2022 NIVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 NIVC Tournament

Assuming the Shockers will be named to this tournament, here is a bit of background. If they are not, this may be the shortest thread ever in this forum.

The NIVC claims they invite 32-40 teams to participate. Last year, there were only 31 teams with one team receiving a first-round bye. It would not be surprising if some P5 teams declined an invitation and the bracket could not be filled.

At this point, twelve of the 32 spots have been filled. These are teams from mid-major (and below) one-bid conferences. Some won their conference but did not win the post-season conference tournament and were not the AQ - Houston Christian in the Southland is an example. Others finished second in their conference tournament - Drake in the MVC and Omaha in the Summitt are examples.

Once the NCAA announces their field, other teams are invited, apparently on an RPI basis. SMU is at 59 and the Shockers are at 60 in the RPI with Bonuses (don't ask). In Unmodified RPI, they are 57 and 62, respectively.

Last year, Arkansas and Arizona were the only P5 schools to accept an invitation. I would expect the same attitude toward this tournament would be held again this year by those schools.

The first round is a set of DHs at host schools to be held December 1-4 with the second round at the host site on the day following. Wichita State has Koch Arena free on all of those days except Saturday, December 3. With a strong attendance history, one would think the chances are good to host on December 1-2.

We shall see later this evening.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; November 27, 2022, 02:57 PM.

The Shockers have accepted an invitation to the NIVC and are hosting on 4-5 December.

4 December

1 pm - Drake v Weber State

330 pm - Grand Canyon at Wichita State

5 December

530 pm - Winners

RPIs

60 Shockers
    64 Drake
    126 Grand Canyon
    145 Weber State

Updated Pablo should be available on Monday.

SMU is not in the tournament.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; November 27, 2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      SMU is not in the tournament.
      I presume they declined to participate.

Comment

This is good news. I figured we wouldn't get into the NCAA tournament. If WSU would have been in the SEC, we might have, since a big chunk of that conference got selected.

By the time the Shockers play on Sunday, we will know who will have won the other side of our bracket that Portland St is hosting. It looks like we will be the last host site to finish. The third round will be played 6th-8th and the semifinals will be 8th-11th and the finals will be played sometime between the 11th-13th of December.

There are a couple of teams, Arkansas and UNLV, that were in the NIVC last year that are playing in the NCAA tournament. UNLV won this tournament last year. There are several teams in the NIVC this year that played in it last year.

Looks like the Shockers have never played Grand Canyon. We do have a common opponent, Wyoming, which Grand Canyon also defeated. They might be a tough foe.

The Shockers have played Drake many times while in the MVC. Shocker's history says we are 22-0 against Drake. Drake's history says the Shockers are 49-11 against them and the Shockers have a 35 match winning streak (2000-2016). Drake lost to common foes Omaha and Iowa St earlier this year.

Drake's opponent, Weber St, has never played the Shockers. They also played UNLV and lost although they did take a set from them.

There should be some good games next Sunday and Monday at the Roundhouse. I plan to attend all of them.

Comment

I think the Shockers are capable of beating any of the teams in this tournament. They are also susceptible to losing to any of the teams in this tournament. Just depends on which Shocker team shows up for any given match.

Good luck, Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My assumption also. Often teams that are younger (sophomores and juniors) use this opportunity to get a few more games/practices in. Teams that are more senior-laden will decline. I have not bothered to look at the roster/principal players for SMU, but I might.

EDIT: I did. The eight players with the most sets played for SMU are one Graduate, four Seniors, two Juniors, and a Sophomore. As expected, a very experienced squad. A corresponding eight for the Shockers consists of four Juniors (including Lily), three Sophomores, and a Freshman. (Figuring out who the last two of those eight should be is a little sloppy. :) )
            Last edited by flyingMoose; November 28, 2022, 12:17 AM.

Comment

The Bracket

Comment

I looked at tickets online, incase they were not general admission, and I was surprised that there was only one ticket for both games on Sunday. I figured there would be tickets sold for each of Sunday's games. I assume, and hope, they will sell tickets at the box office since I try to avoid buying things online.

From the write up on the volleyball page, it says "All matches, including the semifinals and championship, are hosted by participating schools." so is there a possibility that one school -WSU- could be host for the whole tournament? I thought the semifinals and championship games were in Colorado last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

No more college volleyball for London Austin-Roark? That's sad. Doc and I will weep ourselves to sleep tonight.
                  78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                    So is there a possibility that one school -WSU- could be host for the whole tournament? I thought the semifinals and championship games were in Colorado last year.
                    Yes, one school could never leave town. Last year the semis were in El Paso (UNLV over UTEP) and Valparaiso (Valpo over UConn) with UNLV beating Valpo in the finals hosted by Valparaiso.

Oh, and one ticket is good for both matches on Sunday as they will be played back-to-back.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

No more college volleyball for London Austin-Roark? That's sad. Doc and I will weep ourselves to sleep tonight.
                      That's disappointing news.

Comment

Pablo for the Shocker pod-

5830 Drake
                        5510 Weber State

5645 Shockers
                        5380 Grand Canyon

With the home court adjustment, the Shockers and Drake are a toss-up to win this pod - 5800 v 5830.

In the Portland State pod (the next opponent for the Shocker pod), Portland State (5705 including home-court adjustment) and Omaha (5610) are the top two teams.
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; November 28, 2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Just looked through the rest of the teams. There are six or seven teams on the left side of the bracket that would be favorites over any of the teams on the right side.

South Dakota looks like the class of the tournament, but they may play the entire tournament on the road (at UTRGV this weekend) because of weather considerations. Drake is the other team that may have some separation from the others in the field. Fortunately, the Shockers would play them here.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Just looked through the rest of the teams. There are six or seven teams on the left side of the bracket that would be favorites over any of the teams on the right side.

South Dakota looks like the class of the tournament, but they may play the entire tournament on the road (at UTRGV this weekend) because of weather considerations. Drake is the other team that may have some separation from the others in the field. Fortunately, the Shockers would play them here.
                            I was just looking through RPIs for all the teams in the field, as I start filling out a bracket. I have Drake beating Weber State, but I hope they lose. Would hate to have Drake snap their 35 game losing streak to WSU in Wichita. None of the current Shockers, except for Coach Zimmerman, have played Drake.

South Dakota *State must have a nice Pablo rating (I have not checked Pablo), their RPI is 172. So far, I have UTRGV into the semi-finals. I agree with you about the right side of the bracket. It's gonna be hard to pick because I'm not too familiar with many of these teams. Valparaiso went to the semi final last year. Liberty might make a run. Boston College could as well.

Have you seen any place that says what teams are what seeds? Would be nice to know what teams I want to lose so the Shockers can stay at home.

*Edited to add "State"
                            Last edited by Critter's Pa; November 28, 2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

South Dakota must have a nice Pablo rating (I have not checked Pablo), their RPI is 172.
                              You are looking at South Dakota State whose RPI with Bonuses is 170. (I use that RPI because the NCAA Committee uses that one. At least, that is my understanding.) South Dakota has an RPI of 40, easily the best of the teams in the NIVC. Their Pablo rank is 65, just a tick behind Drake at 64.

... the right side of the bracket. ... Liberty might make a run. Boston College could as well.
                              Yes, Liberty, Boston College, and Ohio are all pretty close depending on which metric you look at.

Have you seen any place that says what teams are what seeds?
                              The NIVC is not truly seeded. (See left-side v right-side.) The bracket is driven by geography and site availability.

Comment

Working...
                              X