Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB - 2022 is Upon us

KSN - WSU Volleyball entering season with underdog mentality

“We just have to keep that same mentality. We need to stay hungry every single day, not just in games, but in practices too,” said Morgan Stout, Wichita States middle blocker.

The Shockers have no seniors on the roster, but they do have red-shirt junior Brylee Kelly, an outside hitter that has emerged as a leader on and off the court.

“This is the Brylee we thought we would be getting someday. She is a leader on this team who wants the ball. She demands the ball. She’s really upped her game later in her career rather than having her learning curve flatten out,” explained Lamb.

Kelly saw the need for a leader and took it upon herself to fill the missing piece.

“The role was there, and I grabbed it right away, and we all kind of started connecting well. We were young, so I stepped into the role and was like, my team needs me, now let’s do this,” Kelly said.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Indeed it is. The Volleyball Dinner & Auction is Saturday evening. I've got my 4 tickets.

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/7/1...august-13.aspx

I have also ordered a pair of season tickets even though I will not be able to use those but I will see if I can donate those to Big Brothers-Big Sisters. But I did want to support the program and perhaps get some youngsters to the matches.

As I have said before I view supporting all programs as a contribution to Men's basketball as each of the dollars spent on the other programs is a dollar that the Men's basketball program does not have to subsidize.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 12, 2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

For anyone going to the Volleyball D&A I just got a call from the ticket office. They said they have another event at Koch Arena on Saturday and Volleyball D&A attendees will need to enter through the east side of the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Indeed it is. The Volleyball Dinner & Auction is Saturday evening. I've got my 4 tickets.

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/7/1...august-13.aspx

i have also ordered a pair of season tickets even though I will not be able to use those but I will see if I can donate those to Big Brothers-Big Sisters. But I did want to support the program and perhaps get some youngsters to the matches.

As I have said before I view supporting all programs as a contribution to Men's basketball as each of the dollars spent on the other programs is a dollar that the Men's basketball program does not have to subsidize.
        Thank you for all that you do both on SN and in support of Shocker Athletics

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

Thank you for all that you do both on SN and in support of Shocker Athletics
          Your welcome, but believe me I am strictly small potatoes. But if enough of us small potatoes chip in we might be able to make a casserole or two.

Comment

The usual fun event last night. Mike Kennedy had just about everyone shedding a tear, including himself, when he payed tribute to Shannon near the end (just before Lambo and the team talked). As always, Mike was perfect in chronicling Shannon's contributions to the program, University and area. I can report that Shannon wasn't the only one that broke down.

The event was somewhat muted compared to the best years. Crowd was down a bit, silent auction items were down a bit and the live auction items were down a bit. The crowd appeared, to me at least, to be comprised more of the "die-hard" fans. Alumni, players, coaches, friends & family, WSU staff and fans that attend a lot of games. Missing seemed to be many of the casual WSU supporters, especially the "well-heeled" fans/donors.

Shannon has done the lion's share of work organizing and developing this event over the years and she's just not able to do this any longer and Lambo commented that he didn't think they would even attempt to put the event on until the last minute. Unusual circumstances for sure, but this is one of those things I've been harping on that absolutely must change. Hopefully ADKS was taking notes and will visit with those that have seen this event at it's best. This event can be SO successful.

I had the live auction total around 15k maybe a touch more.

The girls, as always, were great. If you buy a table you'll get at least one of the players to sit with you. They are just the best. So polite and engaging and this is always the most enjoyable interaction event of the year. I'm sure 1972Shocker will remember the details, but hats off to B&C BBQ for the great food and title sponsorship of the event. Crestview Country Club, Caraba's, the former owner and chef (I think) at Caraba's and many more that opened their wallets to support this event.

The "game" that Lily and Morgan Weber devised was a lot of fun too and Lambo ended it perfectly when they asked which was his favorite Iowa girl (Lily or Morgan) and Lambo answered Shannon Lamb without hesitation. PERFECT.

This event, 1st pitch banquet for baseball and the IB dinner and auction are the 3 big possibilities that need to bring in cash, but as I've lamented several times, this won't happen without new leadership and organization. Go get 'em ADKS.

Go Shocks

Comment

WuDrWu I think you have covered the highlights very well. Mike's tribute to Shannon was indeed very nice and very appropriate.

One reason the event was somewhat muted is due to the impact of Shannon's much reduced involvement due to her health issues. In fact, Lambo alluded to the fact that they weren't even sure they would be able to get it done this year but the WSU staff pulled it together. I had a little bit of difficulty hearing everything due to the acoustics in the room and my ears are still ringing from Lauren McMahon's and Hailey Plugge's self-introduction. I thought Lambo said they either weren't able to put a Dinner committee together, or if they did, it was late.

