Shocker SB at South Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at South Florida

The Shockers continue their conference schedule with a trek to Tampa for a weekend series with USF. Games are Friday at 5 pm, Saturday at 3 pm, and Sunday at 9 am (airline connections?).

The Bulls are 28-15 overall with a 7-8 mark in the AAC. They have lost series to Charlotte, Tulsa, UAB, and North Texas but swept Memphis last weekend. Of note, USF defeated #9 Florida on Wednesday.

[Again, conference stats only] The highest OPS for USF belongs to Alanah Rivera at .847 with three others in the .700s. All but one conference start belongs to either Payton Dixon (ERA of 1.35 and WHIP of 1.19) or Belle Sardja (5.36 and 1.71).

Big OPS Shockers are Addison (1.811 and eight homers), Taylor (1.713 and eight homers), CC (1.486 and five homers), and Krystin (1.424).

In innings-pitched order are Alex (4.09 and 1.75 in 37.2), Alison (6.79 and 2.25 in 22.2), Lauren (3.26 and 1.57 in 19.1), and Chloe (7.38 and 2.15 in 12.1).
    Last edited by flyingMoose; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Scoreless after 3.

Caroline saved the Shockers at least 2 runs with her defense in the 2nd inning. With 2 on via a single and a walk and no outs Caroline made a terrific diving catch of a bunt that was foul popped. The next batter grounded to short and on the back end of a 6-4-3 double play attempt Caroline save a wild throw from Sami backhanding a ball that that was bounced and up the line to the outfield side of the back. With runners on the corners Caroline snagged a hard hit line drive to end the USF at bat.

Interestingly, the Shocks had both Lauren Howell and Erica Schertz up throwing during the bottom of the 2nd.

Alison probably had her best and certainly her easiest inning in the 3rd.

Sierra, Taylor and Burbs all had at bats with RISP but none could deliver.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

After Sami flied out to left center leading off the top of the 4th Caroline worked a 9-pitch walk then took 2nd on a wild pitch. Lainee grounded a single through the 5-6 hole with Caroline only able to advance to 3rd as she had to make sure the ball got through. Jessica Garcia came in to pinch hit for Sierra and worked a 7-pitch walk to load the bases. Krystin then reach out and blooped an ball that just did get over the shortstop scoring Caroline with the 1st run of the game. CC, who the announcers said was hitting .857 with the bases loaded. Well that average went up as CC drove a rocket far over the outfield wall just the right of the batters eye and in the blink of a batter's eye the Shocks lead 5-0.

After going 0-3 with RISP in the first three innings the Shocks go 3-3 in the 4th innings.

Now we need Alison to come out and keep USF at bay.

Comment

Wong Shama Lama Ding Dong

Grand Salami

Comment

Alison didn't exactly shut the door on USF in the bottom of the 4th but she managed to work out of a bases loaded one out jam. A SMH my head walk to the lead off batter then after, a line drive right at Addie in center, a sharp single to left off of Krystin's glove, and then a line drove off the handle short-hopped Caroline at 1st and the runner reach safely when Carlone could not locate the carom loaded the bases with 1 out. At least Caroline was able to keep that ball on the infield.

After falling behind 2-0 Alison induce a little soft bloop into foul territory that Krystin was able to make a nice leaping, backhanded catch on. The Alison got a slow roller right back to her to get out of the mess with no harm.

Comment

The Shocks went down in order in the top of the 5th and USF is threatening again in the bottom half of the 5th.

After a fly out to Alison opened the USF at bat, an error on Sierra at short, a seeing-eye single to right that bounced of the tip of Sami's glove and a walk loaded the bases again for USF with only 1 out. A grounder right at Krystin at 3rd resulted in a force out at the plate. USF beat out a slow roller to short plating a run for the Bulls. Not much Sierra could really do about it. Alison then knocked down a one hopper just to her left and was able to retrieve it quickly and get the final out at first.

Shocks 5 - USF 1 after 5 innings.

You can tell HCKB has no confidence in her bullpen arms letting Alison work out of consecutive 1-out bases loaded jams. And I have to admit that I don't fell all that safe with this lead.

Comment

The Shocks get Addie to the plate in the top of the 6th Sierra on after being hit by a pitch and CC walking. Addie skied to left center and looks like she just missed that one. Maybe out on the end of the bat.

USF leads of the bottom of the 6th with a hard line drive single to left. A sharp grounder right up the middle puts runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs. I think HCKB is going to have to give USF a different look. She goes to Lauren Howell and her 8.31 ERA.

A 2-run double to the base of the wall in right center drives in both runners and it is a 5-3 ball game. A well hit sac fly to right center mover the runner to 3rd with 1 out. A really nice diving pick of blooper into shallow left by Burbs records the 2nd out. Krystin with a nice job on a slow 3-hopper to her left as she made a quick, strong throw to get the Shocks to the 7th with lead still in tact but cut in half.

Comment

I’m still waiting for the pitcher comparison between the last two years.

Comment

Taylor, Burbs and Sami go down in order and in quick fashion in the top of the 7th. The Shocks have done a poor job adjusting to the slower offerings of this USF relief pitcher.

Lauren picks a good time to get the 1st strike out of the game for Shocker pitchers to lead off the 7th. Lauren grabs a one hooper right above her head and tosses to 1st for out number 2. Then a 4-pitch walk (although the 1st pitch was probably a strike) bring the tying run to the plate. An easy grounder to Sami at 2nd closed it out.

A pretty decent job by Lauren after giving up the 2-run double to the 1st batter she faced.

Good to get a win but I can't say the Shocks looked all that good. But they did a good job grinding it out, making some nice defensive plays and getting the huge grand slam from CC.

The Shocks got out hit in this game 8-5. USF left 12 runners on base.

Comment

Something I have notice about Lauren this year is that she has no command of her rise ball. It is so far above the strike zone as to be pretty worthless. I think she will occasionally throw a change and perhaps some drops but it seems like the only pitch she can throw strikes with is her fastball and so opposing teams are just sitting on that.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        I’m still waiting for the pitcher comparison between the last two years.
                        Let me try to find the time after this weekend. It is not just straight '23 v '24 numbers. You have to try to factor in the strength of the league offenses in those two years.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Let me try to find the time after this weekend. It is not just straight '23 v '24 numbers. You have to try to factor in the strength of the league offenses in those two years.
                          Which is exactly why you are the person for the job.

Comment

Alison with another strong outing. I think the OU game gave her a lot of confidence. She had a couple of rough spots but was able to get out of them. I hope the rest of the pitching staff figures out that throwing strikes is key.
                            Go Shocks!

Comment

Other Friday Games

Charlotte 10-5 UTSA

Florida Atlantic 2-4 North Texas

East Carolina 1-2 Tulsa

Memphis 2-10(6) UAB

Comment

Working...
                              X