Shocker SB at #4/7 Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at #4/7 Oklahoma State

The Shockers begin their "mid-week" season with a game in Stillwater against highly ranked Oklahoma State on Wednesday at 6 pm.

The Cowgirls have a record of 17-2. They are 3-2 against ranked teams, losing to undefeated #3 (currently) LSU and #7 Georgia. They have a 6-1 win over USF. They are #10 in this week's RPI.

Oklahoma State have seven!! players with an OPS greater than 1.000. I'll give you four of them: Tallen Edwards (1.244 and four homers), Rosie Davis (1.232), Claire Timm (1.230), and Carline Wang (1.197 and six homers). Two others have four homers; the team total is 32 home runs. With eight runs-ahead wins, it is hard to know if their schedule is a bit soft in places or if they are offensive powerhouse.

The leading pitchers by innings are Lexi Kilfoyl (ERA of 0.96 and WHIP of 0.61) and Ivy Rosenberry (0.24 and 0.93). I expect the Shockers will see neither of these pitchers? Also with significant innings are Kyra Aycock (3.20 and 1.34) and Katie Kutz (2.67 and 1.10).

The Shocker offense continues to be led by CC (1.471 and five homers), Addison (1.103 and five homers), and Bailey ( .968).

Chloe leads the staff with 2.79 and 1.35. The other numbers range from ugly to really ugly. Alison at 4.30 and 1.48 is the best of the rest.

How the staff will be used will be interesting given a big conference series against Florida Atlantic this weekend.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 5, 2024, 02:58 PM.

This week's NCAA RPI numbers for some AAC teams:

20 Charlotte
    21 Shockers
    39 Florida Atlantic
    44 South Florida
    48 East Carolina
    50 Tulsa

Impressive for a mid-major.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      How the staff will be used will be interesting given a big conference series against Florida Atlantic this weekend
      That will be interesting. It's not only what is coming up this weekend but what they are coming off of this past weekend.

Chloe pitched 13.2 innings, Alex pitched 6.1 innings, Lauren pitched 2.1 innings, and Alison pitched 1.2 innings.

I'm thinking you really have to go with Alex, Alison and/or Lauren against OSU. Maybe split it up as we need to get at least a couple of these ladies back on track. Could bring Chloe in late if you are in a position where you need a save although that doesn't seem too likely.

As you have previously pointed out, the way Alex, Alison & Lauren are going in the circle pretty much dictates that Chloe needs to be the Friday-Sunday starter in AAC play.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

As you have previously pointed out, the way Alex, Alison & Lauren are going in the circle pretty much dictates that Chloe needs to be the Friday-Sunday starter in AAC play.
        With the possibility of rain Thursday and Friday, they will be working hard on field prep, making sure the tarp is down good and water does not get under it. They want to avoid a Saturday DH when Chloe would have to pitch back-to-back days.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

With the possibility of rain Thursday and Friday, they will be working hard on field prep, making sure the tarp is down good and water does not get under it. They want to avoid a Saturday DH when Chloe would have to pitch back-to-back days.
          Good point. Friday is looking very iffy right now. Although, pitching on back-to-back days is not unheard of. But I could see where that might influence what you might want to do pitching-wise vs OSU on Wednesday. The way things are going this year I'm not wiling to be the weather will be kind to the Shocks.

At least the Shocks only have to worry about the infield.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Good point. Friday is looking very iffy right now. Although, pitching on back-to-back days is not unheard of. But I could see where that might influence what you might want to do pitching-wise vs OSU on Wednesday. The way things are going this year I'm not wiling to be the weather will be kind to the Shocks.

At least the Shocks only have to worry about the infield.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole field turf, infield included?
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole field turf, infield included?
              From a release dated 07 August 2023-

"In addition to several of the latest significant upgrades, Wichita State recently completed installation of artificial turf in the outfield, warning track, foul territory and apron areas."

I may drive over and take a look.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; March 5, 2024, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Looks like a dirt infield to me:

Comment

Yep, definitely still dirt on the field. Foul territory is contoured nicely to drain the water away from the field.

My guess is that Conference Policy specifies a dirt infield. Everybody already had a tarp anyway.

Comment

Shockers at #4/7 Oklahoma State

Lineup: CC 2b, Addison, Taylor, Bailey, Lainee, Mila 1b, Caroline dp, Siera ss, Krystin 3b with Alex in the circle. Lexi Kilfoyl, one of the Cowgirl aces, is their starter.

[I am away this evening, so that was my contribution to game-reporting. :) ]
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 6, 2024, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Alex getting the start in the circle.

No Sami Hood. That's a bit concerning. Hopefully, not injured.

Lexi Kilfoyl (ERA of 0.96 and WHIP of 0.61) in the circle for the Cowgirls.

Now I know why flyingMoose bugged out.

Very tough challenge for the Shocks.

Comment

Three up three down for WSU

Alex pitched well on the first. Gave up an infield single that should have been an error and that's it.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Definitely was an error.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 6, 2024, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Nice to see Bailey rope a hit into LF.

Not sure what Lainee did but she got out real quick.

Mila got plunked.

Caroline goes down swinging.

Sierra appears to be injured after taking a pitch. Lower back and she's in a lot of pain.

Announcers mentioned Sami is ill

My oven went off and I have no idea who came in or how the inning ended

Sydney came in. She's going to RF and Taylor moves in to play SS
                            Last edited by SubGod22; March 6, 2024, 06:37 PM.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Looks like Sierra was just hit with a lower back spasm. Been there, done that and it ain't fun. Sami not playing due to illness and did not make the trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X