22/25 Shocker SB v 2/2 Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Unsure, you and Moose are the experts. Have we ever beat a Top 5 team?
    I seriously doubt it. The Shocker site will surely inform us if otherwise. :)

The only chances are really (consistently) OU and (more recently) Oklahoma State and Arkansas. Sometimes we go somewhere like Texas to play in their tournaments, but those chances are not often. We have played LSU and Stanford on their Senior Trips.

Stanford is 7/7 and Arkansas is 8/9 in the Polls.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 4, 2023, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Great win gals.

Hopefully the new facilities can keep the momentum of this program rolling.
      The Assman

Comment

Shocker Twitter says its the highest ranked ein in program history
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
          Great win gals.

Hopefully the new facilities can keep the momentum of this program rolling.
          Hopefully a win like this can generate a few more decent sized donations to help make those new facilities happen sooner rather than later.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Hopefully a win like this can generate a few more decent sized donations to help make those new facilities happen sooner rather than later.
            That would be great.
            The Assman

Comment

Attendance - 925, Sold Out some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                Attendance - 925, Sold Out some time ago.
                From the broadcast there were more than a few empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

From the broadcast there were more than a few empty seats.
                  Yes, advertised as Sold Out. Who knows exactly what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I seriously doubt it. The Shocker site will surely inform us if otherwise. :)

The only chances are really (consistently) OU and (more recently) Oklahoma State and Arkansas. Sometimes we go somewhere like Texas to play in their tournaments, but those chances are not often. We have played LSU and Stanford on their Senior Trips.

Stanford is 7/7 and Arkansas is 8/9 in the Polls.
                    On April 11, 2018 the Shocks led #2 ranked Oklahoma 6-0 heading into the bottom of the 6th inning in Norman. Then the wheels came off and OU scored 7 runs in the bottom of the 6th to escape with a 7-6 win. I think that might of been the closest the Shocks had come to beating such a high ranked opponent until tonights win over OSU.

Comment

For those who understand these things better than I do, does this put us in good position to host a regional if we take care of business the rest of the way? Do we still have a lot of work to do, or is there little chance of that happening anyways?
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        For those who understand these things better than I do, does this put us in good position to host a regional if we take care of business the rest of the way? Do we still have a lot of work to do, or is there little chance of that happening anyways?
                        Doc brought this up earlier in the week. There’s definitely a chance. 12 AAC games remaining and losing any of those would be a bad loss. Then we have home games against OU and KU along with a road game against Oklahoma St. Two or three losses the rest of the way and I think we have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          There are 16 Regional Sites. Here is the latest RPI from a couple of days ago prior to the OSU game. Shocks are 21. They are working to make our stadium deficiencies acceptable. The biggest problem is that they don't like to have too many Regional sites close together, and in the same region. This RPI ranking shows OU as #1, and OSU as #3. Again, we are #21. As Shocks02 said, any loss to teams in our league are bad losses.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...s-softball-rpi

Comment

Memphis is at #251 so we will drop even with a sweep.

Comment

Up to #17 in RPI

Comment

This article by Taylor Eldridge was written before the Oklahoma State game:

Can Wichita State softball host an NCAA Regional? What Shockers likely need to do.

The Shockers plan on submitting a bid to host an NCAA Regional, which is awarded to the top 16 seeds in the NCAA tournament every year. Now that Wilkins Stadium is equipped with the proper lighting, electronic scoreboard and visiting dugout, WSU is eligible to host.

WSU has already taken five of six games against the two highest-rated teams in the AAC (UCF is ranked No. 43, while USF is No. 49), which leaves no resume-building wins remaining in conference play. That’s what makes Tuesday’s 6 p.m. showdown against No. 2 Oklahoma State (32-2) at Wilkins Stadium so crucial. With eight top-50 RPI wins, WSU has done plenty to prove it’s a tournament team, but if the Shockers want to host an NCAA Regional for the first time in program history, they almost certainly have to win at least once against Oklahoma State (WSU also plays the Cowgirls in Stillwater on April 18) or No. 1 Oklahoma (April 25 at Wilkins Stadium).

WSU has a standout win over Arkansas (RPI No. 17), but a win over OSU or OU would give the Shockers the marquee win they need to make a compelling case to the NCAA tournament selection committee when compared against power-conference teams with a stronger strength of schedule.

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

So the Shocks got the Marquee win they needed. Now they can't afford to slip up in the remaining 12 AAC games and in the regular season finale against Kansas in Lawrence.

Unfortunately, being so close geographically to the #1 and #2 teams in the country does not bode well for the Shocks.

If I had to bet money on what happens I would be the Shocks will end up at Arkansas or possibly Texas. However, another win over OSU or OU would make things really tough on the selection committee assuming the Shocks don't give them an excuse in the remainder of their schedule to discount that.

Comment

Working...
                                X