This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
    Certainly not trying to stir things up, and I would imagine the answer is obvious as to “why”, but for those who follow the softball team closer than me over the years, when was the last time the Shocks recruited and had someone local (Wichita area, ... I assume the answer is that the talent must not be D1 enough locally. Is that right? Just curious.

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    There is certainly some D1 talent in the area, ...

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would note the recruiting local talent and signing local talent are to totally different questions. I think the talent pool in Kansas generally is relatively shallow for all sports, not just softball.

So, the flip side of this question is how many players left the area to play elsewhere. I don't know the answer to that question.

Ryleigh Buck was mentioned above. Wylie Glover was at Marshall her first year before coming to WSU. After that, ...?

As a side note, Erin Carney was plenty good. A serious leg? injury hampered her career.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

​So, the flip side of this question is how many players left the area to play elsewhere. I don't know the answer to that question.

Ryleigh Buck was mentioned above. Wylie Glover was at Marshall her first year before coming to WSU. After that, ...
      Emily Griggs (Maize) went to LSU.

Kelsey Stewart (Ark City, Maize for her senior year) went to Florida.

Both of those programs are perennial NCAA Tournament participants. Kelsey was part of the USWNT for a short time.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Emily Griggs (Maize) went to LSU.

Kelsey Stewart (Ark City, Maize for her senior year) went to Florida.

Both of those programs are perennial NCAA Tournament participants. Kelsey was part of the USWNT for a short time.
        There was also Julia Cottrill from Andover Central that went to Florida and then transferred to Oklahoma State where her father was an assistant coach. She also played in the AUX league here in Wichita this summer along with Kelsey Stewart.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If they moved HS softball to the fall and increased allowed number of games played in Kansas it would give players more time to play on club teams starting in Spring with players from other states and give them more game speed action in the Fall by extending the season an extra month. The Volleyball/Softball conflict is a lame argument in today’s world.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

There was also Julia Cottrill from Andover Central ...
            Perhaps. She learned softball in the Wichita area. She had one year at Andover Central, and then on to Stillwater for her last three years of HS ball, her "recruited" years. SEC bound again.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; 1 week ago.

Comment

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                If they moved HS softball to the fall and increased allowed number of games played in Kansas it would give players more time to play on club teams starting in Spring with players from other states and give them more game speed action in the Fall by extending the season an extra month. The Volleyball/Softball conflict is a lame argument in today’s world.
                I'm willing to hear where I'm wrong. The current world of athletics may be so much more specialized (where everyone plays one sport year round) than in the past, that I'm out of touch. However, maybe girls (boys too) just don't get to have "fun" playing anymore, because they all are thinking about making it as a pro, In the not too distant past, I knew quite a few girls who enjoyed playing both sports. But I'm willing to listen that times change, even if it's not for the betterment of development for youth sports. With the shortage of referees, and possibly unreasonable parents, and increased traveling teams which takes away from local team development, maybe youth character development (which fun is a part of) is a past goal. Future success may be all there is to athletics to a number of parents and youth.

Comment

Sara Wiggins is a 5-8 RHP, OF, IB out of Montgomery, TX a town of about 2,000 on the west side of Lake Conroe just a bit up the road from Margaritaville Lake Resort just north of Houston. Sounds laid back. Sara is a club teammate of Shocker Class of 26 commit Ariel Arambula on Hotshots National 08 Galloway team.

Recruiting Profile and Highlights: https://sportsrecruits.com/athlete/sara_wiggins (Note most of these videos are 2 years old or older. So still pretty young.)

From this past summer:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 day ago.

Comment

Man....Lake Conroe is a very, very nice area. Great golfing too. That would be a tough place to leave, even for college.

Comment

Working...
                    X