Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at Bearkat Classic (Sam Houston State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Bearkat Classic (Sam Houston State)

The Shockers open their 2024 campaign next weekend with five games at the Bearkat Classic. On Friday, they play Stephen F Austin at 1030 am and Sam Houston State at 330 pm. They play the same two teams on Saturday, SFA at 330 pm and SHS at 6 pm. The Shockers close out the tournament on Sunday against UNLV at 1030 am. (Yes, this thread is early. I have a birthday next week and do not want to mess with the writeup then. :) )

The Ladyjacks (Lumberjacks, not Jackrabbits) of SFA are members of the WAC where they are picked fourth of the ten teams. Pitcher Brooke Gainous is a Pre-Season All-Conference pick. Last year, she had an ERA of 3.25 with a WHIP of 1.40. Lexi Benson with an OPS of .980 is the leading returning hitter.

SHS is in their first year in CUSA, moving from the WAC. They are a pick for eighth of nine teams. Hannah Schaeffer is on the Pre-Season All-Conference team. Last year, Daryn Grams, #2 on their staff, had an ERA of 3.71. No returning hitter had an OPS above .800.

UNLV is a member of the Mountain West Conference where they are picked sixth of nine teams. Ariana Martinez (OPS of 1.199 and team-leading twelve homers last year) and Maddie Schmidt (21 for 21 on SB attempts) are on the Pre-Season All-Conference team. The ERAs for the two returning pitches were 5.21 and 6.41.

The Shockers will have a different personality this year: less power and deeper (we hope) pitching. There are several questions for me. #1: How quickly will they learn to scratch out some runs playing small(er)-ball? #2: The pitching in the fall was not that great, but the staff and the new coach were still getting acquainted at that point. How quickly will we learn "who is who" on the staff? #3: Who is going to protect Addie? Any pitch she sees on the inner half is a mistake. Can she learn to drive the ball to the gap in right-center if she has to and lead the nation in triples?
    Last edited by flyingMoose; February 6, 2024, 12:57 PM.

SB Preview: Bearkat Classic (Feb. 9-11)
    Huntsville, Texas | Bearkat Softball Complex
    Feb. 9: vs. Stephen F. Austin (10:30 AM) | at Sam Houston (3:30 PM)
    Feb. 10: vs. Stephen F. Austin (3:30 PM) | at Sam Houston (6:00 PM)
    Feb. 11: vs. UNLV (10:30 AM)
    Video: No TV or Video
    Stats: Statbroadcast.com

SCOUTING STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Stephen F. Austin enters 2024 following a 30-24 campaign a season ago. They went 15-9 in WAC play and made it to the WAC semifinals before falling in extra innings, 10-9, against Seattle. Kyi'Marri Ester is the team's top returning hitter after posting a .315 average with nine doubles, a triple, 18 home runs and 43 RBI in 2023. Lexi Benson returns to the lineup as a senior after hitting .310 with nine doubles, 10 home runs and 29 RBI. In the circle, Stephen F. Austin brings back its ace in Brooke Gainous. Gainous led the team in appearances (37), innings pitched (157.1), wins (14), complete games (15), ERA (3.25) and saves (2). In 157.1 innings, Gainous only recorded 57 strikeouts.

SCOUTING SAM HOUSTON STATE
    The host of the Bearkat Classic, Sam Houston looks to improve on a 22-35 record in 2023. Like Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston is a member of the WAC. The Bearkats went 12-12 in conference play last season before falling in the first round of the WAC Championship to end their season. Sam Houston returns a bulk of its offense in 2024, including its top three hitters and leading home run hitter. Ellie Grill tied for the team lead with a .285 batting average to go with four doubles, a triple, 14 stolen bases, 31 runs scored and 16 RBI. Hannah Scheaffer also hit .285 and added six doubles, three homers and 27 RBI. Brodie Quinlan led the Bearkats in home runs (7) and RBI (30). Sam Houston must replace its top pitcher in Emma Guindon. Daryn Grams is back after making 11 starts in the circle. She tossed 102.0 innings and went 7-7 with a 3.71 ERA.

