No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at San Diego State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pitching has actually been pretty decent so far, although you have to temper that with the competition the Shocks have faced so far. Probably too early to tell for sure where we are with the pitching. Really only 2 bad innings so far have cost us both losses.

Shocks probably will not win a lot of games where they score 2 or fewer runs.

But if we don't start getting some production from the back half of the lineup and, hopefully, get Addison to break out of her slump or whatever is ailing her then it could be an underwhelming year.

I think I was the first one to mention that I thought Addison had changed her setup at the plate somewhat and someone else thought so as well. But I haven't seen her enough or gone back to watch her from last year to say that with a lot of conviction. Plus, when it comes to those kind of things our coaches know far more about that than I do. I haven't been able to watch Addison very much this year, including none in tonight's game, but it seems to me like she is taking a lot of good pitches and then falls behind in the count. She may be overthinking a little bit and perhaps guessing. So it may be as much or more a mental thing than a physical thing.

One thing that Syd doesn't do (and has no reason to do) is to take a lot of pitches (although a lot of lead off hitters will do that). She basically is a "I see and, if I can reach it, I hit it" type of hitter. But Syd has rare hand eye coordination and and an uncanny ability to put composite material to ball even on pitches that most would consider not good pitches to be swinging at. Plus Syd is just extremely quick to first base out of the left side of the box. She is pretty much at top end speed in 2 steps.

I hope this is just a slow start for Addison and, if it is, better now than later. Clearly, we need her to be more productive. But even if that happens, as it likely will, the total lack of production in the back half of the lineup needs to change or it may not matter all that much. There's a reason Sydney is hitting .810 and slugging 1.095 but only has 2 runs batted in (1 on a solo home run).
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2023, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I think I was the first one to mention that I thought Addison had changed her setup at the plate somewhat and someone else thought so as well.
      This is certainly possible, but I thought when I first saw it, If it ain't broken, why try to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        Stream is up now on YouTube
        You have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post

You have a link?
          He is speaking of the San Diego State YouTube channel, the game of Thursday night.

Comment

Game Two

Shockers v Boise State

The First Five are followed by Sami, Camryn, Lainee, and Bailey. Alex is in the circle. Taylor Caudill, the #2 for the Broncos, is their starter.

Sydney starts the game with a walk. After two strikeouts, she steals second but is stranded after another K. A one-out walk and a two-out double gets the Broncos on the board. 0-1 after one.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 17, 2023, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X