WSU @ INS and ILS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU @ INS and ILS

Shocks takes on last place Indiana State (3-19, 1-11) at 6:00 pm CDT on Friday. Not too worried about this one. If the Shocks would lose to the Sycamores then their season would effectively be over.

OTOH, I am quite concerned about the match against Illinois State (7-5, 13-9) at 7:00 pm CDT on Saturday in Normal.

When the Redbirds were in Wichtia I thought they had the best talent of any of the teams I have seen who are behind the Shocks in the standings (I have not seen MSU yet this year).

A loss to the Redbirds, which is not out of realm of possibility, would probably put the Shocks in the position of having to win the MVC Tournament to advance to post-season play.

So yes, this is another key match for the Lady Shocks. Let's hope they will repsond in a positive way.

:poster_shocks:

Match Notes: http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...DB_OEM_ID=7500

Big weekend for the Wahine Shockers. Really need to win the next 6 straight to have a great feeling about an at large. It would appear we are going to have to go through both UNI and CU in Springfield to get an autobid, and from what I've seen so far, there's a far better chance I'm going to get a call from Sarah McGee to go out partying this weekend. Hold serve this weekend then find a way to get the Jays at home and finish the season strong.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Hold serve this weekend. Then we have another tough task vs Missouri State next Friday. A couple of weeks ago this looked like it might not be as tough a task as it normally is then out-of-the-blue the Lady Bears knock off UNI at home last week.

I do agree that getting through UNI and CU in Springfield to the autobid is a longshot, although I will say it is possible that Sarah might possibly need a designated driver.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I do agree that getting through UNI and CU in Springfield to the autobid is a longshot ...
        The first goal, it seems, is to avoid playing the Bears on their home court in the first round of the conference tournament. Even with a loss then, I think we still get in the NCAAs on our RPI, but why take the chance?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Hold serve this weekend. Then we have another tough task vs Missouri State next Friday. A couple of weeks ago this looked like it might not be as tough a task as it normally is then out-of-the-blue the Lady Bears knock off UNI at home last week.

I do agree that getting through UNI and CU in Springfield to the autobid is a longshot, although I will say it is possible that Sarah might possibly need a designated driver.
          Trust me, in that dream scenario, this fan will be 100% sober.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            The first goal, it seems, is to avoid playing the Bears on their home court in the first round of the conference tournament. Even with a loss then, I think we still get in the NCAAs on our RPI, but why take the chance?
            I agree. The ultimate for the Shocks would be to secure the #2 seed, however, while technically possible the odds of that happening are extremely low.

The Shocks lose the tiebreakers to either UNI or CU so they would have to take 2nd place outright. That requires that the Shocks win all 5 of their remaining matches (@INS, @ILS, MSU, CU and DU) AND either one of the two scenarios play out:

1. CU loses 3 of its final 6 matches (@BU, @UNI, INS, ILS, @ WSU , @MSU) OR

2. UNI loses 2 of its remaining 5 matches (DU, CU, @SIU, @EU, BU).

It does look like the six tournament participants are all but set in stone. UNI, CU, WSU, ILS, SIU and MSU. UNI and CU most likel getting the byes as the top 2 seeds unless the unthinkable happens per above.

The Shocks probably need 3 more wins to secure the #3 seed outright. 2 more wins probably will be good enough but would not feel very good. Again making this weekend signficant.

The #3 seed will play the #6 seed in the Tournament. Currently that would, in fact, be MSU. However, there could be much shuffling between 4, 5 and 6 spots over the final 3 weekends. If you don't want to play MSU in Springfield in Round 1 then you need to root for the Lady Bears to overtake SIU and/or ILS.

My preference for a 1st round opponent would be a bye (highly unlikely) followed by SIU, ILS and MSU in order of preference. And any of the latter 3 would be a tough match.

Comment

Pre-game show apparently is internet-only. I assume 103.7 FM will shown at 6:00.

Comment

Some concern about a shoulder issue with Sam. Just disovered this morning.

She will be a game time decision, but she was struggling during the walk-through earlier today.

Mike said Sam was not taking any swings in the pre-match warm-up.

Katie Reilly will step into Sam's place in the lineup. Katie has not played much since earlier in the season.

Comment

Indiana State took their 1st lead of the set at 22-21 on a solo block of an Emily Adney attack. After falling behind 22-24 the Shocks saved two set points, one a kill by Ashlyn Driskill and one on a block by Chelsey Feekin forcing an INS time out.

After the time out Indiana State scored the next 2 points on a kill and a Shocker attack error to take the 1st set 26-24.

The Sycamores now probably think they can win this match.

Sounds like the Shocks are playing somewhat uninspired volleyball.

Comment

Shocks restore a little order in Set 2 tying the match at 1-1 with a 25-15 win.

Ashlyn Driskill leading the way.

Comment

Shocks allow an 8-point run by the Sycamores to fall behind 5-11 in Set 3.

:banghead:

Comment

Chelsey Feekin out with an injury. Not sure what happened. Jordon Loney is in. INS up 13-9.

Comment

Shocks falling apart. Now trailing 9-17.

Comment

Mike thinks Chelsey may have been kicked in the head and is being checked for concussion symptoms.

Comment

Shocks getting very little from Adney, Andrade or Field.

Chelsey back on the court. With the Shocks trailing 20-14.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 2, 2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X