Pitching - 2023 v 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching - 2023 v 2024

This topic has come up in a number of threads through the season. I volunteered to put some numbers together to see what they might tell us. I finally decided on a fairly simple approach - hopefully, not too simple. You may want to skip the next two paragraphs and go straight to the "table" that follows.

In 2023, the average team OPS for the other AAC teams using their conference games only was .729. This includes all of their conference games and not just those against the Shockers. The ERA/WHIP for the Shocker staff during those conference games was Alex: 1.54/1.06, Lauren: 1.88/1.10, and Alison: 3.50/1.50.

In 2024, the conference opponents OPS through the games of 14 April is .752. This is a better number than last year, but not substantially better. The staff numbers for 2024 are Alex: 4.27/1.75, Lauren: 3.04/1.63, and Alison: 5.66/2.12.

So for 2023 v 2024, using OPS and ERA/WHIP we have

Opponents OPS - .729 v .752

Alex ERA - 1.54 v 4.27
    Lauren - 1.88 v 3.04
    Alison - 3.50 v 5.66

Alex WHIP - 1.06 v 1.75
    Lauren - 1.10 v 1.63
    Alison - 1.50 v 2.12​

We knew the numbers were not as good, but I was stunned when I compared this year with last. And the numbers are substantially worse across the board, not just one pitcher.

Is the slightly improved offense of the rest of the AAC part of this? Is the Shocker defense not "covering as much ground" as they did last year? Are the pitchers feeling more pressure because of a diminished offense (OPS of 1.006 v .981 - not that much of a drop-off)? Is the new pitching coach hurting and not helping? You may have possibilities of your own.

If something looks wrong, say so, and I can try to chase it down.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; 3 weeks ago.

I will update the table after the regular season but before the Conference Tournament. At least, that is my intent.

As I have suggested in the past, I do not think the new pitching coach is working out. There is nothing compelling in the resume. I think the hire was a colleague who needed a job. BWDIK.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      As I have suggested in the past, I do not think the new pitching coach is working out. There is nothing compelling in the resume. I think the hire was a colleague who needed a job. BWDIK.
      I agree. The pitching coach is a big commonality. As you suggested there are several possible contributors to the pitching numbers getting worse and I hope the coaching staff is doing all they can to address the ones they can control.

Chloe fell off the map. She was averaging 2 strikeouts per inning. Granted she also walked and wild pitched herself into RISP situations, I would think that a pitcher that was averaging 2 strikeouts would be heavy in the pitching rotation. Then something happened and Chloe's control issues got worse, not better. That seems like a coaching thing, be it something with mechanics or between the ears.

Are they fixing/fiddling with something that is broken, and it will be better than before, or is it a case of fixing something that ain't broke? Or, even worse, fixing it till it's broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

I agree. The pitching coach is a big commonality. As you suggested there are several possible contributors to the pitching numbers getting worse and I hope the coaching staff is doing all they can to address the ones they can control.

Chloe fell off the map. She was averaging 2 strikeouts per inning. Granted she also walked and wild pitched herself into RISP situations, I would think that a pitcher that was averaging 2 strikeouts would be heavy in the pitching rotation. Then something happened and Chloe's control issues got worse, not better. That seems like a coaching thing, be it something with mechanics or between the ears.

Are they fixing/fiddling with something that is broken, and it will be better than before, or is it a case of fixing something that ain't broke? Or, even worse, fixing it till it's broke.
        Great questions. I admit I know virtually nothing about softball pitching mechanics so I rely on those who do know to fill me in. Something is amidst.

Comment

Working...
        X