 girls to lay out a year might work a hardship on them, & they probablyi have the most political power with the NCAA. I guess I do have a problems with a SR transferring & being eligible immediately. It's also interesting that this doesn't happen in men's college sports - transferring without laying out a year!

Comment

I hate to look forward too much. I know I used to be guilty of being an OU-UT like football fan....meaning I was always more interested in who was coming in than who was here. Those days are long gone for me. I enjoy the present, and just mildly pay attention to the future.

We've been fortunate to (for the most part) have a ton of stability in our athletic programs of late, and I believe are reaping the benefits of that consistency across the board.

I know coaches like Lamb, Marshall, Rainbolt, Jones and Foster (for example) won't be here forever....looking at some of the rosters, I am concerned about quality and depth in most of the programs. I know this is volleyball, so we can focus there for now, but does anyone else share my concerns?

Our "difference makers" are seniors this fall....Feekin, Field and Andrade currently are irreplaceable in the here and now. In fact, you could argue that we don't have as much as a single backup for ANY of them. Our only true middle is Eakin and she has struggled in very, very limited opportunity. Our only other setter is Loney who is still learning the position. Now, I think we're really deep defensively, Hinkle is fantastic, Banwart and Urban are more than capable and Dani Mostrom looks like she's ready any time they have to call on her.

We're also deep at the pins. Reilly appears to be the real deal as a 6RP. Driskill is a stud. Mash can play a little and they think the world of Dudzinski but she remains hobbled by the ankle injury...something that appears concerning more than 9 months after the injury.

I was checking the track standings, and when Aliphine and Tonya graduate, we're in a ton of trouble. Those 2 will have to carry the team at the MVC. Admittedly, both are All America, but still....we need an influx of top shelf talent.

Softball isn't great, but we only have 1 pitcher that has a prayer of starting and finishing a game, and she graduates this May.

Don't even get me started on baseball.

Thoughts?

Comment

Great Banquet on Thursday.
        Great Match on Saturday.

Wonderful young ladies who represent the university very well in the classroom and on the court.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
          Great Banquet on Thursday.
          As a good friend said to me in passing at the banquet (complete with dripping sarcasm)....these girls clean up well.

They are fantastic representatives of Wichita State on so many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I hate to look forward too much. I know I used to be guilty of being an OU-UT like football fan....meaning I was always more interested in who was coming in than who was here. Those days are long gone for me. I enjoy the present, and just mildly pay attention to the future.

We've been fortunate to (for the most part) have a ton of stability in our athletic programs of late, and I believe are reaping the benefits of that consistency across the board.

I know coaches like Lamb, Marshall, Rainbolt, Jones and Foster (for example) won't be here forever....looking at some of the rosters, I am concerned about quality and depth in most of the programs. I know this is volleyball, so we can focus there for now, but does anyone else share my concerns?

Our "difference makers" are seniors this fall....Feekin, Field and Andrade currently are irreplaceable in the here and now. In fact, you could argue that we don't have as much as a single backup for ANY of them. Our only true middle is Eakin and she has struggled in very, very limited opportunity. Our only other setter is Loney who is still learning the position. Now, I think we're really deep defensively, Hinkle is fantastic, Banwart and Urban are more than capable and Dani Mostrom looks like she's ready any time they have to call on her.

We're also deep at the pins. Reilly appears to be the real deal as a 6RP. Driskill is a stud. Mash can play a little and they think the world of Dudzinski but she remains hobbled by the ankle injury...something that appears concerning more than 9 months after the injury.

I was checking the track standings, and when Aliphine and Tonya graduate, we're in a ton of trouble. Those 2 will have to carry the team at the MVC. Admittedly, both are All America, but still....we need an influx of top shelf talent.

Softball isn't great, but we only have 1 pitcher that has a prayer of starting and finishing a game, and she graduates this May.

Don't even get me started on baseball.

Thoughts?
            I think its only natural to have ebb and flow in any program.. The thing that I see is keeping the coaching staffs intact or have little turnover year to year. I would hope the coaches and assistants are compensated at a very competitive level. Coach Lamb and others have had opportunities to leave but have chosen to stay for the things that are important to them. Just because you pay someone a whole lot of money doesn't guarantee a top notch program however.

Comment

Working...
            X