Volleyball Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball Recruiting

I have learned, or maybe more accurately deduced, over the last few years that volleyball recruiting is much different than basketball.

For one, information is darned near impossible to get from the usual channels unless the person in question is a top 50 recruit in the country.

That being said, I am going to attempt, from time to time, to name players that may have interest in WSU, or area players that are actively seeking D1 offers. Since info is likely to be sparse, I see no need to start new threads unless and until there is widely known mutual interest.

Former Wichita State basketball player Eric Kuhn has a daughter at Kapaun that is going to garner a lot of attention. Sydney Kuhn is both a volleyball and basketball star so I am not even sure what sport she prefers or is better at, but I know she's good at volleyball. I have no idea who is recruiting her but Lambo has done well with area talent so I assume he is aware. She will be a junior this fall. I saw her by chance one time this last season while watching a family friends daughter play. She is impressive.

Comment

Moving this post I made this past April over from the Volleyball 2012 Spring Schedule thread:

I am assuming that in next year's recruiting class Lambo and staff will be looking for the next outstanding setter to follow in the footsteps of Chelsey after she finishes up her career next year. That young lady may very well have been in the house Saturday (April 28). Emily Hiebert, a 5'11" junior from Newton, Kansas was in the house. Her and her parents were sitting near me and prior to the start of the (KU) scrimmage Shocker assistant coach Jeff Sanders was talking with her and her parents. I ask Emily is she was a volleyball player and she said yes. She told me she was from Newton and that she was a setter.

According to this link Emily plans on signing with Wichita State. http://www.varsitykansas.com/2011/11...olleyball.html

IIRC, former Shocker setter Abby Harsh was also from Newton.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

WSU team camp going on this week, great place to see some of the area top teams and players. Last day is today and will probaly head out to watch this afternoon, believe it goes from 9-3. Carroll,VC, Rose Hill, Maize South and Newton seem to be the best teams there, The only KMC I have seen appears to be the JV. What we have heard....
        Heibert has committed to WSU.
        Kuhn (KMC) has rumored offer from KSU and I would think WSU. Supposedly leaning to the vb side.
        Shelton, a libero from Valley Center has been offered by WSU.
        Larson from Maize South has committed to Oklahoma- her and Heibert play club ball together, to bad we couldn't have kept that combo together. They are fun to watch.
        There are a few others that have been offered walk-ons positions but I can't name without confirmation.

Comment

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012
          By Joanna Chadwick

Kansas State (women's basketball) has been watching Maize sophomores Keiryn Swenson and Daley Handy all summer, and today the Wildcats offered them scholarships.

Creighton and Missouri State have offered Swenson, along with Wichita State volleyball.

Comment

Gabi Mostrom ‏@Flabi_Gabi
            So blessed God has given me the opportunity to play at Wichita State!!! Can't wait to join my sister

A quick Google search revelas her to be 5'8" and in the class of '14. So she's just a junior this season. Primary position is libero, secondary position is setter.

Comment

Dani sounds like a great person: "Named a Top 10 Student...Hall of Fame inductee for citizenship...Named academic all-conference...Earned an honor diploma...Earned a scholastic letter in seven semesters...Earned the Seal of Excellence for art, health and physical education, science and mathematics." http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...&Q_SEASON=2012

Gabi is probably another wonderful person.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

It would appear they look up to a wonderful leader as inspiration. A 3rd Mostrom, Jacque, would appear to be a Fr this year as well, if the 2 sides are interested.

According to MaxPreps, Gabi had outstanding serving numbers, leading the team in aces.

Comment

Sat with the Mostrom family at VB101 dinner. Very impressive family and sharp, very well-mannered kids. Met Dani, Gabby and Jacque as will as their brother who has his sights set on playing baseball for the Shocks. Let's hope all their dreams and goals come true.

Comment

Looks like the youngest sister has followed suit:

Jacqui Mostrom
                    ‏@JacquiMostrom

Verbally committed to Wichita State one week ago! I'm so glad I have this opportunity and a chance to play with BOTH of my sisters!

https://twitter.com/JacquiMostrom/st...09500137041920

Comment

I actually find that somewhat humorous.....the young lady is in her 2nd week of high school. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled her entire family is that committed to WSU, and it just goes to show what a great program the Lambs have built here, but that's a long 4 years, for everyone. Nevertheless, good people, good program.

There were several recruits in this weekend, including Tonganoxie star Jenny Whitledge.

Comment

Do the work......

PrepVolleyball lists Alyssa in their Frosh 59 and Soph 79 lists. She is entering her Junior year. Although a Libero, girls on this list are special players, 9 times out of ten. It appears to me Lambo is taking a nice step forward in recruiting, yet again. There is a LOT of talent in and entering this program.

It is a great day.......
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; September 5, 2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I don't know when VB recruits can make their visits but I hope we had a few in the house for the great Labor Day Weekend tournament Lambo put together.

Comment

We probably had several (I knew of 2)....there are probably lots of reasons, but it seems that a larger % of student athletes associated with volleyball come from more affluent backgrounds than compared to basketball (for instance). I've noticed a large number of families take unofficial visits during their high school careers. As to the limitations, I don't know when or the numbers.

Comment

Well Jacqui Mostrom will no doubt make many unofficial visits over the next fours years as her family will probably make a good number of matches. We also have a number of area kids that can easily make about every match if the want to and have the resources (which doesn't take a whole lot).

Comment

Working...
                              X