20/23 Shocker SB v Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20/23 Shocker SB v Houston

The Shockers continue their AAC schedule this weekend, hosting a series against Houston. Games are on Friday (6 pm), Saturday (2 pm), and Sunday (noon).

Houston have a record of 18-19 and 5-1 in the conference. They have played series against Memphis and East Carolina, losing one game to ECU.

The leading hitters for the Cougars are Turlya Coleman (OPS of 1.242 with a team-leading eight home runs) and Bree Cantu (1.024 and seven home runs). Nobody else is above .900.

Kenna Wilkey has over half of the innings for Houston. Her ERA is 2.39 with a WHIP of 1.14. The other two primary pitchers are Taylor Edwards (4.06 and 1.87) and Hannah Blincoe (5.97 and 1.91).

Shocker pitching stats in IP order are now Lo (2.38 and 1.08), Alison (3.11 and 1.54), and Alex (1.53 and 1.00). Alex and her screwball are moving up the charts. In fact, she has the most innings (by not much) and best numbers in conference-only play.

The Fab Five continue to lead the hitting, all with an OPS above 1.000. Sydney is at 1.405. Addison and Zoe have twelve homers while Lolo has nine.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 13, 2023, 10:10 AM.

That explains the tweet I saw about us hosting the next best team in the conference standings. They may be capable of posing a threat if we take them too lightly, but Memphis and ECU aren't the strongest way to start conference play.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Wilkey has pretty good numbers in the circle. I expect to see her in Games 1 and 3. Shocks will need to be focused and ready to go.

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance of the Shocker pitching staff this season, especially the freshman Alex.

I think we probably see Lauren, Alison and Alex in that order in this series.

Also, after a really slow start I have been pleased with the back half of the batting order providing some decent production.

Not expecting any run rules in this series.

#21/#20 Baylor swept Houston 3 weeks ago in Waco by scores of 7-1, 8-5 and 3-0. I would be extremely pleased with a similar result.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        #21/#20 Baylor swept Houston 3 weeks ago in Waco by scores of 7-1, 8-5, and 3-0. I would be extremely pleased with a similar result.
        Good point. I read it and then did not use it. :(

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Wichita State At Home This Weekend In Crucial AAC Series

Wichita State is No. 24 in the NCAA's power ranking, which is an indication of a great season and a precarious position.

The Shockers are in such good shape for an at-large NCAA bid they are focused on hosting one of 16 regionals for the first time. The American Athletic Conference regular-season title is included in that path.

Neither of those goals offers much room for error. Every win helps, some more than others, and losses are painful.

"For our kids, it's continuing to climb and understanding that we're playing for something a little bit more now," coach Kristi Bredbenner said. "They see their hard work is paying off and they're competing at a high level. The challenge is just continuing to be consistent."

The 20th-ranked Shockers (34-7, 8-1 American Athletic Conference) are tied in the loss column with Houston (18-19, 5-1) atop the American standings. The teams meet this weekend at Wilkins Stadium, beginning Friday (6 p.m.).

"This year, there's that new goal because we haven't been able to host before," shortstop Sydney McKinney said. "We haven't been in the talk about it before. That really gets us pumped up, the fact we can, my senior year, be here for regionals."

Part of that quest is maintaining a strong RPI to avoid a repeat of 2021, when the Shockers were sent to No. 1 Oklahoma's regional. They defeated Texas A&M twice and became the national symbol for unfair seeding. Even if the Shockers don't host, they want to finish strong in hopes of traveling to a regional not at the home field of softball's dominant power.

With a No. 24 RPI, the Shockers can't afford setbacks during their final 12 regular-season games if they want to host. Houston, at No. 96, is the highest-ranked conference opponent remaining. A sweep at No. 237 Memphis dropped Wichita State seven spots.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

If the season ended today, I'd say 99% chance we're headed to Fayetteville. Arkansas is likely seeded in the 10-12 range and I think the Shockers are just on the outside looking in right now. Likely can't afford to drop a game against Houston, ECU, or Tulsa these next three weekends if we want to host.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
              If the season ended today, I'd say 99% chance we're headed to Fayetteville. Arkansas is likely seeded in the 10-12 range and I think the Shockers are just on the outside looking in right now. Likely can't afford to drop a game against Houston, ECU, or Tulsa these next three weekends if we want to host.
              Also need to beat Kansas. A win in Oklahoma wouldn't suck, but those are both going to be extremely tough and won't hurt us if we don't win.

I'm going to assume to with the AAC tournament, we'll only get to play one of UCF and USF as I'd expect them to end up 2 and 3. So really only one more chance in conference for a decent win.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I guess it depend on how you define "decent" but a sweep against Houston would definitely be decent in my books. Maybe not really good wins, but certainly decent.

The big problem with only having decent to somewhere less than decent opponents remaining in the non-con is that you have zero room for error. Any loss would be quite damaging to the goal of hosting, which may be a long shot anyway.

Comment

Nice little rain shower rolled through between 4 and 5 pm. I assume we are still on for a 6 pm start vs Houston as long as the infield was covered. Which I'm sure it probably was. The future radar I have shows a possibility of more ran at around 8:45. So time to get this game in and the tarp back on the field if they get started on time.

Comment

I spoke to soon. Looks like we are looking at at least a 30 minute delay.

Comment

Zoe is still out
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Looking forward to this tilt. Great temps but this is gonna be an airport tonight. Glad I parked south of Wilkins!

Comment

Interesting to see the freshman starting in the circle. But I think Alex has earned it. Let's she how she responds.

Comment

Who’s calling the shots here? Culprit storm is near Emporia by now. 30 minute hard delay is ridiculous.

Comment

I was hoping we’d see Zoe back in the lineup.

Comment

Working...
                              X