No announcement yet.

Shockers v Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morgan Stout set new personal bests with 13 kills and 11 blocks, including two solos. The 11 rejections tie for the second-most in a five-set match in the rally scoring era of Shocker volleyball.

As a team, Wichita State had 18 blocks, three more than their previous high in a match this season.

The Shocks were just terrific in the first two sets although as the match progressed they digressed except for their blocking.. In the first set, WSU had a sideout percentage of 85%, their highest in any single set this season. However, in the 5th set they only won 7 points on Tulsa's 15 serves for a sideout percentage of 46.7% and 3 of those were Tulsa service errors. The Shocks only had 7 kills in the 5th set but the blocking was huge as they had 5 blocks for points.

As I mentioned in my match blogs the Shockers had one of their more balanced attacks of the season. Brylee had 14 kills but also had the most chances an only hit .173, Sophia had 13 kills on 28 chances and hit a very good .321, MorganS had 13 kills on 27 chances hitting .259, MorganW had 12 kills on 35 chances hitting .257 and Natalie was the most efficient with 9 kills and only 1 error on 23 chances to hit a team leading .348.

I thought Kayce had 2 big plays back-to-back in the 5th set. She terminated an overpass to put the Shocks up 11-9 and then won a joust at the net against bigger Tulsa players making it 12-9.

The final two points in the 5th set were kills by Natalie and Sophia that weren't no doubters but were just good enough to finish the job.

Hopefully, we will see more of what the Shocks brought in Sets 1 and 2 vs Tulsa and see that or something more like that more consistently.

Got to give Tulsa some credit. They could easily have folded their tents after the first two sets.

The Shocks are now 10-5 a half game in front of Cincinnati (who plays at Tulane and at Houston this weekend) and SMU (who plays at South Florida and at UCF this weekend). They are 1.5 games up on Tulane (who hosts Cincinnati and ECU this weekend).

If the Shocks can get by Temple on Friday they have a great shot at sitting in 3rd by themselves at the end of this weekend.

The Shocks remaining Schedule is:

vs Temple (5-20, 1-13)
    at Cincinnati (14-8, 9-5)
    at ECU (9-14, 5-9)
    vs SMU (13-11, 9-5)
    vs Memphis (12-14, 5-9)

These are all winnable matches but they also are all losable matches. In the first half of the season the Shocks defeated all 5 of these teams but had to go 5 sets to beat SMU, ECU and Cincinnati in 3 consecutive matches and they beat Temple and Memphis on the road in 4 sets.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Set 2

Hard to believe the Shocks can keep their level of play going at this level but we will see.
      Sitting there watching the match, I thought to myself, I can't imagine what could possibly happen that could turn this match, it's such a mismatch.

And then it happened. So weird the ebb and flows of a volleyball match sometimes.

I was surprised they stuck with Weber late in the match. She was beyond ineffective on the left, almost seemed like she couldn't leave the ground she was so gassed. Setting her was basically worthless. Kailin played, but only as a server and I don't think we were out of subs (but I could easily be incorrect). And maybe once she subbed in to serve it was impossible to sub her in to replace Morgan, I don't know.

You're right though, our serve receive and passing went out the window. And their fireplug DS was killing us with her quick hitting serve that we seemingly couldn't adjust to......not sure how it went to 5 and then no idea how they found a way to win.

Comment

Yeah, when Morgan moves to the front row we lose a lot of fire power. Perhaps the same could be said when Kailin is in that role. They both do the best they can but at 5-11 both are a little undersized. Kailin is a bit more explosive and powerful. Kailin is hitting .166 on the season and Morgan at .135. Both of them do a pretty good job on the back row most of the time and are pretty good passers. Personally, I would prefer Kailin in the lineup but Lambo likes Morgan's enthusiasm and I'm sure there are other things I don't see as well.

Speaking of passing, Natalie doesn't get a lot of chances to dig and pass but when she does she is quite good for a long, lean middle blocker. She had 6 digs and several nice passes against Tulsa and even had 1 nice set to Brylee for a kill.

Speaking of enthusiasm I am not wild about the hard push to the shoulders celebration move that the two Morgan's use a lot. Last night, one of them, I think it was Weber, knocked Sophia to the ground with that celebration. I would ask them to find a little less physical way to show their enthusiasm. Those shoulders are kind of important body parts for our attackers. But again Lambo seems to like it and not to be concerned with it.

Comment

During the second set, I was reminded that Tulsa won at Houston. That was sure hard to believe.....until set 3, then 4, and even set 5 where Tulsa came back from a small deficit early and began taking control. Kudos to our gals for not breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Now 7-2 in five-setters.
            So how does this season stack up in terms of 5-set matches in Shocker history you may ask? Here is my official unofficial analysis:

Sideout Scoring Era - Pre-2001:
            1988: Overall Record 21-14; 3-7 in 5 set matches
            1991: Overall Record 25-13; 6-4 in 5 set matches
            1998: Overall Record 17-17; 4-6 in 5 set matches

Rally Scoring Era - Post-2000:
            2006: Overall Record 25-7; 3-4 in 5 set matches
            2008: Overall Record 30-2; 5-1 in 5 set matches
            2012: Overall Record 24-10; 4-3 in 5 set matches
            2014: Overall Record 20-10; 5-2 in 5 set matches
            2015: Overall Record 27-9: 7-2 in 5 set matches
            2018: Overall Record 14-18; 5-4 in 5 set matches

So this year is 1 match shy of the most 5 set matches played in a season behind the 1988, 1991 and 1998 seasons during the sideout scoring era. However, this year's 7 wins exceeds the number of 5 set wins during those 3 years.

The nine 5-set matches played this year ties the 2015 and 2018 seasons for most 5-set matches played and ties the 2015 team for most 5-set wins in a season.

Of course this years total has been after only 24 matches compared to a total of 32 to 38 matches played the five top years just noted.

A good chance we have not seen the last of 5 set matches this year as well.

I think a lot of this has to do with playing in the AAC which is a very competitive league from top to bottom although that makes winning 7 of 9 even more impressive. The 2015 team was still in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Speaking of enthusiasm I am not wild about the hard push to the shoulders celebration move that the two Morgan's use a lot. Last night, one of them, I think it was Weber, knocked Sophia to the ground with that celebration. I would ask them to find a little less physical way to show their enthusiasm. Those shoulders are kind of important body parts for our attackers. But again Lambo seems to like it and not to be concerned with it.
              Yeah she dropped Sophia like 3rd period French.

Comment

Working...
              X