No announcement yet.

Black and Yellow Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three up, three down in the Western fourth. With two outs, Sami singles but then is Out for leaving early. 7-0 after four.

Another three in a row in the top of the fifth. Can the bottom of the order close this one out?

Uh, kinda, almost. Lainee singles with two out. She advances on a wild pitch, and steals third as Taylor walks. After a passed ball moves Taylor to third, Syd is intentionally walked. But Lauren is called out on strikes. Did not take long for my hope of four runs-ahead wins to fade. 7-0 and on to the sixth.

Why did Taylor move up and take the bat out of Sydney's hands?

Three more outs in the Leatherneck sixth. Alex has now retired twelve in a row following her throwing error.

Lolo does the job.With one out, her solo shot ends the game.

Western Illinois 0-8(6) Shockers

Alex throws a two-hit shutout. Sydney had three hits, and Lauren, Sami, and Lainee all had two among the twelve hits for the Shocks. Lauren had three RBI, while Lainee and Lolo homered.

Hmm, I guess this is a runs-ahead win, just not in five innings.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2023, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Game Two

Bradley at Shockers

Lineup: Much the same. Zoe moves to 1B and Camryn is at 3b, taking Caroline's spot in the batting order. Lauren is in the circle for the Shocks and Grace French for the Braves.

[Supper break soon]

Two groundouts and a strikeout and Bradley is down in order in the top of the first. The Shocks are also down in order. No score after one.

[Now]
      Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Uh, kinda, almost. Lainee singles with two out. She advances on a wild pitch, and steals third as Taylor walks. After a passed ball moves Taylor to third, Syd is intentionally walked. But Lauren is called out on strikes. Did not take long for my hope of four runs-ahead wins to fade. 7-0 and on to the sixth.

Why did Taylor move up and take the bat out of Sydney's hands?
        A bit speculative Taylor took the bat of Syd's hands. I think there was a very high probability that they walk Syd in any case in that situation. I'm surprised you didn't comment on that called 3rd strike on Lulu.

That triple Lulu hit in the 2nd was a frozen rope.

When Addison returns I think I would like to see them live Lulu in the 2-hole and slot Addison in behind her.

Bottom 5 in the lineup went 5-12 plus 2 walks and only 1 strikeout with 3 runs scored and 3 RBI. Granted it was Western Illinois but still that will work. Seems like Sami and Lainee are starting to pick it up a bit and I though Burbs had some decent swings in this game.

And. of course, Lolo's walk off:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2023, 05:26 PM.

Comment

A throwing error by Sami after a sac bunt scores a run for Bradley in the second. The Shocks load the bases on a walk, a hit batter, and an error, but Lainee grounds into a 1-2-3 DP to end the inning.

Nobody reaches base in the third for either team. 1-0 Bradley after three.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

A bit speculative Taylor took the bat of Syd's hands. I think there was a very high probability that they walk Syd in any case in that situation.
            They certainly appeared they were ready to pitch to her since the (pitched) passed ball allowed Taylor to advance.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on that called 3rd strike on Lulu.
            Not having ESPN+, I had no idea what happened. I doubted Lauren was completely fooled and unlikely to take a close pitch, but who knows? A questionable zone by the umpire?

When Addison returns I think I would like to see them live Lulu in the 2-hole and slot Addison in behind her.
            I had always assumed that HCKB intentionally had a lefty-righty-lefty-righty-lefty for her first five hitters. But last year, she had her two best hitters at the top of the order, so I understand your point.

Comment

A two-out error allows a Bradley runner, but no damage is done. Zoe homers to start the Shocker fourth, her team-leading seventh of the year. Lolo follows with a single, and the bottom of the order is put to the test again. Nope, three ground outs. 1-1 after four complete.

Another up-and-down for the Braves, all foul outs. Twelve consecutive for Lauren. For the Shocks, Taylor has a one-out single. A hitless Sydney comes to the plate. Taylor advances to second as Syd fans. (Stolen base? Possibly the pitch was in the dirt, and Syd cannot advance due to first base being occupied. Even then, it is a wild pitch? Quien sabe?) Lauren is safe on an error, and Taylor scores. Then Zoe reaches on another error, and Lolo walks to load the bases with two outs. Sami's single brings home two more (unearned) runs. Badgely is on to pitch for Bradley. A wild pitch advances the runners, and Bailey walks to load 'em up. Camryn flies out, but Syd is guaranteed another at-bat. 4-1 Shockers after five.

This is the spot in the game where Lauren has had a hiccup or two. Let's see if she can bring this one home.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2023, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Way to make them pay for those errors Sami.

Comment

Questionable call and multiple Bradley miscues allow the Shocks to plate 3 and give Syd one more shot at extending her hitting streak in the bottom of the 6th.

Comment

This is the spot in the game where Lauren has had a hiccup or two. Let's see if she can bring this one home.

Three more batters, three more outs, Fifteen consecutive retired by Lauren.

Lainee starts the Shocker sixth with a double. (Will Syd bunt for the base hit?) Taylor is hit by a pitch. Now a force out is in play even with a good bunt. Nope, lined out to short. Ground out, fly out, and we are on to the seventh. 4-1 Shocks.

There more Braves go down, and Lauren retires the last eighteen she faced. Unfortunately, Syd's hitting streak ends.

Bradley 1-4 Shockers

Lauren is the story here - complete game one-hitter with two Ks. Well, the Bradley defense is the other part of the story - two errors led to three unearned Shocker runs in the fifth inning. There were five Shocker hits, Zoe's homer among them.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 4, 2023, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Nice swing, but she hit 'em where they were and lines out to short.

Comment

Lauren H. Has to be the Player of the game in this one I would think.

Comment

And another win 4-1.

Comment

Ali Cooper struggled in the first but only gave up one run. Camryn Compton hit a solo shot. Zoe Jones hit a two run bomb. Syd 0-2 so far. 4-1 Shockers after 3 innings.

Comment

Way to Syd!

Comment

Game Three

Bradley 2-9 Shockers

Alison gives up seven hits and one earned run to go 5-1 on the season. The Shocks hammered out twelve hits with Lauren, Lolo, Lainee, and Taylor each getting two. Lolo had a three-run blast, Zoe had a two-run homer, and Camryn had a solo shot. Sydney had two RBI and has a hitting streak of one.

Comment

Working...
                                X