Shocker SB at ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at ECU

The Shockers continue their conference season with a series in Greenville, NC, against East Carolina this weekend. Games are Friday at 4 pm, Saturday at 1 pm, and Sunday at 11 am. All time are CT. This is the next-to-last conference series.

With the conference regular season nearing an end, all statistics are conference-only.

ECU have an overall record of 20-29 with a 2-10 mark in the AAC with both wins coming against Memphis. They have been swept by USF, Houston, and UCF.

Jocelyn Alonso has an OPS of 1.113. Nobody else is above .700. Logyn Estes (ERA of 2.49 and WHIP of 1.55) has the most conference starts. Other starters during conference play have been Jordan Hatch (5.46 and 2.10), Taylor Smith (6.50 and 1.71), and Madisyn Davis (8.71 and 2.05). Estes lost to UCF by 1-0 and 2-1.

The Shocks have a bunch of hitters with an OPS above 1.000: Addison (1.881 and 13 homers), Jessica (1.472), Neleigh (1.449 and five homers), Zoe (1.332 and six homers), Lauren (1.196), and (Gasp!!) Sydney (1.116).

Conference pitching numbers for the Shockers in innings order are Caitlin (4.69 and 1.74), Erin (3.15 and 1.26), and Alison (1.88 and 1.45).

It should be pointed out that these numbers are affected by a small sample size, but at least they come from (almost) the same set of samples.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 27, 2022, 02:39 PM.

Copy of post made in the Memphis thread:

IMO the Shockers need to take 2 out of 3 from ECU although a sweep clearly would be much preferable.

Even though ECU and Memphis were tied for last in the AAC at 2-10 before this past weekend I expect ECU to put up much more resistance than Memphis did this past weekend. For one thing ECU is at home. ECU's 2 AAC wins are over Memphis. Interestingly, ECU's best performance in AAC play was their last series even though it was a sweep on the road at UCF. The scores in tht series were 1-0, 6-1 and 2-1.

Hopefully, the Shockers are locked and loaded for this coming weekend in Greenville.

Comment

Addison Barnard was just named Softball America's Player of the Month. In April she has hit .456 with 13 HR and 33 RBI.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Nice interview of Addie Barnard on the D1Softball Podcast. Starts at around the 14 minute mark and lasts and lasts around 14 minutes.

https://d1softball.com/the-d1softbal...-2-episode-30/

The interviewers were befuddled why Addie wasn't in the final 25 of the USA Play of the Year voting. They also said that if Addie gets the 30-30 home run-stolen base mark it would a first ever accomplishment.

Wichita State Softball Retweeted

Rhiannon Potkey
        @RPotkey

During nationals every summer, the @NCAASoftball leader in HRs and RBIs chose to show cows instead of playing because of her family’s farming loyalty. Find out more about @addieb30 when tomorrow’s @D1Softball podcast drops
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 28, 2022, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Friday Game

My contribution - another day like Friday.

Comment

Great weather for the game tonight. Game time temp around 68, falling to maybe 60. No rain, minimal wind.

If they win, we may not get the girls back.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Great weather for the game tonight. Game time temp around 68, falling to maybe 60. No rain, minimal wind.

Yep, looks pretty nice. What I am seeing with the game starting at 5 ET the temps will be pretty much 68 degrees with next to no chance or rain throughout most of the game. But what I am most envious of is that winds will be around 7 mph to start the game diminishing to about 3 mph by the end of the game.

Comment

Game One

Following on Live Stats (will watch replay later). Logyn Estes in the circle for ECU. Erin McDonald in the circle for the Shocks.

Inning 1: Did take long for the Shocks to draw blood. Sydney doubled down the left field line on the 1st pitch of the game. Addie worked the count to 3-2 before unloading her 27 home run ofthe season. Laruen singled and after Zoe fouled out the next 3 Shockers walked to force in a run but Lainee hit into an inning ending 1-2-3 double play. Erin sets ECU down in order. Shocks lead 3-0 and could have been more.

