Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker Volleyball @ SMU (Sep 29 & Oct 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Fantastic win!
    Getting it done today on a national broadcast was nice icing on the cake.

Comment

It was great to watch on ESPNU. I thought the production and announcers were good.

Comment

So was match point off the block or of the noggin?

Comment

BTW, the Shocks came back from a 14-20 deficit in the 4th set to pull out the win.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            BTW, the Shocks came back from a 14-20 deficit in the 4th set to pull out the win.
            Shocks like big come from behind wins on that floor!
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

The ride home just got better. Should have won the third set. Glad the Shocks pulled themselves out of a hole to win set 4.

Annalie had a run serving 6 straight points then committing a service error. Don't know if it was her serving or it was the rotations the teams were in or if it was something else that contributed to the long run that they really needed.

The same could be said about Katie serving. I think she had 5 service runs that were at least 3 point scoring runs. Her longest run of 6 points, came at the beginning of the first set and included her ace. I would guess that the Shockers were in a better, or more advantageous, rotation during these smaller runs.

MorganS had 8 block assists. Brylee had 6 block assists. Glad she is back out there, seemed like she played a pretty good game.

From watching the twitter, or X, clips, MorganS looked fired up.

The split was good. I wish this was the team that showed up on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                Annalie had a run serving 6 straight points then committing a service error. Don't know if it was her serving or it was the rotations the teams were in or if it was something else that contributed to the long run that they really needed.

The same could be said about Katie serving. I think she had 5 service runs that were at least 3 point scoring runs. Her longest run of 6 points, came at the beginning of the first set and included her ace. I would guess that the Shockers were in a better, or more advantageous, rotation during these smaller runs.
                I was unable to watch the match so hard to judge how tough the Shocks were serving or whether they were perhaps focusing more on just putting the ball in play. With only 4 service errors the latter seems most likely although it's possible to serve tough with a level of errors although that is not something the Shocks have been prone to do this season.

Nevertheless, looking at Annalie's and Katie's serving numbers is interesting.

Annalie had 8 service rotations in the match. On 5 of the she was 1 meaning the Shocks did not win any of those 5 points. On her other 3 service runs she served a total of 13 times with the Shocks winning 11 of those 13 points, including a 4-0 run to close out the 1st set and the big 6-1 run in set 4 where the Shocks rallied from down 15-20 to take a 21-21 lead before Annalie lost her serve. So overall it was Shocks 11 - SMU 7 with Annalie on the service line. Annalie had 1 ace and 2 service errors in 18 serves.

Katie, who did not play much earlier in the season but is starting find the court more frequently lately, was even better. She had 9 service rotations in the match. She had zero, zilch, nada, no 1 and done service rotations. That in and of itself I would think is pretty rare. Overall, Katie served 27 times with the Shocks winning 18 of those 27 points. Katie had 1 ace and no errors in 27 serves.

So, as C-Pa point out it's hard to say if it was their serving, the rotations of the teams or something else that caused this but the fact is the Shocks were quite successful. Generally, facing a team like SMU you might expect to win 35% of your serves as a team. The Shocks won 64.4% of the points with Annalie and Katie serving. Most likely the rotations on both sides of the net when Annalie and Katie were serving were a big factor. Nevertheless, Annalie and Katie still had to make the serves count and that they did.

The bottom line was the Shocks outscored SMU by 15 points in the match. 13 of those points came with Katie and Annalie serving I probably would need video to tell who was on the court in those rotations. Just checked and the replay is, in fact, available on ESPN+ so I can watch the match.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 1, 2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

On his radio show on Monday Mike Kennedy asked Lambo what he had learned about his team. He said they showed that they have a very high ceiling but also a pretty low floor.

I took it that the construction challenge will be to maintain the ceiling and raise the floor.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 3, 2023, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Rice 5-0 1.000 11-4 .733 7-2 3-2 1-0 W7
                    South Florida 4-1 .800 10-6 .625 5-3 2-2 3-1 W2
                    SMU 4-1 .800 10-6 .625 6-1 3-2 1-3 L1
                    Wichita State 3-1 .750 9-5 .643 1-2 4-2 4-1 W1
                    East Carolina 3-2 .600 12-4 .750 3-3 4-1 5-0 L1
                    Tulsa 3-2 .600 10-6 .625 3-2 3-3 4-1 W2
                    North Texas 3-2 .600 9-9 .500 3-3 2-4 4-2 L2
                    Temple 2-2 .500 11-4 .733 6-2 2-2 3-0 W1
                    Charlotte 2-2 .500 9-7 .562 5-1 1-4 3-2 W2
                    Florida Atlantic 2-3 .400 10-8 .556 6-2 2-4 2-2 W1
                    UTSA 1-4 .200 8-8 .500 4-4 2-3 2-1 L4
                    Memphis 1-4 .200 5-12 .294 4-4 0-5 1-3 L2
                    Tulane 0-4 .000 4-12 .250 1-7 0-3 3-2 L7
                    UAB 0-5 .000 2-15 .118 1-7 0-6 1-2 L11

In 4th place in the conference. Only a win out of a tie for second place. WSU, Tulane, Temple and Charlotte have played one conference game less than everyone else because of the schedule. It will even out as the weeks go by. South Florida's loss was to Memphis.

I believe this week all the teams are playing two intra division matches. Tulane, winless against the east division, plays at East Carolina and at Memphis this weekend.

Comment

Here are the standings broken down by division:

UTSA is 1-4 in AAC play but there 4 AAC losses have been against SMU and Rice with the win coming over Charlotte.

After we play Temple and USF this weekend we may very well be done with the best the East has to offer.

However, the West is, with perhaps the exception of Tulane, loaded with land mines.

Comment

Swifty Morgan strikes again.

Ef·fort
                        /ˈefərt/

noun
                        • 1.a vigorous or determined attempt:

I think this qualifies under that definition.

Comment

Morgan's hustle video made the NCAA Women's Volleyball X page:

Comment

Working...
                          X