SCOUTING UNLV
    UNLV finished the 2023 campaign at 23-27 and 9-13 in the Mountain West Conference. Missouri State transfer Skyler Shaw is back for her senior season after leading the Rebels with a .411 average, but only played in 41 games. Ariana Martinez provides the pop and is the team's top run producer. Martinez led UNLV last season in hits (57), doubles (16), home runs (12) and RBI (54) to go with a .370 average. The Rebels will look to improve in the circle where they had their struggles. They finished the season with a team ERA of 5.75. Oklahoma transfer Alanna Thiede is in her final season after throwing a team-high 98.0 innings. She was 5-7 with a 5.21 ERA and 61 strikeouts. Ellie Zellien led the team in strikeouts with 69, but also racked up 68 walks in 91.2 innings. Her seven wins and 30 appearances were tops on the team.

I expect we will see a lot of different players in the lineup this weekend.

My guess regarding a Game 1 starting lineiup is:

Outfield: Bailey Urban (LF), Addison Barnard (CF), Taylor Sedlacek (RF)
    Infield: Krystin Nelson (3B), Sami Hood (SS), Avery Barnard (2B), Caroline Tallent (1B)
    Battery Mates: Lauren Howell (RHP) and Lainee Brown (C)
    Designated Player: CC Wong (DP)

My batting lineup:
    1. Avery Barnard
    2. Addison Barnard
    3. Taylor Sedlacek
    4. Lainee Brown
    5. CC Wong
    6. Caroline Tallent
    7. Sami Hood
    8. Bailey Urban
    9. Krystin Nelson

I put the chances of having nailed this at 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      SB Preview: Bearkat Classic (Feb. 9-11)

SCOUTING SAM HOUSTON STATE
      ... Like Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston is a member of the WAC.
      ... on November 5, Conference USA announced the addition of four new members to start the 2023 athletic season. These included ... from the WAC ... Sam Houston.

I rest my case. :)

But I understand. You just grabbed what was posted.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; February 7, 2024, 04:42 PM.

Comment

After listening to today's RoundHouse podcast interview of AHC Elizabeth Economon I am going to make a couple of adjustments to my first game starting lineup guess

No change to my outfield. Moved Krystin Nelson to 2B in place of Avery Barnard and inserted CC Wong at 3B. Inserted Sydney Zenon into the DP spot in place of CC Wong.

Outfield: Bailey Urban (LF), Addison Barnard (CF), Taylor Sedlacek (RF)
        Infield: CC Wong (3B), Sami Hood (SS), Krystin Nelson (2B), Caroline Tallent (1B)
        Battery Mates: Lauren Howell (RHP) and Lainee Brown (C)
        Designated Player: Sydney Zenon (DP)

My batting lineup:
        1. Addison Barnard
        2. CC Wong
        3. Taylor Sedlacek
        4. Lainee Brown
        5. Caroline Tallent
        6. Sydney Zenon
        7. Sami Hood
        8. Bailey Urban
        9. Krystin Nelson

Based in the interview with Coach E those top 3 seem pretty much locks although she said you could see Addison and CC swapping between the top 2 spots depending on matchups. The actual order of the 4 through 8 spots could vary. Coach E specifically mentioned Krystin in the 9-hole as she is good at turning it over back to the top of the lineup.

Coach E said whoever is not playing 1st will probably the DP so that implies to me that Caroline and Sydney may swap between those spots. Coach E also mentioned that Jess Garcia and Cloe Barber could be in the mix at DP and that if Chloe is pitching you might see her hitting for herself. Coach E expects Choe will get some time in the circle this weekend.

Also mentioned in the interview was that Camryn Compton is out with an injury, Did not indicate how long she might be out.

In addition to freshmen Sydney Zenon and Chloe Barber Coach E talked a little about 3 other freshmen: OF Avery Barnard who brings speed, UTL Mila Seaton who brings athleticism and C Sophie Johnson who has a really strong throwing arm.

Despite losing a very good UCF team Coach E thinks that overall the AAC will be stronger in softball with the new additions.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 8, 2024, 02:02 PM.

Comment

A note by Taylor Eldridge from the Eagle, bad grammar and all.

Comment

Game One

Stephen F Austin v Shockers

Lineup: Addison cf, CC Wong 3b, Taylor rf, Bailey lf, Lainee c, Caroline 1b, Sami ss, Sydney Zenon dp, and Krystin 2b with Lauren in the circle.

Aydenne Brown, a senior and a transfer from New Mexico State, is in the circle for the Ladyjacks. She was one of the two primary pitchers for the Aggies last year and had an ERA of 4.85 and a WHIP of 1.49.

