Shocker Softball & Shocker Sports Hall of Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball & Shocker Sports Hall of Fame

I find it very interesting that at this point there is only 1 Shocker softball player (sort of) in the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame. That is Janet Kohl Hoskins who played Volleyball, Basketball, Softball and Field Hockey from 1968-1972. 50+ years ago. Plus I'm guessing Janet was elected primarily as a pioneer of women's sports and also for her versatility as much as for excellence on the playing field.

It would appear that that will soon change with some of the players from recent seasons no doubt heading for HOF selection in the future. However, I find it surpising that no other Shocker softball player has ever been inducted into the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame. We have had some pretty good players over the years.

Some possible candidates from players finishing their Shocker careers more than 10 years ago:

Pitchers:
    Patty Bautista (1986-89)
    Lindsay Craig (2002-05)
    Margo Prius (2004-07)

Position Players:
    Jennifer Jay ((1990-93) - 2-way player - also pitched
    Lorie Broehl (1990-93)
    Jennifer Bachman (1994-97)
    Patti Oleson (1998-01)
    Tina Lewis (2000-03)
    Ashley Lynn (2003-06)
    Julie Darling (2003-06)
    Britnee Barnett (2005-08)
    Katie McGeeney (2005-08)
    Heather Gerritse (2008-11)

Possible/Probable candidates for players over the past 10 years:

Pitchers:
    Katie Malone (2013-17)
    Bailey Lange (2018-21) - 2-way player at least part of her career

Position Players:
    Melanie Jaegers (2012-15)
    Brittany Fortner (2013-16)
    Kelly Spring (2013-17)
    Cacy Williams (2014-16)
    Mackenzie Wright (2015-18)
    Ryleigh Buck (2017-21)
    Paige Luellen (2014-18)
    Laurie Derrico (2016-19)
    Madison Perrigan (2017-21)

Current Players Already on the Radar:
    Neleigh Herring (2018-Present)
    Sydney McKenzie (2019-Present)
    Addison Barnard (2021-Present)
    Lauren Lucas (2021-Present) - Assuming she maintains and builds on what whe is doing this season

All of these players are still, and in the case of current players (except Lauren Lucas) are already, listed in the Top 10 career statistical categories at Wichita State. Not saying all or even most of these players deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Obviously, softball has not had the national success of baseball and some of our other sports but I would think maybe 2 or 3 of those who finished their careers more than 10 years ago would have made it. As I said moving for forward I think we will see that change for players who began their careers in the past 10 years especially now that the program is starting to gain attention. Only took 50 years.

What are the “typical criteria”? All-conference teams, that sort of thing. I suspect Sydney and Addison already have or will soon meet whatever those criteria are.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      What are the “typical criteria”? All-conference teams, that sort of thing. I suspect Sydney and Addison already have or will soon meet whatever those criteria are.
      I don't know that there are any specifice criteria. For one thing that would be a little difficult to apply equitably from one sport to the next. Some sports are team sports, some or more individual. However, at this point Addie and Sydney seem pretty much like locks to eventually be inducted. I think, if Syd and Addie continue to finish off their careers at the level they have been operating at so far, the question will be should their numbers or jersey's be retired or perhaps start a ring of honor on the outfield wall.

Comment

Between big softball weekends, I want to reply to this.

I disagree.

We only have to go back to the HOF Class of 2022 to illustrate my point of view. Selections from the achievements of two individuals follow.

Chelsey Feekin - a team sport

Named an AVCA Third Team All-American in 2013 and an honorable mention All-American in 2012…Named first team all-region in 2012 and 2013…Two-time first team all-Valley selection…2013 MVC Co-Player of the Year…Named to the MVC All-Tournament team in 2012 and 2013

Aliphine Tuliamuk - (effectively) an indivdual sport

Was a 13-time All-American, the most in Wichita State track and field history…Earned 11 All-America honors in track and field, including six outdoor and five indoor...Was a two-time NCAA cross country All-American

The achievements mentioned are items like All-American and All-Regional honors, multiple All-Conference honors, Conference POY and the like. Those kinds of awards are not sport-specific and can be used effectively to identify possible inductees to the HOF.

Comment

You make good points but seems like you are cherry picking your examples but I will concede the point for now. Whether or not the achievements you have mentioned hold true for all members of the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame may or many not be the case. Looking at that is more effort than I want to put into it right now..

I can think of one example off the top of my head where the inductees accomplishments are comparable to, if as good, as some of the softball players I listed and this Lisa Hodgson. If I really studied it perhaps I could provide other examples. Maybe I do that someday down the road.

It seems odd that they do not list what standards and achievements are required for induction? Or at least I haven't been able to find that in the past when I have looked for it.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 10, 2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X