Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at Bobcat Classic (Texas State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Bobcat Classic (Texas State)

The Shockers open their 2023 season in San Marcos (on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio) at the Bobcat Classic. Hosted by Texas State, other teams are Villanova and Kent State. On Friday, the Shocks play Villanova at 10 am and Texas State at 3 pm. Saturday's games are against Kent State at 3 pm followed by Villanova at 530 pm. The Shockers close out the weekend with a game at noon on Sunday against Texas State.

It appears that the games involving the Bobcats will be on ESPN+ and have LiveStats. All other games at the Classic have doubtful electronic coverage based on the online schedules. However at a minimum, I would expect all games to have LiveStats - we shall see.

The host Bobcats are members of the Sun Belt Conference where they are a preseason pick for second place behind the perennial champion, Louisiana. Jessica Mullins is the Preseason Pitcher of the Year. Last year, she had a record of 27-13, an ERA of 1.80 and struck out 253 in 241.0 innings. Sara Vanderford (OPS of .931 in 2022 and 7 homers, tops for the team) and Ciara Trahan(.765) are also Preseason All-Sun Belt picks.

Villanova are back-to-back Big East tournament champions while being picked second in this year's Preseason Poll. DePaul and UConn are the other teams at the top of the poll. Chloe Smith is the leading returning hitter for the Wildcats with an OPS of .890. Kelsey White (ERA of 3.17 and WHIP of 1.53) is the only returning pitcher with significant innings.

The Golden Flashes of Kent State finished ninth of eleven teams in the Mid-America Conference in 2022. (There are no Conference releases regarding softball yet.) Emily Lippe (OPS of .861 and a team-leading nine home runs) is the only returning hitter of note. The pitching staff will be a WIP with no meaningful innings returning.

EDIT: Kent State is picked sixth in the Preseason Poll of conference coaches.

The Shockers return six hitters with an OPS greater than 1.000 (Sydney, Addison, etc.), five of those with double-digit home runs. Only Alison returns with noticeable innings in the circle. Transfer Lauren Howell and freshmen Alex Aguilar and Sarah Proberts are additions to the mix with Kenzie also returning. From a recent podcast, freshman Sami Hood will be at 2B with battles for 1B and RF continuing. Also from the podcast, multiple pitchers in the same game by design may be an approach the Shocks use often.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; February 10, 2023, 09:00 AM.

LiveStats links are now up on the Shocker schedule.

Friday 10 am Villanova

Friday 3 pm Texas State

Saturday 3 pm Kent State

Saturday 530 pm Villanova

Sunday 12 pm Texas State

Last edited by flyingMoose; February 9, 2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I’m looking forward to the softball season. It’s a fun group to watch for sure.

Comment

I won't be able to follow game one due to mandatory work meeting offsite, but am hopeful that I can pull up game two afterwards. That is if the ESPN+ app wants to work for me this afternoon!
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Jessica Mullins from Texas State could be a problem. Shockers will probably see her twice this weekend.

Comment

I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to get someone to live stream the games like last season?

Comment

Game One

Shockers v Villanova

Lineup: Sydney, Addison, Lauren, Zoe 3B, Lolo, Caroline 1B, Lainee, Taylor Sedlacek RF, Sami Hood 2B with Lauren Howell in the circle. Kelsey White is the starter for 'Nova.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to get someone to live stream the games like last season?
                Can't answer that, but the games vs Texas State are said to be on ESPN+.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Interesting to go with Howell in Game 1. Likely you throw the “ace” against Texas State this afternoon. HCKB made it sound like pitching will be all hands on deck.

Comment

I'm interested to see how Sami does. She's one of the youngsters that had intrigued me the most when signed.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Going with the youngsters this morning. Be interesting to see if it's due to the matchup or that they are the deserving bunch.

So. Caroline Tallent at 1st batting 6th, Fr. Taylor Sedlacek in RF batting 8th and Fr. Sami Hood at 2nd batting 9th.

Comment

That's some potential pop at the end of the lineup. We'll see how that translates from HS to D1.

Looking at Sedlacek's bio, she was a top 100 recruit.

I think Syd and Co. have everyone excited about Tallent.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Syd with a lead off single. Go figure.

Comment

Then Addy belts a single to left and moves to 2nd on the throw as Syd is safe at 3rd. Good start.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

In the first, Sydney singles to short, advances to second on a wild pitch and to third on a single by Addison. Addison moves to second on the throw. BOOM! Lauren clears the bases with a three-run shot. And the beat goes on - Zoe doubles. Caroline singles Zoe home and advances to second on the throw. The new sticks continue to contribute - Taylor singles Caroline home. 5-0 and on to the bottom of the first.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; February 10, 2023, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X