The weather is 63, cloudy, gloomy, and calm. I like the "gloomy." :)

Lauren allows a one-out infield single but gets two groundouts to end the top of the first.

Addie leads off by striking out on three pitches. Oof!! CC and Taylor follow with walks. After Bailey grounds out, Lainee smacks a three-run homer. Yea, small ball! :) Caroline lines out to end the inning. Shocks, 3-0 after one.

Three up, three for SFA including two Ks. Lauren now has three, all swinging. Sami, Sydney, and Krystin are down in order. Still 3-0 after two.

A single and a wild pitch puts a runner in scoring position for the Ladyjacks with no outs. A walk with another wild pitch puts runners at the corners. With one out, a single plates one run, and a double scores two more. Tie game. So much for 2-0 games in the new era. Another walk - gag! Alex is on to pitch with two on and one out. She gets a strike out and a fly out. 3-3 as we go to the bottom of the third.

After Addie grounds out, CC homers to put the Shocks back in the lead. Taylor and Bailey walk on full counts, and Alexis Telford is on in relief for SFA. She was there #2 last year with numbers of 3.30 and 1.52. Strikeout, groundout. Shockers lead 4-3 after three.

A bunt single leads off the fourth for the Ladyjacks. Another single and a hit batter load the bases with no outs. After a flyout, a groundout scores a run. Another tie at 4-4 as we go to the bottom half.

With one out, SydneyZ homers to put the Shocks back in the lead. Is this the second verse of a song we just sang? Krystin is hit by a pitch. After Addie hits into a force-out, she steals second. Finally, a small-ball thing. :) CC grounds out to end the inning. 5-4 Shocks.

A four-pitch walk by Alex starts the top of the fifth. Sigh. A double follows and the lead is quickly in jeopardy. Three groundouts, the first a tag at the plate, and Alex escapes the mess. Still 5-4.

In the bottom of the inning, Taylor singles and steals second. An out later, Lainee singles her to third, and Caroline is hit by a pitch to load the bases. An error at third allows two runs to score, leaving runners at first and second. Sydney and Krystin are outs to end the inning. Shockers now lead 7-4 after five complete.

Three up, three down in the SFA sixth. Same for the Shocks in the bottom half. On to the seventh with the score still 7-4.

Strikeout, strikeout, flyout, and the Shockers open their season with a win.

SFA 4-7 Shockers

Alex gets the win with 4.2 innings of three-hit relief pitching. The long ball accounted for five of the Shocker runs - a three-run shot by Lainee and solo homers by CC and Sydney. The Shocks only had five hits (and four walks) with Lainee adding a single to her long ball for the only Shocker with more than one hit.
            L
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 9, 2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Did I miss something? Where is Lauren Lucas? Big shoes to fill in the lineup with already several big shoes to fill.

Comment

Something good to look forward to in the spring.

Anxious to see how Chloe does in the circle.

A couple of predictions just for fun:

Wong goes for 15+ ding dongs this spring (homers, not the snack cakes). I will down at least one snack cake for each homer she hits #HostessNIL

Chloe wins 15+ games in her rookie season.

Shocks win 40+

Let's get it on!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                  Did I miss something? Where is Lauren Lucas? Big shoes to fill in the lineup with already several big shoes to fill.
                  Out for the season with an injury.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Lauren is out with an injury. I don't know if she will play this year.

Comment

Lauren is out for the year. Shoulder surgery. Plans to be back next season at full strength and a certain contender for AA status.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

Lauren is out with an injury. I don't know if she will play this year.
                        Absolutely will not play this season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Something good to look forward to in the spring.

Anxious to see how Chloe does in the circle.

A couple of predictions just for fun:

Wong goes for 15+ ding dongs this spring (homers, not the snack cakes). I will down at least one snack cake for each homer she hits #HostessNIL

Chloe wins 15+ games in her rookie season.

Shocks win 40+

Let's get it on!
                          Do you think Chloe gets that many opportunities with Lauren and Alex?
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Do you think Chloe gets that many opportunities with Lauren and Alex?
                            Yes, I do.

Comment

Shockers strike. 2 walks followed by a Lainee Brown dinger to left.

I don't know if CC will get the 15 big flies that WuDrWu is predicting but she may get a big basket full of walks. That is a tough strike zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X