Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice W. Enjoyed the 5th set energy.

Comment

The Shocks certainly carried the 4th set momentum into the 5th set.

Cruise to a 15-9 win over a pretty good Cal Poly team.

My POG was Alyssa. I have no idea about her stats at this point but I thought she was by far our best pin player.

I didn't think the Sbocks had much of a chance after the 3rd set but credit to them for grinding thus one out.

Is it my imagination or is this team below average in taking advantage of free balls?
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Not sure what the block stats are but that seems to be a key allowing the Shocks to be in this match.
        Just saw the box score. Cal Poly had 9 blocks. The Shocks had 23. Wow.

Sarah had 9 block assists and 1 block solo. Morgan had 8 block assists and 3 block solos.

That is a new 5-set match rally scoring era record breaking the mark of 22 against Indiana State in 2001.

Update: The box score was apparently incorrect. The Shocks had 18 blocks. Still a great effort.

Comment

In other Shocker VB news Morgan Stout will miss this weeks matches due to a concussion the cause of which is unknown.
          Morgan needs to think about going into acting after her volleyball career is over. Look at her expression just before she goes out of frame, she really sold that fall.

Comment

We won the first set because we could block.

We lost the next two sets because we could not serve/receive and could not read a tip if our lives depended on it.

We hung around in the fourth set and finally won it late.

Reagan started the fifth set with some nice serves [EDIT: No, the serves were late in the fourth set and gave the Shocks some separation from CP], and the outcome was never in doubt. Morgan had several nice kills followed by her trademark celebrations, the first of those I have seen this year with my limited viewing.

There were times when I thought we were looking at a 1-3 result, but the Shocks persevered.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

Morgan needs to think about going into acting after her volleyball career is over. Look at her expression just before she goes out of frame, she really sold that fall.
              Yes, that was very funny.

Comment

My POG was Alyssa. I have no idea about her stats at this point but I thought she was by far our best pin player.
                Alyssa was 16-2-33 = .424

A very good performance indeed.

Update: The initial box score was incorrect. Alyssa was 12-2-28 = .357. Still my POG.

Comment

Just saw the box score. Cal Poly had 9 blocks. The Shocks had 23. Wow.

Sarah had 9 block assists and 1 block solo. Morgan had 8 block assists and 3 block solos.

That is a new 5-set match rally scoring era record breaking the mark of 22 against Indiana State in 2001.
                  That's awesome.

I really, really, really enjoying watching Morgan play. I haven't checked out the box score yet, but the 5th set was the Morgan and Gonzo show. Good win. I think there were times when both Sarah and Morgan were in the front row at the same time, Morgan playing right and Sarah in the middle. Maybe I was seeing things, I dunno. Brooklyn was playing middle at one point and got a block, it might have been a solo block.

The stats stopped after the first set, on line AND on the scoreboard. Around the 4th set the scoreboard was sort of updated, Morgan was on the court but not on the scoreboard. I get having problems with the stats online, but having problems with the stats on the scoreboard seemed odd. It had Izzi with 20 something assists and Cal Poly's setter had over 50 assists. We had quite a few aces too, Reagan had back to back aces. Cal Poly is a big team and they seemed to be able to keep the ball off the court. Their position 4 to position 4 hits gave us problems.

I did attend the UNC vs Omaha game. #3 for Omaha has a nice top spin jump serve that might give us problems. Omaha also had 17 service errors, which helped keep UNC close in a couple of sets. UNC committed 10 service errors. UNC's setter scored a few points off setter dumps. The Shockers will have to watch for that.

I believe Annalie's parents made the trip up from Houston to watch her play this weekend.

Comment

Apparently whatever Lambo thought he had up his sleeve for Maddie Wilson did not come to fruition for whatever reason. It wasn't effective when they tried in practice, the just did to have enough time to put it in (2 practices), or perhaps Maddie simply is not ready physically. Maddie played very sparingly in 3 of the 5 sets tonight.

The Shocks managed to grind out a win tonight, largely due to the big block party they held, but they have a lot things to cleanup and to tune up. They are far from clicking on all cylinders at this point and that could make for a bit of a rough ride through the season.

Comment

I will be unable to use my 2 season tickets for the Friday match vs Northern Colorado.

If anyone is interested in those let me know. I can send them to you via a text message. You will need a WSU ticket office account to download them which is not too hard to setup if you don't have one.

If you are interested send me a PM with a name and a mobile phone number.
                      I still have these tix available, however, not sure I can transfer them. When I showed up to the VB game tonight I could not pull up my Cal Poly tickets on the mobile app and I wasn't the only one. I wonder if the issues with this mobile digital ticketing application might have something to do with WSU parting ways with Russell Wilkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                        #3 for Omaha has a nice top spin jump serve that might give us problems.
                        Her serve had a big slice to it and gave Northern problems.

Comment

I still have these tix available, however, not sure I can transfer them. When I showed up to the VB game tonight I could not pull up my Cal Poly tickets on the mobile app and I wasn't the only one. I wonder if the issues with this mobile digital ticketing application might have something to do with WSU parting ways with Russell Wilkins.
                          '72, are you using Apple Wallet? I downloaded the all in one ticket and it updated twice yesterday and now has the 2pm Cal Poly v Omaha match tickets available.

I haven't tried this season yet, but in the past, screenshotting the ticket (with QR code) and texting the photo worked every time for me transferring tickets. I'm not saying it will work now, simply curious what APP you're using for the tickets.

And while I am NOT privy to the goings on inside athletics, I don't think this has anything to do with personnel changes. I think they are consolidating and outsourcing where they think it works best. FWIW, and that ain't much.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            '72, are you using Apple Wallet? I downloaded the all in one ticket and it updated twice yesterday and now has the 2pm Cal Poly v Omaha match tickets available.
                            I am using whatever the WSU Ticket Office provided when I bought my VB season tickets. I have never used a digital wallet so maybe I just don't know how to use it. But these things are supposed to make things simpler and easier, not impossible.

Comment

Both articles on goshockers.com about the Cal Poly match don't jive with the numbers in the box score, I know the live stats weren't working last night so maybe that is the issue.

The goshockers.com match writeup, Shockers Rally Past Cal Poly, reports that the Shocks had 18 blocks overall and reported that Alyssa Gonzales finished with a team-high 12 kills on a .357 hitting percentage, while Emerson Wilford logged a double-double with 10 kills and 10 digs. Izzi Strand recorded 36 assists, 10 digs and five kills of her own. Wichita State hit .172 to Cal Poly's .176, but committed 12 fewer attack errors.

​Paul Suellentrop in his RH: "I Was Going To Put It Away" report also reported 18 blocks, 12 kills for Alyssa and 10 kills for Emerson.​​

According to the Box Score the Shocks had 23 blocks overall, Alyssa hit 16-2-33 = .424, Emerson had 14 kills and 13 digs, and Izzi recorded 50 assists, 12 digs and 6 kills and Wichita State hit .209 to Cal Poly's .176.​

For now I am sticking with the Box Score as the accurate stats (36 assists from Izzi in a five set win doesn't make sense) although the box score also shows the set scores as: 25-22, 20-25, 19-25, 34-25 and 30-18. So maybe those stats are in question as well.

And then there is this that jives with the articles but not the box score:

Finally, I looked at the stats page on goshockers.com and it seems to agree with the articles and not the box score.

Update: The box score was apparently wrong and has been corrected.

Comment

The box score has now been changed and it now agrees with the numbers reported in the articles. So the Shockers did not set a single match record for blocks (in the rally scoring era). Alyssa still gets my POG and let's certainly hope she has found something that she can carry forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X