Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers Host Temple & East Carolina

WICHITA STATE (5-6, 0-0 American)

Friday, Sep. 23 (7:00 p.m. CT) vs. Temple (6-5, 0-0 American)
    Wichita, Kansas (Charles Koch Arena)
    Live Stats // Watch

Sunday, Sep. 25 (12:00 p.m. CT) vs. East Carolina (5-7, 0-0 American)
    Wichita, Kansas (Charles Koch Arena)
    Live Stats // Watch

SCOUTING THE OWLS:
    • After struggling to a 7-24 campaign a season ago, Temple is off to a strong start in 2022 with a record of 6-5 entering conference play. The Owls have one common opponent with the Shockers, falling in straight sets against then-20th-ranked Kansas in early September.
    • Head coach Linda Hampton-Keith is in her first season in Philadelphia, succeeding longtime Owls head coach Bakeer Ganesharatnam. Hampton-Keith comes to Temple after a successful stint as an assistant coach at Louisville, where she helped the Cardinals reach the 2021 NCAA Final Four. She also has previous head coach experience at North Carolina State.
    • The Owls have battled to a winning record despite struggling to get on the scoreboard consistently. As a team, Temple ranks last in the American Athletic Conference with a .172 hitting percentage, eight points worse than the next-lowest team. Taylor Davenport supplies most of the offensive firepower, averaging better than four kills per set.
    • Samantha Jo Mikosky paces the conference with 1.22 blocks per set, and former AAC Libero of the Year Falanika Danielson is top ten in digs per set.

SCOUTING THE PIRATES:
    • The Pirates enter the weekend with a record of 5-7, coming off a 1-2 showing at the Virginia Tournament in Charlottesville. East Carolina seeks to bounce back from a 9-20 mark in 2021, including a 5-15 record in AAC play.
    • ECU picked up wins against Furman and Norfolk State at their home tournament to open the season, then added a pair of W's against Navy and Old Dominion in Norfolk before wrapping up the Virginia Tournament with a victory over Mercer.
    • Like Temple, East Carolina's offense is in search of a spark. The Pirates head into play on Friday last in the conference in both assists per set (10.09) and kills per set (11.00).
    • The Pirates do supplement a lack of conventional scoring prowess with excellent serving numbers and a strong block. Payton Evenstad leads the circuit with 20 service aces (0.44 per set), and the Pirates are second in the AAC as a team in that category. ECU is third in blocks per set at 2.37, just 0.06 behind Wichita State.
    • Head coach Adler Augustin is now in his third season at the helm of the Pirates following a stint as an assistant at Stephen F. Austin.

The Shocks cannot afford to lose to either one of these teams. If they do, then this will be a long season.

"We're right there," Litzau said. "It's just the little things. Making sure we're communicating when things aren't exactly how we want so we can fix them."

Enough went right for Wichita State volleyball to win five matches, including three against 2021 NCAA Tournament teams. The six losses indicate the Shockers failed to do those good things as consistently as they prefer in non-conference play.

With American Athletic Conference play beginning on Friday (7 p.m. ESPN+) against Temple (6-5), the Shockers are talking about the need for consistency and resiliency. The weekend continues against ECU (1 p.m., Sunday ESPN+). I believe the ECU match is at Noon central time.

Coach Chris Lamb points to the offense as needing to give more in most cases. The Shockers own an attack percentage of .197, which ranks eighth in the 11-team American. Last season, with largely the same lineups, the Shockers hit .223. The scoring can't take all the blame – 16 service errors hurt the Shockers in a 3-2 loss at Wright State on Saturday.

"Offensively, I would have expected us to be a little farther along," Lamb said. "But it also makes me wonder if our non-con is just better than I thought."

Lambo mentioned on his Monday radio show that the kill rates for Brylee (at 30.9%) and MorganW (at 25.9%) were well below what the Shocks need to be successful. For comparison Natalie and Sophia have kill rates of 46.9% and 40.7%, respectively. Also needs to find scoring form a 2nd middle and mentioned freshman Emerson Wilford, who he had planned to redshirt but did play in 3 sets in the non-con) might get more chances even if that might weaken the defense.

