19 (23) 16 (14) 10

West

Rice 2-3 North Texas !! again
    22 (23) 16 (21) 7

SMU 3-0 Tulane (Sun)
    25 10 18

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      This is a rule I actually knew! It never occurred to me because, although Annalie starts in the middle of the cheerleaders, I never had the impression she started outside the court extended.
      On this particular serve she started to her left of the the cheerleaders who where sitting in a line near the south end of the arena floor. So it was the cheerleaders' fault. I think it is okay to start outdside the service zone but you have to have been grounded in the service zone prior to strikig the ball.. She probably left the floor just outside that extended line hit her serve then landed in the zone. Considering it was seemignly very close and that line is only imaginary is probably what contributed to the confusion from everyone. Although you would think it would be easy for the official to explain but that wasn't the case which makes one wonder if the rule was not generally well known. No doubt quite a rare call but in the case probably, I think, a good call by the up ref.

This is about the best visual I can find. The cheerleaders sit behind the dashed lines a couple of feet back from the 'Wichita State' decals along the basketball baseline. There was a male chearleader sitting between the first and second dashes to the servers left of the E. Annalie was starting on the 3rd dash to servers left. The 2nd and 3rd dashes are not in the picture above. When she left the ground to start her serve her left foot was still about a foot outiside the E.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2023, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Well, at least we got this figured out before next season started. :) And I bet Annalie has been instructed to tell the cheerleader to move if she has to.

Comment

On this particular serve she started to her left of the the cheerleaders who where sitting in a line near the south end of the arena floor. So it was the cheerleaders' fault.
          I was thinking the same thing. I think there were a couple more cheerleaders than usual, so they were sitting farther to the left side. Annalie was just lining up where she normally does, at the end of the cheerleaders.

I'm sure I have heard of this rule before, but didn't think much about it. Kind of like the rule you can't block/spike a serve. I don't think about it during a game, and I have never seen it called.

Although you would think it would be easy for the official to explain but that wasn't the case which makes one wonder if the rule was not generally well known.
          And like the rule about blocking a serve, I would think this rule would be known to all the players, or the players would remember this rule if it was mentioned/called, and there would be NO confusion over this. Yet, there was confusion. I blame the up ref with all the confusion. It seemed like Lamb was checking with the down ref to be sure the Shockers were not out of rotation for serve receive. I wonder if coach will mention this on the radio show.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X