Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney McKinney - USA Softball POY Voting

McKinney a Top 10 Finalist for USA Softball Player of the Year

USA Softball trimmed its list to 10 for Collegiate Player of the Year on Wednesday, and Wichita State junior shortstop Sydney McKinney has made the cut.

USA Softball trimmed its list to 10 for Collegiate Player of the Year on Wednesday, and Wichita State junior shortstop Sydney McKinney has made the cut.

McKinney became the first Shocker in program history to make the Top 25 watch list last month and made more history on Wednesday.

She joins Jocelyn Alo (Oklahoma), Jordy Bahl (Oklahoma), Georgina Corrick (USF), Danielle Gibson (Arkansas), Baylee Klingler (Washington), Grace Lyons (Oklahoma), Kelly Maxwell (Oklahoma State), Keely Rochard (Virginia Tech) and Danielle Williams (Northwestern).

The Norborne, Mo., native leads the nation in hits (77) and runs per game and ranks second in batting average (.490). She also has five triples, 12 doubles, 12 home runs, 35 RBI and 62 runs scored this season. The reigning American Athletic Conference Player of the Year, McKinney is the program's all-time leader in hits and batting average. Last season McKinney became the program's first NFCA All-American, earning Third Team honors.

The Top 10 Finalists include three fifth-year/graduate students, four seniors, two juniors and one freshman. Split evenly with five pitchers and five position players, the Top 10 Finalists hail from eight different NCAA Division I universities while representing six athletic conferences across the country including the Big 12 with four member schools, the American Athletic Conference (AAC) with two, and the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern Conference (SEC) each with one school apiece. Three athletes from the University of Oklahoma highlight the list while Arkansas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, South Florida, Virginia Tech, Washington and Wichita State are each represented by one athlete.

The Top 3 Finalists will be revealed on May 18 before the 2022 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be announced prior to the NCAA Women's College World Series, which is scheduled for June 1-10 at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Complex.

She's more than deserving.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      She's more than deserving.
      Indeed, she is. I doubt she will win it but it would be fantastic if she makes the Final 3.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 4, 2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Throw some NIL money her way too.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Throw some NIL money her way too.
          And to Addie Barnard as well. True student-athletes and possibily (maybe likely) not on full athletic scholarships as softball is a head count sport with a limit of 12 scholarships. The Shockers have 21 players on their roster.

Comment

I swear if I was a business owner I would have the entire softball team repping.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              [B] The Top 3 Finalists will be revealed on May 18 before the 2022 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year will be announced prior to the NCAA Women's College World Series, which is scheduled for June 1-10 at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Complex.
              Sydney did not make the Final 3 which is not too surprising but:

South Florida’s Corrick Makes Conference History As 2022 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Top 3 Finalist

After putting together one of the best performances of anyone in NCAA Division I softball this season, South Florida senior pitcher Georgina Corrick became the first American Athletic Conference player to advance to the Top 3 Finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award.

Oklahoma's Jocelyn Alo and Washington's Baylee Klingler are the other 2 finalists.

I doubt that Corrick will come out on top primarily because she does not play in a P-5 conference.

Comment

Sydney needs a better NIL deal; poor girl can’t afford new jeans.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                X