Comment

Shockers 3-0 Temple
      13, 21, 15

Other AAC

(Wed) Houston 3-2 Tulane
      (22), 9, (24), 18, 8

UCF 3-0 Memphis
      21, 19, 22

USF 1-3 SMU
      18, 15, (23), 16

Cincinnati 3-1 Tulane
      26, (16), 24, 21

ECU 2-3 Tulsa
      18, 21, (21), (15), 6

Comment

I wrote this up before bedtime last night but apparently forgot to hit the post button. Thsks for the restore function.

I did not get to watch the Temple match but I'll catch the replay sometime this weekend. Shocks had little trouble with Temple sweeping the Owls 25-13, 25-21, 25-15.

The Shocks hit Temple .307 to .000 with a strong kill rate of 40.9% and a very good attack error rate of 10.2% vs 26.6% and 26.6% for Temple as the Owls had 29 kills and 29 attack errors.

The Shocks had 2 aces to 8 service errors while Temple had 1 ace and 6 service errors. The Shocks had 6 blocks to 5 for Temple.

Brylee hit 9-1-24 =.333, Natalie hit 8-1-10 = 700, Sophia hit 7-3-17 = .235, and MorganS hit 5-1-15 = .267. The Shocks only managed 36 kills (12/set) which is low but that's all they needed with Temple makeing 29 attack errors.

Tulsa beat ECU tonight 3-2. I think ECU will probably provide more resistance on Sunday.

Comment

In the second set, the Shocks were sloppy early and Temple played some nice defense. But the Shockers got that turned around and the rest was easy-peasy.

ECU played a surprisingly close (road) match with Tulsa. However, road teams tend to have a tough back end of the weekend. We shall see.

Comment

Shocks were sloppy in the 1st set as well, just for a shorter amount of time as compared to the 2nd set. I was surprised the Shocks were able to turn around the 2nd set, that was ugly volleyball for us and Temple was swinging well. Up 5 with 6 to get, the Owls pulled a real Larrisa Svchenko and never recovered.

Annalie had a couple big moments in sparing play on the backrow. Lara did as well. Not many subs. Lauren, Sophie, Emmerson did not see the floor best as I remember. Cool moment for Addy Baddley who saw her first action on the last point of the match. Got her hands on a swing from Temple setting up our last kill. She's been battling an ACL injury since arriving. Her dad was at the matches last year, I hope he was here to see her play last night.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Shocks were sloppy in the 1st set as well, just for a shorter amount of time as compared to the 2nd set. I was surprised the Shocks were able to turn around the 2nd set, that was ugly volleyball for us and Temple was swinging well. Up 5 with 6 to get, the Owls pulled a real Larrisa Svchenko and never recovered.

Annalie had a couple big moments in sparing play on the backrow. Lara did as well. Not many subs. Lauren, Sophie, Emmerson did not see the floor best as I remember. Cool moment for Addy Baddley who saw her first action on the last point of the match. Got her hands on a swing from Temple setting up our last kill. She's been battling an ACL injury since arriving. Her dad was at the matches last year, I hope he was here to see her play last night.
              Remind me what this references.
              78-65

Comment

ECU 0-3 Shockers
                28, 15, 22

Other AAC

UCF 3-0 SMU
                21, 17, 20

Cincinnati 1-3 Houston
                23, (23), 24,17

Temple 0-3 Tulsa
                17, 14, 13

USF 2-3 Memphis
                20, (16), 21, (19), 13

Comment

Thought the Shocks ran hot and cold today which is kind of par for the course with this team.

MorganW had her best offensive performance of the year, perhaps by far, which came in very handy since Brylee and Sophia were subpar at least for the fist half of the match.

Shocks almost let Set 1 get away from them. #3 for ECU, a 6 foot OH, was torching the Shocks and had 10 kills in set 1. The Shocks apparently made some good adjustments as they held her to 3 kills, I think in sets 2 and 3.

Sophia has developed a really nasty jump serve which can be a very effective weapon if she can keep it over the net and between the lines, which I thought she did pretty well today.

Shocks did what they needed to do this weekend. Sweep a pair of teams they should sweep.

Comment

Roundhouse report on the Shockers sweep of Temple and ECU and MorganW's big match vs ECU:

"She found something that worked and stayed with it," Lamb said. "Blocking is about timing, so she's disrupting timing better than ever. It was a career night for Morgan, and a night when maybe we needed it, because it was a dogfight."

Comment

Working...
                    X