• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Not so much with MorganS and Big Mac.
    Yep!!

Comment

That one helps the Shocks. The Shocks are now 9-5 in AAC play followed by Memphis which now sits 2.5 games back of the Shocks at 7-8. To bad the match the Shock lost to Hurricane Ian was th USF match.

The Shocks have 5 matches remaining. I think the best they can do is finish 3-2 with losses to Houston and SMU, although wins over Tulsa, Cincinnati and Memphis are by no means a sure thing.
      Helps them how?

I just don’t understand the point to this without a postseason tournament. The freaking MVC has one. Remind me again why the AAC doesn’t? It comes off as extremely amateur.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Helps them how?

I just don’t understand the point to this without a postseason tournament. The freaking MVC has one. Remind me again why the AAC doesn’t? It comes off as extremely amateur.
        Lambo has conceded that they will not make the NCAA Tourmament. His goal is to play in the NIVC. This win helps advance that goal. I guess the AAC thinks a double round robin conference schedule of 20 games is enough to determine an automatic qualifier. Personally, I think it probably boils down to money. Doesn't it always.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I just don’t understand the point to this without a postseason tournament.
          In the past, Lamb has not been a fan of postseason conference tournaments. If you have shown you are the best team in the conference, why do you have to show it again for one more weekend? I can understand a coach in a one-bid conference especially would feel this way. The other coaches? Not so much.

Comment

Sunday Matches

Cincinnati 0-3 UCF
            18, 10, 19

Temple 0-3 SMU
            10, 17, 21

East Carolina 3-2 Memphis
            23-, -13, -25, 19-, -12

Tulane 2-3 Tulsa
            -15, -18, 23-, 26-, 13-
            Last edited by flyingMoose; November 13, 2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              In the past, Lamb has not been a fan of postseason conference tournaments. If you have shown you are the best team in the conference, why do you have to show it again for one more weekend? I can understand a coach in a one-bid conference especially would feel this way. The other coaches? Not so much.
              It will be interesting to see what the AAC does next year if they go to divisions with the 14-team conference. Will they have a post-season match between the winners of each division to determine the automatic qualifier. Or a mini-playoff between the top 2 teams in each division similar to what the Valley used to do with its top 4 teams playing for the auto bid.

Comment

Houston sweeps aside the Shockers 11-, 22-, 20-.

As per usual Natalie stood out for the Shocks hitting 14-1-19 = .684

Brylee and Sophia only manged 6 kills each and hit a combined 12-5-35 = .200

The 2 Morgans combined to hit 2-5-22 = -.136

Emerson Wilford got some court time but only manatged to hit 4-4-14 = .000

Lauren McMahon did not play. Would not surprise me to see her leave the program after this season.

Houston outhit the Shocks .326 to .202

Kayce led the Shocks with 9 digs. Not generally a good thing to have your setter leading the team in digs.

I have not watched the match yet so I only have these quatitative observations at thie point.

I think the 11 points in the 1st set is a low for a non-5th set this season. We only scored 12 in the 3rd set vs SMU.

I was not really expecting to win over Houston.

Comment

That first set was ugly. Shocks didn't score a point on serve until the second set.

At one point, I think it was during the third set, we switched to a 6-2.

More Foster. I know she lead in attempts this match, which I don't think has ever happened, but it would be nice if she was seen as a option when the Shockers are out of system. It seemed like she was the only player that could score consistently for the Shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

At one point, I think it was during the third set, we switched to a 6-2.
                    The entire third set the Shockers were in a 6-2 with Kayce first in the rotation followed by Hailey. It appeared Hailey did a nice job; she didn't play scared.

Comment

One advantage of a 6-2 is it gets Brylee off of the back row where she is somewhat of a liability.but it also makes it a little easier for the opponents to target your setter on the serve receive.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 13, 2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

One advantage of a 6-2 is it gets Brylee off of the back row where she is somewhat of a liability.but it also makes it a little easier for the opponents to target your setter on the serve receive.
                        Pretty much the whole match I correctly guessed to whom Houston was serving the ball.