Inning 2: Holy Masharoni! Wylie leads of with an infield hit. Sydney singles to center moving Wylie to 3rd. Sydney steals 2nd. Addie falls behind 0-2, fouls the next 2 pitches off and takes ball one. Gets one she likes a drills her 28 home run of he season. Lauren with an infield single and then advance to 2nd on a throwing error. Zoe then homers to right center. ECU goes to Taylor Smith in the circle. Neleigh welcomes Smith to the game with a home run on on a full count to center. Jessica singles to right and Lolo follows with another home run. Lainee decides she wants in on the fund and she homers to center. The Shocks have plated 9 runs so far this at bat to extend the lead to 12-0 and there are still have no outs this round. Wylie comes back up for a 2nd time in the inning and decides since everyone else is doing she may as well join the fun and she homers to right field. Shocks are up 13-0 and have launched 7 home runs. As John Wooden was know to say -- goodness gracious sakes alive. Almost unbelievably, Sydney makes the 1st out fouling out to 3B. Addie only mansges a double down the left field line this time around. Lauren walked and Zoe hit her 2nd home run of the game to make it 16-0 on the Shockers 8th home run in 2 innings. Mercifully, Neleigh fouled out to left and Jessica flied out to center to end the massacre.

ECU did load the bases with 1 out in the bottom of the 2nd on a walk, single and hit by pitch but a 6-4-3 double play got Erin out of the inning.

Chances of another run rule win are around 99.99%.

Inning 3: Lolo lead of with a solo homer to right center. Her 2nd of the game. After the next 2 Shockers were retired Sydney walked and Addie, who seems to like attention, hit her 3rd home run of the game to make it 19-0. That make 9 home runs for the game which I believe is a new Shocker record for a single game. Why are they even pitching to Addie? Although, I am glad they are.

Erin gave up a home run and a pair of singles leading off the ECU 3rd. Gets a pop out to short then walks the bases loaded. Shocks not in danger but not a good inning from Erin so far. Erin gets a pop out to 3rd and fly ball to center to escape her 2nd straight bases loaded, 1 out situation. Would like to see her avoid doing that even though she has only allowed 1 run. Shocks lead 19-1.

Inning 4: The Shocks tack on run #20 on a Neleigh double at the end of a 9-ptich at bat and scoring on an infield single by Krystin who has taken over at 3rd base for Jessica.

Freshman Kenzie Shopfer is in the circle for the Shocks. Kenzie has only pitched to a couple of batters since her appearance against Kansas City on March 19th. Kenzie goes strike out, foul pop to 3rd, walk and ground ball Zoe for an unassisted force at 2nd. Good job. Shocks lead 20-1.

Inning 5: Wylie singles to center, Sydney reached on a bunt single, Caroline Tallent, pinch hitting for Addie which I applaud, reached on an infield single to load the bases with not outs. Lauren line out to 2nd base but Zoe doubled down the left field line scoring Wylie and Sydney and moving Caroline to 3rd. Neleigh was hit by a pitch to reload the bases. Krystin ground out to 1B unassisted but both Caroline and Zoe somehow scoring. Madyson grounded out to short to end the at bat a the Shocks plate 4 more runs.

Shocks need to hold ECU to 14 or fewer runs to in the bottom half of the inning to finish this one off. Kenzie throws only 9 pitches and gets 3 ground balls to finish of another Shocker run rule.

Final Line Score:

Shockers 24-23-0 (Including 10 home runs)
                Pirates 1-4-1
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 29, 2022, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I just witnessed 7 home runs (I think) in one inning. Holy freaking cow. These gals are absolutely incredible, and fun to watch! Now this is Shocker sports!

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                    I just witnessed 7 home runs (I think) in one inning. Holy freaking cow. These gals are absolutely incredible, and fun to watch! Now this is Shocker sports!
                    Indeed you did. I am quite sure that is a WSU record and I will bet it is also a new NCAA records. Not watching but will later. Not sure I have ever seen the likes of that.

Comment

I’ve been watching-while on vaca. Not wind aided either. It was like watching batting practice. Fun stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                        I hope they won't need any those HRs in the next games. How good are ECU's next 2 starters?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I hope they won't need any those HRs in the next games. How good are ECU's next 2 starters?
                          Not great. See the opening post above for the stats provided by @flyingMoose.

Logyn Estes (ERA of 2.49 and WHIP of 1.55) has the most conference starts. Other starters during conference play have been Jordan Hatch (5.46 and 2.10), Taylor Smith (6.50 and 1.71), and Madisyn Davis (8.71 and 2.05). Estes lost to UCF by 1-0 and 2-1.

Logyn Estes started today's game. UCF is leading the AAC, one game up on the Shocks. Those two game Estes pitched against UCF were pretty impressive. Note the above stats are AAC games only.

My guess is will see Logyn Estes starting again in this series.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Looks like the Ladies are enjoying the weather.

Comment

I swear... So many of Addie's home runs look like she's swinging half power.

Comment

Working...
                              X