It's time for a new facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time for a new facility

Now is the time for ADES to earn his pay, establish his legacy, and get out from the shadows of Jim Schaus and start work on raising money for a state of the art women's basketball and women's VB facility
    I envision one that would hold 5,000 designed for future expansion.
    This facility would help to not only maintain the momentum of the VB program, but trigger it to the next level.
    It would also help the women's basketball program.

Koch arena is great, but it's too big for the VB and women's BB program.
    It's a great time to enhance WSU's facilities before the big push comes within 5-10 years to bring back football.

Now's the time.

When I win the 500 million dollar powerball tomorrow, you can be sure the **My Name Here** Arena will be constructed. I will tear down Cessna Stadium and have constructed a 100 million 50K football stadium. All this should still leave me 150 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      Now is the time for ADES to earn his pay, establish his legacy, and get out from the shadows of Jim Schaus and start work on raising money for a state of the art women's basketball and women's VB facility
      I envision one that would hold 5,000 designed for future expansion.
      This facility would help to not only maintain the momentum of the VB program, but trigger it to the next level.
      It would also help the women's basketball program.

Koch arena is great, but it's too big for the VB and women's BB program.
      It's a great time to enhance WSU's facilities before the big push comes within 5-10 years to bring back football.

Now's the time.
      might as well wait the 5-10 years for when they bring back football, so they can use the new the cost of building new facilities for womens VB and BB as part of the Title 19 calculations.

Comment

I have a hard time seeing a separate volleyball/women's basketball facility as a wise prioritization of resources. It's not like watching either of these sports in Koch is anywhere near a bad atmosphere and I don't see that the advantages even begin to justify the cost. Koch has great locker rooms and practice facilities, so I don't see it as much of a recruiting advantage and I don't really see how a seperate facility would help attendance much. It creates a marginally better gameday atmosphere for a high cost point and land usage.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

And I'd hate to build it too small. If/when the economy picks up, I suspect VB attendance will rise again and 5K would be too small. The atmosphere for VB is already pretty good at The Roundhouse. Womens basketball on the other hand.... At least when I was there last season it's not great. But I don't see a justification of spending that kind of money on a place that would only benefit them and potentially hinder the growth of VB.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            And I'd hate to build it too small. If/when the economy picks up, I suspect VB attendance will rise again and 5K would be too small. The atmosphere for VB is already pretty good at The Roundhouse. Womens basketball on the other hand.... At least when I was there last season it's not great. But I don't see a justification of spending that kind of money on a place that would only benefit them and potentially hinder the growth of VB.
            5K would be plenty big for women's VB. We have never come close to sniffing 5K in average attendance. 4K would probably be plenty for VB. However, Koch Arena sets up very well for VB, allows the crowd to spread out comfortably and the accoustics of Koch allow the crowd to create a very good environment.

If the goal is to create a better game environment for Women's BB we could just lease about any high school gym for the games and accomodate the WBB crowds quite nicely.

Now there may come a time when a wealthy donor decides they want a monument at Wichita State with their name on it and we perhaps will get such a facility.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 28, 2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

How about getting a proper vb floor for Koch? It was done for the Team USA event a few years ago.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                How about getting a proper vb floor for Koch? It was done for the Team USA event a few years ago.
                I wouldn't mind that. I loved that floor Team USA brought with them the two years they were here. Not sure what a floor like that costs and there are no doubt some logistical issues.

Comment

They must have put down a sport court, the majority of major junior vb tournaments are played on it. The facility crew would hate this at Koch, they are already pushed several times in changing from vb to b-ball. A nice wood court I believe is more than adequate. Would love to see a 3/m to 4/m arena, would sound like a packed Koch.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I wouldn't mind that. I loved that floor Team USA brought with them the two years they were here. Not sure what a floor like that costs and there are no doubt some logistical issues.
                    A number of years ago, I asked one of the coaches about the portable floor as a number of collegiate volleyball teams seemed to have them. That coach (I don't really recall which one) indicated that there seemed to be injury issues with them (SportCourt?). Of course, NCAA uses the court for the championship site and FIVB uses it also as mentioned, but they are playing at "unknown" arenas and at least know what the floor is going to be. I don't think I see them as much anymore at collegiate sites. Who knows.

Comment

CU and Nebraska both play in smaller venues than their basketball counterparts, but CU is not Wichita State in attendance and Wichita State is certainly not Nebraska. But.... if someone were to step forward with a nice contribution, I'd support it!

Comment

We went down to Norman to watch the Shocks and loved what they have done to their gym. The majority of seats are so close to the court, something like this would be a great home advantage for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                          We went down to Norman to watch the Shocks and loved what they have done to their gym. The majority of seats are so close to the court, something like this would be a great home advantage for the Shocks.
                          OU's McCasland Fieldhouse is a dump. If we were to build something new it would put that place to shame. Koch Arena is already much superior to McCasland, especially for an NCAA event.

Creighton and Bradley have nice new facilities for VB and WBB.

Comment

Sure it's an old facility but it looked like there have been some recent renovations. We liked being close to the action and hearing the communications of the players and coaches. Gotta believe it would be a lot of fun with a big crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                              Gotta believe it would be a lot of fun with a big crowd.
                              No doubt, OTOH I consider the Shocker VB matches at Koch Arena fun. I'm a little odd though I could be sitting on the floor with my match club membership but I prefer to sit in the 1st row of the upper bowl. I just enjoy that birds eye perspective more. But that's just my personal preference. I would enjoy Shocker VB just about anywhere they played.

Comment

Working...
                              X