I looked at the 2022 statistics for serve receive, I don't know if it includes today's match:
                        Brylee leads the team with 23 errors on 296 attempts. (.922) She has the third most attempts.
                        MorganW is second with 22 errors on 557 attempts. (.961)
                        Lily is second in attempts at 373 with 20 errors. (.946)
                        Lara has 13 errors on 280 attempts. (.954)
                        Katie has the best percentage among players with more that 100 attempts with a .976 (5 errors on 209 attempts)

It looks like there are 32 errors so far this year that are attributed to TEAM, not to an individual.

Those are overall stats. In conference, MorganW has almost twice as many attempts as Brylee (311 to 158) and they both have the same number of errors- 13.

My point? None really, but statics are interesting, and to point out that there are several Shockers that are fair to good at serve receive. Teams seem to like to target MorganW, and it looks like she can hold her own in that department.

Some potential All American 6-rotation players and Liberos for comparison (not saying that their serve/receive is why they might be All Americans this year):
                        Georgiades (Houston) 29 errors 538 attempts .946
                        Melville (UCF) 15 errors 380 attempts .961
                        Fleck (Texas) 13 errors 316 attempts .959
                        Rodriguez (Nebraska) 10 errors 339 attempts .971
                        Baird (Stanford) 31 errors 616 attempts .950
                        McGraw (Minnesota) 22 errors 314 attempts .930

Comment

A stat Lambo keeps I think, but that is also, I think, not generally available is the quality of passes off of service reception and not just errors which is probably more telling. Not sure if he still tracks that or not.. Lambo does what he can to try to cover up Brylee on the back row but that may lead to those doing the covering making a few more errors than they normally would if they only had to worry about themselves and their own area of the court.

Comment

Everyone posting here is really good at understanding volleyball.

That first set was indeed ugly.

Houston is REALLY old.

4th year (transfer) setter Morgan Janda.

3rd year Junior setter Annie Cooke (they run a 6-2) who was the 2020 FOT, setter of the year and 1st team AAC, 2nd team AAC last year. (Can you imagine Lambo bringing in a transfer to change to a 6-2 Heibert's junior season?)

5th year grad student (4th at UH) transfer middle Isabel Theut.

5th year grad student (2nd at UH) transfer OH Kennedy Warren

4th year senior (and if Melville isn't the POY then she is) Abbie Jackson

4th year senior middle Rachel Tullos.

3rd year junior (transfer) libero Kate Georgiades.

5th year (3rd at UH) transfer OH Kortlyn Henderson.

2nd year (1st at UH) transfer middle Kellen Morin, the youngster of the crowd.

Best as I can tell, almost all these kids have missed little to no time due to injuries in their career. That's astounding.

The 6:5 vs 2:8 aces to errors ratio doesn't even begin to tell the story of the butchering administered by UH in serve receive. I cannot tell you how many over passes and free balls off UH serves led to easy Cougar points.

Although trailing and honestly, never really threatening, I thought the Shocks battled as well as could be expected in the 2nd and 3rd sets (the first was a throw away).

I thought Plugge made a nice accounting of herself and I would like to see more 6-2. We need options and we need Brylee fresh on the front row and frankly out of serve receive.

The one problem with that is running out of subs. I don't pay that close of attention, but I think Annalie was about to be forced to rotate to the front row. Obviously not an ideal situation.

Houston is old and has meaningful transfers. Unless you aren't missing with your recruiting, then you're just behind the 8 ball without filling in gaps with transfers.

Comment

WuDrWu glad you mentioned Houston's experience. 4 Covid super seniors and all of them key contributors for Houston. UCF also a very experienced team. I think UCF also has 4 5th year seniors including AAC's best offensive player, McKenna Melville, their setter Amber Olson, and a couple of transfers, 6-3 Indiana transfer Kari Zumach and 6-5 Oregon transfer Abby Hansen. I think SMU has some key transfers as well.

Comment

That they absolutely do.

Comment

Working...
                                X