No announcement yet.

Shocks Host Evansville & SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect to see Feekin attack far more tonight, and that should open up the pins for Emily, Sam and Ashlyn to face more single blockers, and they need to take advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I expect to see Feekin attack far more tonight, and that should open up the pins for Emily, Sam and Ashlyn to face more single blockers, and they need to take advantage.
      And perhaps Chelsey may look for Elizabeth and Ashley in the middle a little more tonight then she did last night. Ashley in particular was fairly quiet last night. I think Ashley got all 3 of her kills in Set 3. Not sure if we were just attacking what Evansville was giving us or not last night.

Comment

Shox sweep SIU 20, 15, 22.

Fairly dominating star wise. Look forward to hearing from those that were there.

Comment

One of the smallest crowds I've seen at a Shocker Volleyball game in years. Very disappointing.

As expected, a lot more from Chelsey and Ashley. They dominated. Maybe it was the awful crowd, but the match seemed very pedestrian. WSU was never in danger. Whitehead is a handful and SIU played hard, but they were really outclassed tonight. Ashlyn was effective again and Emily was very good.

Comment

I have to agree with Doc. Very disappointing crowd. Hey, I just finished watching the entire KSU-OU game and still was able to make the Shockers match to watch the Lady Shocks handle the Salukis.

Quite an efficient offensive attack by the Lady Shocks. A team attack line of 47-8-107 = .374. Can't ask for much more than that. Heck we have had several sets this year with more than 8 attack errors.

Emily Adney was flying tonight. Her line 16-0-33 = .485. Chelsey Feekin was 8-0-11 = .727 and she had one kill that I believe they called a somewhat questionable lift on. Ashley was 7-1-15 = .400. Ashlyn came through with her 2nd consecutive strong match at 10-3-23 = .304 including a laser for match point. Sam struggled at 3-3-15, but she really wasn't needed.

The clear difference between these two teams tonight was the fire power. The Shocks were lighting up the radar gun on most of their kills.

However, the stat the really put a smile on my face was 1 service error and 4 aces for the Shocks. 1 service error. Where did that come from.

Jackie led the way with 15 digs, Emily chipped in 12 and Kelsey 8. The Shocks had only 2 service reception errors.

I don't know that this SIU team has any more talent than past teams but I do think their new coach has them better organized and playing better. Also, SIU has good leadership with 4 pretty solid seniors.

Very nice job by the Lady Shockers tonight. Unfortunatley, the same can't be said for Shocker fandom.

Comment

BTW, about the only suspense in this match was very early on in Set 1 as SIU jumped out to a 6-1 lead (mostly self-inflicted by the Shocks). I was thinking, SIU doesn't really look all that impressive but maybe they have something intangible going. However, it didn't take the Shocks long to erase that lead and coast to the win.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Chelsey ... had one kill that I believe they called a somewhat questionable lift on.
                I think they called her for a tomahawk dunk. :) But, yeah, I kind of wondered myself.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The clear difference between these two teams tonight was the fire power.
                That and winning the serve-receive game big time. We were in-system *a lot* and they were far, far less so.

Comment

Adney

I have to wonder if after SIU's coaches watched what Ashlyn Driskill did against Evansville on Fri night if they then knew they had to pay more attention to her and that kept them from concentrating their defense on Adney as much, too. Lambo likes to play Driskill on the left side where Adney is. He likes Sanders on the right side. After the game, he said something about the fact they didn't get Sanders or Field into the game as much as they'd like. It looks to me like WSU really has a lot of offensive options to go this year. And, their serve and passing off the back row looks very good, too. This was a big concern of Lambo's early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    I think they called her for a tomahawk dunk. :) But, yeah, I kind of wondered myself.

That and winning the serve-receive game big time. We were in-system *a lot* and they were far, far less so.
                    Good point, and of course the result of getting a lot of high-quality swings. Lambo did have high praise for his littles tonight which they deserved and which has not be very abundant previously this year.

Comment

While it exciting to see the new girls on the floor playing at such a high level early, let's not overlook the workhorses on the court that make it possible for the front line to shine. Feekin has been great at the net not only setting but blocking and attacking as well. But take a look at her backrow stats, she is 3rd in digs behind Church and Adney. She is also second on the team behind Church and Adney (tied) for service aces. Adney leads the team in serve recieves with Jackie a close second. Feekin, Church and Adney lead the team in attempted serves meaning that when they are serving the team is able to win more points. Basically these are the girls that are the workhorses on the team and much of what is behind this teams success.

Comment

^^^
                        :yahoo:
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

On occasion, I go to the MVCfans site and discover why I have never joined that site.

Last night, after the volleyball match, I decided to stroll around campus while the traffic jam sorted itself out. When I got back after a pleasant stroll on a nice evening, I drove off with no difficulty. This morning, the MVCfans site had a really dumb thread supposedly started by a Shocker fan: http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2388 I guess I was taking my life in my hands last night, being near the "ghetto." :banghead:

It seems that CBB_Fan has never been in another big city because many visitors from such cities laugh when they see our "ghetto".
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Volleyballfan View Post
                            While it exciting to see the new girls on the floor playing at such a high level early, let's not overlook the workhorses on the court that make it possible for the front line to shine. Feekin has been great at the net not only setting but blocking and attacking as well. But take a look at her backrow stats, she is 3rd in digs behind Church and Adney. She is also second on the team behind Church and Adney (tied) for service aces. Adney leads the team in serve recieves with Jackie a close second. Feekin, Church and Adney lead the team in attempted serves meaning that when they are serving the team is able to win more points. Basically these are the girls that are the workhorses on the team and much of what is behind this teams success.
                            No doubt, and no surprise that 3 girls with a combined 13 years in the program are shouldering most of the responsibility and burden.

Personally, I have expected Feekin to challenge for POY since day 1. She's done little to change that expectation so far in my eyes.

Megan Bober is the only setter I've seen that's even close to Feekin and I still think Chelsey is better. Time will tell though.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              No doubt, and no surprise that 3 girls with a combined 13 years in the program are shouldering most of the responsibility and burden.

Personally, I have expected Feekin to challenge for POY since day 1. She's done little to change that expectation so far in my eyes.

Megan Bober is the only setter I've seen that's even close to Feekin and I still think Chelsey is better. Time will tell though.
                              If, and that's a big IF at this stage of the season, it comes down to Bober and Feekin for POY whichever player's team finishes higher in the standings will probably by selected for that award.

Comment

Creighton is RV (33rd) in this week's AVCA poll, the only Valley team to make that poll.

The Rick Kern poll has Northern Iowa at 34 (Pablo of 50) and Creighton at 38 (Pablo of 16).

@JayJ79: or someone else will have to tell us if any other Valley teams are in the top 60 of Pablo. It is, however, a little early for Pablo to give a true feel for where teams might fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X