No announcement yet.

Spring Volleyball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had previously heard that Izzi was not playing this spring due to an injury (I think someone mentioned a shoulder, but I am not totally sure about that) but I had not heard that Morgan Stout was not playing this spring as well. Katie and Emerson mentioned it but did not delve into very much.

Not sure I remembered them having trip to Brazil in May. Perhaps somehow connected to the recruitment of Ba Kohler, who has transferred to Florida Gulf Coast.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 11, 2024, 07:26 AM.

Comment

RH: Podcast With Chris Lamb On Wichita State Volleyball

Listen to the podcast.

Wichita State volleyball coach Chris Lamb is with us to wrap up spring practices and scrimmages.

We get into how Emerson Wilford's role will increase and why her talents remind Lamb of former Shocker Emily Adney. He breaks down how he thinks Sarah Barham, a transfer from Wofford, and returner Morgan Stout will give the Shockers strong blocking in the middle next fall.

Point-scoring is a big question on Lamb's mind, so he discusses sophomore Maddie Wilson and her versatility as an attacker. To wrap up, Lamb talks about how Shocker coaches are using the transfer portal.

I don't believe I have heard about Sarah Barham, a transfer from Wofford previously. Looks like 6-1 MB who is either a 5th year Covid senior or grad transfer.

Looks like a solid player based on her stats at Wofford.

Sarah Barham (6) Middle Blocker - Member of the 2023 Southern Conference Tournament Championship squad that made an NCAA Tournament appearance, both of which were

​​

Comment

Best player on the best Wofford team ever. Lost in the 1st round of the NCAAs vs #2 Kentucky 17, 15, 16.

Sarah was 8-1-14 .500 with 3 BAs vs Kentucky. My guess is we find a spot for her.

Find us on social media.Twitter: https://twitter.com/WoffordTerriersInstagram: https://www.instagram.com/WoffordTerriers/Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/W...

Comment

So it sounds like the key pieces will be a fully recovered Izzi who apparently had an injured wrist that has been in a cast, Morgan Stout who still has a foot issue they are dealing with and tiptoeing around very carefully, Emerson Wolford who they plan on using as a 6 rotation player, Wofford transfer Sarah Barham, and a versatile Maddie Wilson who they have been training on the outside as well as the middle along with his foursome of littles (Gabi,. Katie, Annalie and Reagan) for which he has high expectations.

Lambo is hoping that incoming freshmen 6-1 Nadia Wasilewski and 6-0 Gracie Morrow and TCU redshirt freshman transfer will be able to provide some scoring help on the outside but that remains to be seen as to how that develops..

Lambo spoke very highly of freshman setter Sarah Musial's spring after be pushed into a very busy setting role in Izzi's absence. She probably got more out of the Spring than anyone else although I am expecting a redshirt for Sarah as long as Izzi stays healthy. Apparently, Izzi did see some action towards the end of the Spring session and looked pretty good. Lambo praised Izzie with how she handled being sidelined and how supportive and helpful she was towards Sarah.

Brooklyn Leggett maintained her kill % but dropped her error % by about half this spring. The redshirt freshmen middles 6-3 Haley Wolfe and 6-2 Allie Paulsen got quite a bit of work this spring with Morgan mostly sidelined and Maddie getting a lot of work on the outside and they both made some decent progress in their games.

Talked about the trip to Brazil coming up in May. It is a 10 day trip in which they will play 3 matches against what Lambo is hoping will be at least at the Shockers level in not a bit higher. The team will have an additional 10 days of practice prior to departing for Brazil.

Comment

It's my understanding there will be summer work, somehow. Perhaps this isn't new, but in the past there wasn't much in the team activity until early August.

I certainly could be misinformed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              It's my understanding there will be summer work, somehow. Perhaps this isn't new, but in the past there wasn't much in the team activity until early August.

I certainly could be misinformed.
              We could use it I think. Sounds like Emerson is going to be carrying quite a load on her shoulders this year. Morgan's foot is apparently fragile. If she goes down then it is Sarah and Maddie backed up by Haley and Allie in the middle. Who knows what we are going to get on the left side or on the right side for that matter. Hopefully, Emerson is up to the task.

Fortunately, Lambo doesn't have to spend much, if any, time grooming his littles.

I am actually looking forward to seeing how this team develops while at the same time trying to keep my expectations somewhat subdued.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2024, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Shocker Volleyball Announces Brazilian Exhibition Tour

The Wichita State volleyball team will embark on a 10-day exhibition tour to Brazil from May 26-June 5, head coach Chris Lamb announced Thursday.

