Shockers at Temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers at Temple

The Shocks continue their "weekend" with a match in Philly against Temple.

The Owls are 1-8 in the AAC, their only win being 3-2 at home against USF. The Shockers are now 6-3 in conference play.

I can't catch the start of this one and hopefully, it will be over before I am back. This match completes the first half of conference play.

I'm not taking anything for granted with this Shocker team. If they don't show up focused and ready to play they could lose to Temple. Temple was swept by Tulsa on Friday (19, 23, 23) but it was a competive match. The Shocks need to keep the momentum going.

SCOUTING TEMPLE:
    • The Owls enter the match 5-15 and 1-8 in American conference play.
    • Temple is allowing opponents to hit .250 on the season, the worst mark in the American. In AAC play, that number stands at .254.
    • The combination of Taylor Davenport and Chelci Banks forms a strong block, as the freshman duo ranks second and fourth in the conference in blocks per set at 1.28 and 1.12, respectively.
    • Temple ranks last in the conference in aces per set. The Owls do not have a single player in the top 20 of the conference rankings in aces.
    • Temple was picked sixth in the American preseason poll, two spots ahead of Wichita State.

Comment

Go Shox! Creighton knows all about getting upset by sh***y teams while on long trips to the east coast (albeit not quite as sh***y of teams as Temple). Hopefully you can dodge the upset bug. Shox broke into the Top 50 in RPI today and (to enhance Creighton’s resume’) I’d like to see them stay there!

Comment

Originally posted by JayPak View Post
        Go Shox! Creighton knows all about getting upset by sh***y teams while on long trips to the east coast (albeit not quite as sh***y of teams as Temple). Hopefully you can dodge the upset bug. Shox broke into the Top 50 in RPI today and (to enhance Creighton’s resume’) I’d like to see them stay there!
        Other RPIs from the AAC of interest are
        31 - UCF
        49 - Cincinnati
        50 - Shockers
        52 - Houston

Comment

Unable to watch or closely follow the Temple match live but was able to check in. Tied at 1-1 with Temple winning Set 1 25-22 and the Shocks winning Set 2 25-21.

I'll have to check out the replay later.

Update: The Shocks finish off the Owls 25-18 and 25-19 in Sets 3 and 4 to secure their 7th straight win to finish the 1st half of AAC play at a suprising 7-3.

Kayce, Brylee and Natalie continue to carry the Shocks.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 24, 2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

The Shockers win in 4. Equally of interest, Houston losses to ECU in 5 after winning the first two.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Natalie is improving by leaps and bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                The Shockers win in 4. Equally of interest, Houston losses to ECU in 5 after winning the first two.
                ECU has been much better since Sydney Kleinman got back into the lineup at tthe beginning of October but sure did not see this one coming.

Shocks now in a 3-way tie for 2nd with Houton and Cincinnati.

Comment

Other Sunday Matches

UCF 3-0 Memphis
                  15, 21, 22

Houston 2-3 ECU
                  (24), (17), 22, 18, 9

Tulane 0-3 Cincinnati
                  24, 24, 19

USF 1-3 SMU
                  16, 19, (23), 16
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; October 24, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The Shocks outhit Temple .216 to 142. This was the Shocks lowest hitting percentage during their 7 game winning streak. However, Temple's hitting percentage was the lowest by an opponent in the last 5 matches. The Shocks kill percentage at 39.2% was okay but the attack error rate of 17.6% was higher than you would like.

Temple wasn't bad from the service line with 4 services aces and 5 service errors but the Shocks had their best serving match of the year with 8 service aces and only 4 service errors. The Shocks had 11 blocks to 10 for Temple.

Natalie was 18-3-36 = .417 plus 3 block assists.

Brylee was 13-4-30 = .300 plus 2 block solos and 2 block assists and 3 service aces with no service errors.

Kayce had 48 assists, 16 digs, 3 block assists, 3 service aces with no service errors and hit 4-1-8 = .375

Morgan S and Sophia did not do much today. MorganS was 5-3-15 = .133 but she had 6 block assists. Sophia 6-7-23 = -.043 which was very disappointing after seemignly having found her game again at Tulsa.

Kailin played today was was very active but had mixed results. Kailin hit 12-8-36 = .111 and contributed 8 digs plus 2 service aces with no errors. MoganW got into 3 sets but did not get on the state sheet.

Sophia and Kailin combined for 15 errors on 59 swings which is a 25.4% error rate. Kailin for sure could be knocking off some rust but that needs to come way down. Sophie did not play much today but either Sophia or Sophie needs to step up with more consistent production.

With 3 of the next 4 agains UCF, Houston and Tulane the challenges for the Shocks get tougher.

Comment

No Sophie Childs?

Comment

So is the elephant merely wounded or is it hiding and biding its time?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          No Sophie Childs?
                          The best I can tell is that Sophie subbed in with the Shocks trailing 21-24 in Set 1. A block by Kayce and Morgan S and a Temple kill ended the set an Sophie did not re-enter the match again after that.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            So is the elephant merely wounded or is it hiding and biding its time?
                            Yep. Not a peep from elephant crew. Go shocks!

Comment

If or when this streak ends the elephant patties will be back.

Comment

Working...
                              X