Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host North Texas (Fri, Nov 3rd and Sat, Nov 4th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host North Texas (Fri, Nov 3rd and Sat, Nov 4th)

WICHITA STATE (16-6, 10-2 American)

Friday, Nov. 3 (7:00 p.m. CT) vs. North Texas (14-11, 8-4 American)
    Wichita, Kansas (Charles Koch Arena)
    Live Stats // Watch

Saturday, Nov. 4 (2:00 p.m. CT) vs. North Texas (14-11, 8-4 American)
    Wichita, Kansas (Charles Koch Arena)
    Live Stats // Watch

SCOUTING THE MEAN GREEN:
    • North Texas brings an overall record of 14-11 into The Roundhouse, including an 8-4 mark in American Athletic Conference play. The Mean Green have won three straight matches, all against teams from the East Division (South Florida, Temple, Charlotte).
    • The Mean Green share two common non-conference opponents with the Shockers. North Texas was swept at Colorado and defeated Texas Tech at home in five.
    • The Mean Green boast one of the conference's most active middle blockers in junior Truly Levy, who is a bit undersized at 5-10 bit apparently makes up for that with her athleticism. Levy ranks second in the AAC with 99 total blocks and third with a .361 hitting percentage.
    • Texas A&M transfer Treyaunna Rush paces the Mean Green attack, averaging 2.82 kills per set. McNeese transfer Aryn Johnson also provides firepower on the outside, checking in with 2.33 kills per set.

Shocks look like they will have a size advantage vs North Texas but I am expecting a quick, athletic team from the Mean Green.

I am a little concerned with the mental state of this Shocker team at this point. Also, if Brylee continues to be unable to play or is not at full strength if she does play, the Shocks have a big hole to fill at the L2 position. So far Emerson has filled in at the L1 nicely, but we simply have not gotten much at all at the L2 since Brylee returned to the sidelines.

The Shocks' only chance at an NCAA invite is to win out and even then they are at best on the bubble.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 3, 2023, 09:36 AM.

77%

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I am a little concerned with the mental state of this Shocker team at this point.
      Interesting that you bring this up. There was a brief point in the FAU match where HCCL was as upset as I've ever seen him. I think it was with the officials, but it easily could have been something else. It was more than unusual. But more telling was a comment he made on the coaches show about some bench dust up during the match when effort and execution were being questioned by some players. He even said it doesn't happen often and he wondered what the reaction would be. He also intimated that some people were going to be challenged this week prior to the match.

I too am interested in how the team responds tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        But more telling was a comment he made on the coaches show about some bench dust up during the match when effort and execution were being questioned by some players. He even said it doesn't happen often and he wondered what the reaction would be. He also intimated that some people were going to be challenged this week prior to the match.

I too am interested in how the team responds tonight.
        Sounds like there are some really competitive people on the team, which is not a bad thing. I'm hoping it will elevate play.

I think Lamb also mentioned that Izzi was reminding the team about how they are getting everyone's best shot.

Wonder if Brylee is going to start/play tonight.

Comment

Shocks not looking very good tonight at all. I guess give North Texas some credit. They look like they want it more.

Shocks better find another gear midway through set 3.

The Shocks pull a rabbit out of their hat and despite their best effort to lose set they somehow prevail 25-23.

They need to quit screwing around take care of business.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 3, 2023, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Pulled that out in 4 "tough" sets.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Pulled that out in 4 "tough" sets.
              And never felt comfortable.

Comment

Other Thursday/Friday Matches

East

Temple 2-3 USF (Thu)
                (20) 27 18 (21) 5

Temple 0-3 USF
                21 20 24

Memphis 1-3 FAU
                12 21 (19) 20

UAB 2-3 Charlotte
                (20) (25) 20 17 12

West

Rice 3-1 Tulane
                20 (12) 18 14

UTSA 3-1 Tulsa
                11 (25) 15 14

Interdivisional

East Carolina 0-3 SMU
                20 24 22

Comment

Nice W.

Comment

Shockers got some needed offense from Barbara and MorganW in the third and fourth sets. Some of it was in really key situations - make-or-break situations.