The Shockers will play at least four matches on the tour against local Brazilian teams, in addition to hosting a youth volleyball camp and team practices. Fans can follow @GoShockersVB on X, Facebook and Instagram for updates and content throughout the duration of the trip.

"A trip like this does a lot for our team and our program," Lamb said. "We'll have the chance to play some high-level teams and spend time together off the court in a beautiful place. It's a really unique opportunity and I'm excited to see how we can grow from it and come out better on the other side."

The tour's itinerary will begin in São Paulo, with subsequent stops in Rio de Janeiro, Saquarema and Arraial do Cabo.​

This is the first foreign tour for the Wichita State volleyball program. WSU had scheduled a European trek in 2020 before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hopefully, Sarah Barham will be able to make that trip along with at least some of the incoming freshman. I suppose obtaining Passports, if not already done, could be an issue.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 2, 2024, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I'd like to spend 10 days touring Brazil
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I'd like to spend 10 days touring Brazil
                    I suspect if you write a big enough check they could find a way to take you along.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I suspect if you write a big enough check they could find a way to take you along.
                      Does it have to clear?
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Does it have to clear?
                        Not sure, but you don't want it bouncing back before take off. So timing is key.

Comment

IIRC, and WuDrWu can correct me if I am wrong, but the auctioned off two 2-fan trip packages to accompany the team on the planned 2020 trip to Italy at the Volleyball Dinner & Auction. Again going by my ever-weakening memory, I think the plan was to auction off only 1 trip package during the live auction. But the bidding was so competitive and somewhat frenzied that they ended up awarding 2 packages and my old mind comes of with a number of $17,000 per package for each of the 2 trip packages auctioned.

Unfortunately, the trip never happened and I have no idea what happened with that $34,000 although I am sure WSU offered to return the entire amount at the winning bidders' option.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest, live-auction items in the history of that event.

Comment

Sounds about right. Certainly up there in biggest item. There were some post F4 items that got out of hand though. I remember at least 1 25K package that got doubled.

Comment

Love listening to Lambo. I've been anxious to see what Maddie Wilson can do since the day she transferred. I think this will be a fun fall for volleyball, IF we can stay healthy.

The Wofford girl is really good. If we can just be consistent on the pins I think we can be good.

Comment

Got an optimistic feeling about next year.

I had wondered if one or more of the middles would play at a different position this spring. Maddie sounds like she could play any front row position equally well. Does Maddie's versatility include defense? Could she make a push to be a 6 rotation player? That would be great.

It sounds like Alyssa was recruited to TCU to only play in the front row and TCU was going in a different direction. Was hoping she was going to push to be a 6 rotation player. No matter, we have solid littles, so she doesn't need to play back row.

Emerson is set to be our 6 rotation player. I think she will do great in that role.

Swifty is most likely to be a starting middle. Who is going replace Frosty? Coach likes plays to the middles, so the potential for good numbers is there for whoever earns the starting spot.

Glad Sarah Musial was there to play setter. I'm sure it was good experience for her, even though she will probably redshirt her freshman year. Even if she wasn't there, with the changes to the setting rules, couldn't the littles practice their over head, two handed setting? I don't know, that might be asking too much. I wonder how much the rule will change the way non-setters set. For example, when a setter digs, usually the libero will take the second contact. Now will the libero be waved off for another player to do an over head set?

Sounds like Brooklyn is improving, which is great, as she has big shoes to fill.

I think we have good leadership on this team. Would like to see more attitude, more pedal to the metal, don't let up feeling from this team next season. I hope that Couch has a difficult time deciding who to start, that everyone is pushing for a starting spot.

Who is going to bring Weber's energy?

Do we have anyone with a good topspin jump serve?

Will there be any new player nicknames this year? Coach calls Annalie "Tiger", but I don't think the other players do, so I don't think that counts.

Has the AAC done anything with next year's schedule? My over/under is July 11. K-State released their schedule, both conference and non-con, a few days ago. They dropped playing one team twice each weekend. They only play Kansas, UCF, and West Virginia (I think), twice in conference play on different weekends. They play all the other teams once. Their non-con includes USC, Creighton, and Oklahoma. I wonder how the RPI of the conference will be affected with the departure of Texas. BYU should help the Big 12's RPI a bit.

I believe we are hosting the AAC post season tournament next year.

Not that it matters, but we are riding a 6 game winning streak.
                                Last edited by Critter's Pa; May 13, 2024, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X