Volleyball news from the nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball news from the nation

Rachel Holloway, who as a freshman setter led Nebraska to a national championship, is retiring from volleyball.

The two-time All-American told the Journal Star of her decision on Tuesday afternoon, moments after notifying surprised teammates.

“I know it sounds bad, but I just want to have a life outside volleyball,” Holloway said, adding that the decision had nothing to do with coaches or teammates at NU.

AD Herman Frazier was fired at Hawaii. Hawaii volleyball fans represent a substantial presence on volleytalk.

We are sworn to secrecy with these things so I need to be vague but a non-division I head coach reported their salary to the AVCA as more than $3.7 million per year, without camps, boosting the conference's average salary to more than $500,000 per year.

For the good of all volleyball coaches everywhere, I SO hope that this is not an typing error. Are they being paid in lottory scratchoff tickets? Google Stock options?

In seriousness, the salaries appear to be on the way up in a healthy way. Congrats to everyone who is benefiting, and good luck to those who's turn has not yet come.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Re: Volleyball news from the nation

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
    http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...ead=1199390675
    We are sworn to secrecy with these things so I need to be vague but a non-division I head coach reported their salary to the AVCA as more than $3.7 million per year, without camps, boosting the conference's average salary to more than $500,000 per year.

For the good of all volleyball coaches everywhere, I SO hope that this is not an typing error. Are they being paid in lottory scratchoff tickets? Google Stock options?

In seriousness, the salaries appear to be on the way up in a healthy way. Congrats to everyone who is benefiting, and good luck to those who's turn has not yet come.
    Someone didn't press the decimal point key hard enough on their keypad when entering that salary.

Comment

If you have (paid for) RichKern, this link is interesting http://www.richkern.com/vb/NCAA/Attendance.asp. It has attendance for the 2007 NCAA VB tourney. The regional with the greatest attendance was:
      Nebraska Round 1 4189 Round 2 4056 Total 8245
      I just wonder if WSU could have done better if we had hosted. With two matches which 6K+ attended, do you think WSU could have drawn better than the other regional sites? Some other examples:
      Kansas State 1572 1261 2833
      Louisville 1321 313 1634
      Dayton 1864 2057 3921
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

By the way, there may be a new set of rules for VB next season. There is a long volleytalk discussion here http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...ead=1202244902 and a NCAA announcement here http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=162613:
        All rules change proposals must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP), which will review all recommendations at its next meeting February 27. The 25-point format is used in all rule codes, including the National Federation of State High Schools. The fifth set, if necessary, will still be to 15 points.
        What do you think?

Comment

If they go to 25 point games then, I would prefer Game 5 also be a 25 point game but I'm sure they will conform to whatever they are doing internationally.

The 25 point game may make comeback wins more difficult.

However, it is probably more than enough points for matches against the Chicago States of the world.

25 Point sets probably will work out better for tournament play.

Comment

Published Friday | February 8, 2008
            NCAA volleyball panel wants shorter games

INDIANAPOLIS — An NCAA volleyball rules committee wants to change the winning score from 30 points to 25 in each of the first four games. A fifth game, if necessary, would still require 15 points to win.

The change would conform with international volleyball rules.

The proposals must be approved by a rules oversight panel, which is scheduled to meet Feb. 27.

The committee, which includes coaches and administrators from all three NCAA divisions, also recommended changing the term "game" to "set" for volleyball matches and reducing the number of substitutions from 15 to 12.

Comment

SF316, do you know what happens when you have reached your substitution limit and then have an injury?

Are you allowed to sub for the injured player or do you have to play short-handed?

Comment

Good question. I don't know the answer but I suspect you are out of luck, just like in soccer.

Comment

I am sure a injured player can be substituted for even if the team has reached their substitution limt, it is called exceptional substitution and the injured played can not return to the game.
                  GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stThings1st
                    I am sure a injured player can be substituted for even if the team has reached their substitution limt, it is called exceptional substitution and the injured played can not return to the game.
                    That makes sense. In soccer it doesn't really matter if you are a player down, no one can score anyway.

Comment

I am a bit curious about people here on SN. In terms of attendance, WSU volleyball was 7th in the nation and I seem to recall that WSU baseball was in the top ten in baseball attendance. In absolute numbers, my guess is that men's baseball or basketball is first (and the other is second); basketball has more fans per game but baseball plays more games. In third place for total attendance should be women's volleyball.

This leads to questions for SN posters. A fundamental set of changes is being proposed for volleyball. The number of points required to win a game is being reduced from 30 to 25, the number of substitutions is being reduced from 15 to 12, the name is being changed (from "game" to "set"), etc. This would be like changing the number of innings in baseball from 9 to 8 or reducing the length of a half in basketball (e.g. 20 to 17). However there is very little reaction here to these proposed changes. Why? Where is the discussion?

Comment

I think you will have your answer shortly 316.

Fwiw, volleyball is nowhere near the national sport that baseball is nor does it have the history to keep the game unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          I am a bit curious about people here on SN. In terms of attendance, WSU volleyball was 7th in the nation and I seem to recall that WSU baseball was in the top ten in baseball attendance. In absolute numbers, my guess is that men's baseball or basketball is first (and the other is second); basketball has more fans per game but baseball plays more games. In third place for total attendance should be women's volleyball.

This leads to questions for SN posters. A fundamental set of changes is being proposed for volleyball. The number of points required to win a game is being reduced from 30 to 25, the number of substitutions is being reduced from 15 to 12, the name is being changed (from "game" to "set"), etc. This would be like changing the number of innings in baseball from 9 to 8 or reducing the length of a half in basketball (e.g. 20 to 17). However there is very little reaction here to these proposed changes. Why? Where is the discussion?
                          Since there was recently a change to rally scoring in NCAA volleyball, I don't think that changes like these feel as jolting as, say, changing the number of innings in baseball which has been so set in stone.

Quite frankly, a lot of the lack of discussion probably comes from a lack of understanding of exactly how substitution patterns work. While I have certainly learned a lot over the last several years about volleyball, I still feel like I don't have a lot to contribute on the subject of whether changing the length of games and the number of subs would be a good or bad thing. I wish I understood the game well enough to have a strong opinion rooted in solid facts, but I don't.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Thanks for your comments, The Mad Hatter & WuDrWu. I hope others become interested. In addition to the changes I mentioned, they may change the "carry" (or double hit) rules and calls that you saw in 2007 might not be made in 2008. Even for a new fan in 2007, the 2008 matches may seem different (in the length, officials calls, substitutions, etc.) I don't know when the match ends; I saw (or dreamed?) a suggestion on volleytalk that one team had to win by two games. I think this is wrong or I misunderstood but it would be great to beat Kansas State 10-8; our deep bench would be useful in that case. ;-) :D

Comment

It seems like NCAA Volleyball looks to International Volleyball for their trends and changes.

The Libero was an international VB innovation.

It is my understanding that the proposed changes will conform NCAA rules to align with those now in place for International VB.

I will be interested to hear what Lambo thinks of these rule changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X