Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volleyball Hosts Temple (Oct 6) and USF (Oct 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks win 25-16 in set 2 to go up 2-0.

USF still passing very well and started the set with back-to-back service aces.

But USF can't overcome the Shocks blocking game and defense.

Comment

Shocks get the sweep with a 25-21 win in Set 3.

Shocks not quite as strong at the net in that game but overall played pretty well.

I expect USF will challenge for the top spot in East Division.

Haven't looked at any stats yet but I can report that Katie made her first service error on the season. She made up for that by doubling her season total for aces from 2 to 4.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 8, 2023, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

This score was a bit of a surprise to me. Tulsa was very competitive in both matches against Rice in Tulsa and was coming off of a sweep of North Texas in Denton in 2 competitive matches.

Do know how Pablo had this match handicapped?
        Tulsa 72%

I have plans to "bin" the conference matches. Because the sample size is so small, the bins will probably be 50-60%, 60-70%, etc.

Someone earlier asked about Pablo and the Shocker results. I thought I may as well use the entire conference schedule for all teams, again a sample size consideration. I need to get on that. :)

Last edited by flyingMoose; October 8, 2023, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Other Matches - all Interdivisional - Sunday

East Carolina 3-1 North Texas
          21, (16), 24, 22

Florida Atlantic 1-3 SMU
          26, 21, (23), 19

Charlotte 1-3 Rice
          19, 20, (19), 17

UTSA 2-3 Temple
          23, (18), (28), 24, 6

UAB 0-3 Tulsa
          23, 21, 17

Memphis 3-1 Tulane
          21, 21, (14), 26

West 15-8 East and 54-27 in sets
          Last edited by flyingMoose; October 8, 2023, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Per Pablo, both matches have the Shockers near 84%.
            That was probably okay for Temple but too high for the USF match.

Comment

At this point ECU, USF and FAU seem to be the top teams in the East. The Shocks have 2 of those behind them.

Surprised to see Charlotte take a set from Rice.

Comment

At this point, ECU, USF, and FAU seem to be the top teams in the East. The Shocks have 2 of those behind them.
                Shockers are at FAU on 27 October. In another matchup of interest, SMU hosts Rice beginning on 20 October.

Comment

After watching the Temple match this afternoon I do have a question about Izzi. Izzi's freshman season at UC San Diego was cancelled due to Covid. She played that past two seasons at UC San Diego with this season at WSU being her 3rd season. So she should have one more season of eligibiity remaining if she choses to use it.

Mike Kennedy mentioned a couple times during his ESPN+ broadcast that this would be Izzi's one and only year at Wichita State. So has Izzi already decided this is her last year playing collegiately, or has she already decided to do a grad transfer (assuming she gets her degree), or is Mike mistaken?

That is strange. I'm certain that Lamb had mentioned that Izzi had two years of eligibility left on the coach's radio show. ...Or it might have been in a Round House article/podcast. I'm guessing Mike just forgot.

Comment

That was probably okay for Temple but too high for the USF match.
                    You have to remember that the percentages are if the teams played the match 100 times. When you pick just one match out of that 100, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

That is strange. I'm certain that Lamb had mentioned that Izzi had two years of eligibility left on the coach's radio show. ...Or it might have been in a Round House article/podcast. I'm guessing Mike just forgot.
                      Just wathed a replay today with Mike Kenney repeating the statement that this is Izzi's only season as a Shocker.

Comment

Just wathed a replay today with Mike Kenney repeating the statement that this is Izzi's only season as a Shocker.

Like you pointed out before, and I'm pretty sure you are correct, she has two years of eligibility left. Maybe she only has one year left, but I'm pretty sure I have heard or read, from people that should know, that she has two years left.

Maybe she is going to get a degree in the next two semesters and has something lined up for next year, so she is not going to play another year. Maybe she is planning to transfer to another school for her final year, could be to get closer to home or be at the same school as a significant other or best friend or relative. I thought there were limits to the number of times one can transfer without a waiver, but I have not heard of it being enforced or waivers are easily obtained.

It doesn't seem like she doesn't like it at WSU, so I don't think that is reason for her to want to play for only one year. I have nothing to base this off of other than her interactions with the team during matches and they all seem positive. I may be totally wrong on this.

Whatever the reason, if she is only going to play one of her two years of eligibility at WSU, it's good that Lamb knows so he focus on setters for next season. I assume that if Mike knows, Lamb knows.

Maybe he will mention it tonight on the radio show.

Comment

At a recent event, I was told she's here 2 years by someone I trust.

It's 2023 and as much as we want consistency as fans, it's just not happening. So I will assume she's here for 2 until she's not. I hope she is because she's really good and just starting to get settled in and comfortable with the system, but if not, I won't be surprised. It's college athletics today.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X