But the Shockers got out-blocked badly. - 5 to 12. They did win the service game -3 to -9. UNT's service philosophy was hard and flat and gave the Shockers problems at times.

Comment

Katie Galligan. Giver her the golden shovel for that dig from nowhere. She needs a cape. She didn't serve, but she lead the team in digs with 11.

First set was all Shockers. And by "all Shockers," I mean lots of North Texas errors- 9 attacking and 5 service errors. Shockers managed only 8 kills. Izzi had 5 assists. Swifty got her second ace of the year. Brylee didn't start, but made it on the court early in the first set. Sophia hit .750 (3 0 4). Brylee was also errorless hitting .500 on 2 kills off 4 attempts. Emerson was .000 (2 2 10) and Frosty was .000 (1 1 3). Both teams had 3 blocks. Shockers hit .192 (9 4 26) to NT's .094 (12 9 32)

Second set was forgettable. Shockers couldn't catch a break, seemed like the ball never bounced their way. Five of those bad bounces were blocks on the Shockers. I think Natalie got blocked back-to-back at one point. WSU had no blocks. It wasn't looking good. Individual numbers improved. Frosty had 6 kills on 10 swings with 2 errors. Sophia added 5 kills on 8 swings with 1 error. Swifty had 3 kills on 4 swings. Brylee added 3 kills and 2 errors on 9 attempts. Gabi got the only Shocker Ace this set. Izzi got 12 assists. Shockers hit .195 (17 9 41) to Nt's .303 (13 3 33).

Third set was ugly in the Shockers' favor. Ba made her first appearance in place of Emerson. The Shockers started off in a hole. An NT run took their lead from 9-6 to 13-6. The shockers fought back to 1 point at 20-19, then NT went on a 3 point run 23-19 and it looked bleak. After a side out on a Frosty kill. Izzi stepped up and served the last five points- a Sophia Frosty block, 2 Webby kills and 2 NT errors. Team stats were a bit more even. Shockers hit .205 (14 6 39) to NT's .158 (14 8 38)

Fourth set was like the third set, just with more points scored. Shockers hit .381 (21 5 42) to NT's .400 (17 3 35). So glad it didn't go five.

Sophia lead the way with 18 kills (18 4 31 .452) with 1 ace, 1 solo, and 2 block assists. Natalie had 15 kills (15 3 26 .462) with 2 BA. Swifty had 8 kills (8 0 18 .444) with 2 BA. Ba got 6 kills (6 2 12 .333). Brylee also got 6 kills (6 6 25 .000) and 1 BA. Webby had 4 kills (4 1 10 .300). Emmerson got 2 kills (2 4 18 -.111) and 1 BA. Izzi added 2 kills (2 3 6 -.167) with 47 assists.

Gotta clean it up tomorrow. We had many decent passes but couldn't get kills. We had trouble with serve receive. We had trouble with their block. Hope that was their best and they won't be as good and we will play better tomorrow.

Attendance was 1687.

Comment

Interdivisional

East Carolina 0-3 SMU
                        20 24 22

West 17-9 East and 62-31 in sets

Comment

Won't be able to make today's match. Hopefully, Lambo can figure out a way to even up the blocking. NT just dominated the Shocks at the net with much smaller but superior athletes. May be hard to overcome that.

It's anyone's guess what the Shocks will get out of the left side. The Shocks have 4 players, Brylee, Emerson, Ba and Webby that have rotated on the left side this season, but with a total lack of consistency. You just have know idea what you can expect from this group.

Frosty and Swifty in the middle and Sophia on the right OTOH have been consistently googd to excellent most of the season.

NT also kept the Shocks off balance with very aggressive serving. Something the Shocks do not seen to have in their quiver.

I thought the Shocks were very fortunate to escape with a win on Friday. I think they will need to play better today to get the avoid a split if the 2 NT matches.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It's anyone's guess what the Shocks will get out of the left side. The Shocks have 4 players, Brylee, Emerson, Ba and Webby that have rotated on the left side this season, but with a total lack of consistency. You just have know idea what you can expect from this group.
                            Our own "Box of Chocolates" so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Our own "Box of Chocolates" so to speak.
                              Well put.

Comment

Working...
                              X