The silent auction was perhaps 40% of what they have had in the past. I thought the top items were U.S. Flag folded and displayed in a triangular shadow box along with a Certificate of Authenticity that this flag was flown at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. That went for $775. I also really liked the ConFab stainless steel (I think) laser cut Wichita emblem/flag/penant. That went for $500. I think the silent auction raised around $4,500.

The live auction items were also not as impressive as in the past but they came up with a few unique ideas and couple of them they doubled at the end of the bidding. I thought some of the live auction stuff was things that in past would have been in the silent auction. I think Doc is pretty close in his estimate of $15,000. 2 of the 10 items that they doubled up on accounted for half of that.

Not sure how much they raise from the Diamond Dig. That always seems pretty popular at $10 a scoop.

I would say the crowd was down 25% from past dinners. I think covid is still having some impact on attendance at live events. I did see at least 2 reserved tables that had no one sitting at them. The crowd did seem a little more hesitant to depart with their dollars this year. Part of that could be the economic stresses we are experiencing and perhaps fewer well-heeled donors as Doc suggested. On thing that was noticeable and, at least for me, a bit of a concern is that the crowd is definitely weighted towards an older demographic. I just wonder if the interest in supporting WSU athletics is or will be in decline as the fan base continues to turnover.

Lambo was sitting under a small canopy where you go stop by and chat with him although I don't think too many took him up on the offer. It was very well promoted. He was introducing his new assistant coaches Brian Hosfeld and Ashleigh Houlton. He also talked a bit about them during his final remarks at the podium. One thing Lambo was doing at the canopy before the auction was trying to get a list of folks he could call to discuss a dedicated recruiting fund he wants to try to put together.

Towards the end of his remarks Lambo briefly mentioned NIL. He did not go into any specifics about NIL but he did say that what it has done in his opinion is to put the onus on a program's success primarily on the backs of the fans as much, or perhaps more, than on the athletic administration and the coaches. I took that to mean the fans and boosters need to pony up or watch the programs drift towards mediocrity or irrelevance (my words, Lambo's).

Kevin Saal and his wife, Jennifer, (as well as his mother) were there and working the room enthusiastically.

I enjoyed the dinner and auction and I would call it a success although not to the extent of past dinners as noted above.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 14, 2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Photo album for the Volleyball Dinner and Auction:

https://goshockers.com/news/2022/8/1...r-auction.aspx

Says the crowd was 500. Did not seem that big to me but I'm not great at estimating crowd sizes.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 14, 2022, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Go Shockers - Foster, Kelly, Litzau Named Preseason All-Conference

WICHITA, Kan. -- Wichita State volleyball's Natalie Foster, Brylee Kelly, and Kayce Litzau were named to the American Athletic Conference Preseason All-Conference Team, the league announced Wednesday. Kelly was one of five unanimous selections among the 13-player team.

In the team poll, the Shockers were picked fourth while earning one first place vote. UCF, led by preseason player of the year McKenna Melville, is the unanimous favorite with 100 points. Houston and Cincinnati rank second and third, respectively.

All three Shockers were also selected postseason All-Conference in 2021, with Kelly a unanimous First Team choice and Foster and Litzau earning spots on the Second Team.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Shocks picked by the coaches to finish 4th just behind Cincy and just ahead of SMU. UCF is the unanimous pick to repeat as conference champs followed by Houston.

Comment

I finally looked at the schedule and noticed that it is different than in years past in the following way.

Before 2022, the non-con schedule was typically 4x3 - four weekends of three matches. This year it is 1x3 and 4x2. Quite possibly I have heard the explanation (NCAA change, AAC change, travel costs, other, some combination) but have forgotten it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        I finally looked at the schedule and noticed that it is different than in years past in the following way.

Before 2022, the non-con schedule was typically 4x3 - four weekends of three matches. This year it is 1x3 and 4x2. Quite possibly I have heard the explanation (NCAA change, AAC change, travel costs, other, some combination) but have forgotten it.
                        Lambo mentioned this briefly at the Dinner and Auction. Part of it is total number of play days allowed by the NCAA and part of it is travel cost considerations. Sound like controlling costs is pretty high on the agenda for right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Lambo mentioned this briefly at the Dinner and Auction. Part of it is total number of play days allowed by the NCAA and part of it is travel cost considerations. Sound like controlling costs is pretty high on the agenda for right now.
                          While I know there is many factors involved including the weather, I hope softball finds a way to play more home games this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X